Learning with injuries

Darshiva

I'm with you there. That's why I'm so glad my sprain wasn't worse (that and the idea of not being able to perform this Sunday makes me very sad). I live in a rural area too - in Australia if you do happen on a good doctor out here, they will be gone in 6 months, moving to a major city ASAP where they will be adequately compensated for their talent. (I don't mind them going where the money is, hell I would if I could just for my dance, I just wish that more talent stayed out here longer as it can be 10 years between good doctors & then we only have them for a few short months!)

Shiro

I've seen, and do, an exercise like that with squats. It is relatively easy on my ankle, even with the squats. My legs are very weak in general and it does really help. Of course, if I go down too low, it hurts, too high and I lose my balance, and too long and it hurts. I do about 20-40 when possible, but in chunks or in between exercises. Today I was using the squats with some arm isolations, it was pretty fun! I am very careful while doing it with the heel lifts, since I don't need another setback... It feels great to exercise again.

Shiro

I woke up to myself bellydancing in bed today... I wasn't dreaming about bellydance at all, but it's nice to know I can get a little bit of my daily exercise in my sleep. ;) The only problem is, I hurt my foot again in my sleep! I don't know what exactly I was doing in my sleep that would have cause that but I guess I'll just have to be a bit easier on my foot for a little while and hope I don't start dancing in my sleep again. I think I've officially found the reason why I wake up with pain in my oblique area, I apparently love to do hip shimmies while dancing in my sleep. I got a good laugh about waking up like that, I guess my boyfriend is lucky he's 2000 miles away so he doesn't have to deal with that :D :lol:

jenc

I hope you got an x-ray. I went to the drop-in clinic for minor injuries to get my foot strapped when I thought I had sprained it. I thought it would be quicker than going to Emergency. However They had run out of tubular bandage in my size so they sent me up to emergency - so I had to wait twice over. I did manage to get some crutches from there because I was going to a Folk Festival with plenty of walking. Anyway, I walked on the ankle a further 2 weeks when, turning over in bed, caused my ankle to scream out. So I went back to emergency, had an x-ray and it was broken.

I walked down to x-ray, and she was not allowed to tell me anything, so I* walked back up and eventually into the consulting room. As soon as I was told it was broken, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere without a wheelchair until it was in a cast.

Shiro

Yes, I got an xray. They had to xray my back also, because I have a very weak back, and I fell on it hard. I have injured my back before, but they x-rayed the part I fell on and it didn't have any problems. The most they did for me was give me a flimsy plastic dollar store splint and said to wear that the whole 8 weeks, I got an aircast instead, the flimsy splint didn't even keep my foot still... If I moved it moved with my foot. I'm glad my foot is mostly healed though, it definitely isn't hurting as much as it used to. It's kind of funny that when I first fell I was crying because of the pain, but after I got it xrayed and got sent home with vicodin, it hurt *so* much worse.