Post Thanks / Like

Default A nice little boost in a blah time

I have 3 small children and am basically a SAHM, so there will be no caravans to Cairo in my near future as far as a BD career goes. But I just wanted to share my excitement of the day with some like-minded folks who might be able to empathize.

With no performances in the near future to look forward to, and both of my regular classes either temporarily cancelled or in between sessions, I looked up where Sadie and Kaya teach since I live in the Denver metro area. The studio was not as far from me as I thought, and the class time worked out well enough that my husband agreed to put the kiddos down for bed in my absence...so I decided to drop in for a class.

Apparently they switch who teaches each class, and tonight's session was led by Kaya. Some of my "regular" instructors were students of the same BD teacher with Sadie/Kaya in their early years, so I know she knows them but I didn't mention this w/the small swarm of other girls wanting to also talk to her. After today's purchase of a new set of Saroyan zills (after 5+ years I've only had one pair of student zills my sister in law gave me) and dropping in for a class with someone whose style was so much fun to learn, call me a wild child!!!

Although tonight was a beginner level class, I'll never consider myself too "advanced" for working on the basics - especially since everyone's teaching style and focus is so different, and I believe there's always some different nuance to learn about a common move (e.g.). Kaya focused on pops tonight and ended the class with a fun little choreographed combo.

Am already scheming to attend next week's class since there's a long break scheduled after the current session, and then I go out of state for a month starting the week after next. Why oh why haven't I done this before?!?!?! They're starting an intermediate class in September, and I'd love to try that. Tonight's warm-up really felt like a Suhaila-style pilates drill, incidentally. Everyone was crying, but man was I sweating the entire class - it was great! One very cool thing I learned tonight is that they hire a live drummer to attend some of their classes - I won't be here for his next appearance, but how neat to have that in a regular class!

Anyone else have a nice pick-me-up to get you through the next milestone?
    Last edited by astro_girl; 06-21-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really wonderful, I hope you can get back frequently. I don't approve of the way they present bellydance to the general public but I have never heard anything but praise for their technique and their teaching ability.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

As I have said more than once here, I truly enjoyed Kaya as a teacher. She was cheerful, friendly, helpful, encouraging, and quite good technically. Her public performances aren't to my taste, but she taught a great workshop.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Sadie and Kaya seem like great teachers. I'd love to be close enough to take classes with them, although their style is very different from what I do, what I want to do, and what I most like to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

I would totally encourage anyone to take classes from them as their technique is right on, and technique is important, despite what I've heard to the contrary. I don't always like their performances but that's a matter of opinion.

I've also taken classes from a teacher that I considered to be par above excellence when it came to teaching but her performing wasn't so hot. I don't always find that how a performer performs to be the best compass for choosing a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm blissfully ignorant to some of the critique of these girls , it was great to see the sharp movements be focused in class....which is just what I'd hoped for.

We are lucky to have such a variety of instructors around here, I guess! I'll be sad when, in 2 weeks I go to visit my hometown for a month, that I'll be hard pressed to find a BD instructor (or time) since with all the babysitting help w/the kiddos, it would be an ideal time to gain some extra practice.

Ah well...

Post Thanks / Like

Play follow the bouncing butt with the kids. Put on some music & improvise like mad. That's how kids in the ME learn it, and they'll have fun copying you & you'll get in your practice time. Drill time is important, but improv time is moreso, because often as dancers we neglect improv time in favour of the choreo we need to learn by next weekend, the new move that we have to get just right or we'll explode, etc. Improv gets put on the back burner, so why not bring it out while you're babysitting the kids & that way you can get your dance practice in while keeping them occupied.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Play follow the bouncing butt with the kids. Put on some music & improvise like mad. That's how kids in the ME learn it, and they'll have fun copying you & you'll get in your practice time. Drill time is important, but improv time is moreso, because often as dancers we neglect improv time in favour of the choreo we need to learn by next weekend, the new move that we have to get just right or we'll explode, etc. Improv gets put on the back burner, so why not bring it out while you're babysitting the kids & that way you can get your dance practice in while keeping them occupied.
    I love that idea! It is so true, and although I was never hounded on this point I see a value in breaking out in at-home improv. to expand one's comfort level in performances. As partial testament to this, does it count that at almost every public place we go my husband asks my kids in a loud voice, "hey kids...show neighbor Jane how mommy belly dances!" and on command they pull up their shirts (my 3 yo son as well) and start doing large hip circles and shimmies while air zilling. I could choke him sometimes. LOL!!!!
    Last edited by astro_girl; 06-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.