Learning with injuries

Shiro

Hi, all. I introduced myself a while ago, I had an injury to my foot when I joined. It is mostly healed up, the tendons that were torn have healed back together, but I still have a ton of problems with exercising and learning. I cant not learn, though. I feel quite miserable sitting in my office all day and attempting to dance in my chair, it's not fun. ;) Are there any instructional dvds that might be easier on my foot than some, or perhaps a leg strengthening section in a dvd that could be modified for re-strengthening my foot? I'm supposed to be doing stretches on my foot, which I do, but I would like a bit of help incorporating it into my daily exercise so I can get up and move again.

Thanks!

Greek Bonfire

You should get this type of instruction from a doctor or a physical therapist. I know of exercises for the foot, but without knowing exactly what happened to you, I wouldn't think it would be safe to give you this type of information. In the meantime, however, you could do your upper body isolations or practice with zills.

Shiro

My doctor wont go into specifics about it, she's seen it and she knows exactly what happened. She just says "foot stretching exercises". She also said she's sure my bellydance videos should have something in them, but I have over 20 so I don't have time to look through all of them. She doesn't approve of my bellydancing because I'm quite a bit larger than your "average" bellydancer, she lets me know that any time I mention my progress (maybe she's jealous ;))

I also do upper body exercises a lot, that is what I have been focusing on, but I have the most trouble with my lower body and would like to make more progress on it. I cant do things such as shimmying or any hip work other than slides or medium/large circles because my muscles are tight in my feet, it pulls on the muscles and hurts. This is the reason I'm supposed to be doing the foot exercises, but I don't know how I should incorporate them into my exercise.

I fell off a retaining wall and got a "level 2 sprain" on my ankle, meaning, some of the tendons, ligaments or muscles were torn a bit, but not all the way. It's been about a month and a half, and I've been given the green light to start exercising again.

Greek Bonfire

I think she may mean those foot exercises where you point the foot then bend it toward the ankle.

As far as not approving of your bellydance - let's just say this area is not in her range of expertise <LOL>

Daimona

Go to the pool and do your drilling excersices (particularly the basic moves for the lower body) while in the water (at a depth where you can stand close to the side of the pool, but most of your body is submerged), and you'll have a great workout without putting too much weight on your foot.

teela

What about the sensual belly dance DVD? It has a nice articulation section with nice foot stuff. My copy is at work and I'm not there so I don't remember what all it has and if its what would work for you. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Darshiva

Bellydance with Jrisi has some excellent foot exercises along the lines of what you are looking for, but I would probably start with the exercises explained in this post: http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/15531-level-changes-need-help.html#post187387

I've got a similar (if not so bad) injury in that I sprained my ankle during pole class, I've been using the Jrisi exercises and Aziyade's to build up strength in my ankles (using the opportunity to build up my weaker left side as well).

Also, I'd tell your doctor off for being so obnoxious, or just find another. What business is it of hers how your size impacts your dance? Isn't it more important to her as a doctor that you're getting regular exercise? The sizeist bs is ridiculous!

Yame

Wowwwww is this ankle sprain season, or something? I also sprained my ankle, about a month and a half ago... my sprain was very very mild but it still hasn't healed up :( I also know a few other dancers who recently sprained theirs.

I did a few performances just a few days after the sprain which just aggravated the problem. So I decided to rest up... which didn't seem to help either, but didn't make it worse. Over the last week it started to get better, but I still need to be really, really careful. I am avoiding jumps and spins altogether, but I am back to dancing, since I have some big shows coming up and this injury isn't serious enough to warrant putting them off.

In your case though, since your injury is more serious, try to give your feet a rest. Lucky for us, there is always something to work on that doesn't involve our feet. Here are some examples of things you can focus on until your foot gets better:

1. Belly rolls and flutters
2. Arm paths, snake arms, body lines and poses
3. Upper body isolations, perhaps while seated on a chair
4. Zills and other aspects of musicality

At this point, even doing standing isolations might be fair game for you, but I don't know how far into your recovery you are and if you still need to be off your feet. If you are okay to be on your feet, you are okay to drill isolations. Just avoid spins and turns, level changes, and anything that hurts or feels awkward.

Also, if I were you I'd find a new doctor. Saying you shouldn't dance because of your weight is preposterous. Assuming you are at what may be considered an unhealthy weight, how are you supposed to become healthy without exercise? Belly dance is one of the lightest forms of exercise out there, it could help one lose some weight or at the very least help one become used to exercise to be able to eventually move on to heavier, more cardio-intensive exercise. If belly dance isn't okay for you, I don't know what is. Plus, I don't like that she won't be any more specific about what kinds of stretches you should do. Does she not know, or does she not want to tell you? Either one would be a good reason to warrant a visit to a different doctor for a second opinion.

Here are some general exercises that are recommended for ankle sprains:

1. Pointing and flexing the foot
2. Foot circles, clockwise and counterclockwise
3. Drawing the whole alphabet with your toe, bending at the ankle

Shanazel

Me, I'd find a different doctor ASAP and PDQ, not only because it ticks me off that she disses you for doing BD (NOT her job) but because she won't give you specific exercises to do for your injury (definitely her job).

Honestly, the people they are letting out of medical school these days. :mad: The least she could do is direct you to a PT for instructions.

Aniseteph

Me, I'd find a different doctor ASAP and PDQ, not only because it ticks me off that she disses you for doing BD (NOT her job) but because she won't give you specific exercises to do for your injury (definitely her job).

Honestly, the people they are letting out of medical school these days. :mad: The least she could do is direct you to a PT for instructions.

:clap:

...she's sure my bellydance videos should have something in them...
...She doesn't approve of my bellydancing

So, bellydance good, or bellydance bad? :confused:
Seriously, acute injury apart, what sort of physical state would you have to be in for belly dance to be a bad thing medically? I'd have thought it's one of the safer and more adaptable options for getting up and about exercising, and would be something a doctor should thoroughly approve of*.

*in terms of health, that is. In terms of anything else I don't give two hoots what a doctor thinks any more than I care what the receptionist or the bus driver think. If they want to share their disapproval it'd be rude - if the doctor does it in a consultation it's rude AND unprofessional, IMNSHO.

Shiro

I tried the alphabet with my foot, and surprisingly it didn't pull on the muscles as much as I expected it to (and that's a good thing). I'll keep trying to do that every few hours. I've found that Vicks rubbed on the area that hurts and wrapped in a bandage helps with a bit of the pain I get from just walking around.

Yame, it does seem like it's ankle sprain season! The walk in clinic I went to said they got about 6 sprains in that day alone! It's crazy. I can't get a different doctor, there isn't anyone around me that takes my insurance (medicaid). I told her I'd give her one last chance to be respectful of me, and if she can't do that next time I visit, I'll probably end up paying a lot of money out of pocket to have a different doctor. It's not something I can really afford right now, as I have no income, but I do need a doctor that wont tell me to tough out pain that is quite chronic. I don't actually mind her telling me to lose weight, I agree with her. I'm about 220 ad only 5'3. I was 185 before I hurt my foot, so I've had to restart my progress. My goal is 150, that is as low as I'll go... I kind of like being a bit pudgy. I feel more comfortable being pudgy than I can imagine myself skinny. I've been gaining more weight since I started exercise, and my calves have almost busted through my jeans, so I'm hoping the 10 pounds was muscle! ;)

I can do standing isolations quite fine, as long as I'm not bending my knees too much. I can do things like hip slides or circles (medium or large only), but I cant bend them enough to do anything else, really.

Anisetaph, she made a snoody remark about the videos having something in them. She doesn't approve of the bellydance, but knows that her opinion on it doesn't matter to me. When she said that, she sounded quite sarcastic. I'm confident that there is a video that will have something that fits nicely into my daily routine in a video I have, though! I agree with you, also, about it being unprofessional. I enjoy bellydance because I can make it fit my needs, I can modify the movements to fit my body shape or make the movements bigger or smaller. I've gotten much more confident about myself, so, I don't care if she doesn't approve of my dancing, she's either jealous that she cant get herself to do it, or she has her head where the sun doesn't shine and cant realize how much bellydance has benefited my life.

Aniseteph

I enjoy bellydance because I can make it fit my needs, I can modify the movements to fit my body shape or make the movements bigger or smaller. I've gotten much more confident about myself, so, I don't care if she doesn't approve of my dancing, she's either jealous that she cant get herself to do it, or she has her head where the sun doesn't shine and cant realize how much bellydance has benefited my life.

:cool: Good for you. They will have to pry the veils/zills etc from our cold dead hands, right? ;)

I hope your ankle starts improving soon - joints and tendons and the like always seem to take ages to heal and it's so easy to set yourself back. (feeling fine today dance dance dance what injury?... Oh. Ouch. THAT injury, yeah, I remember now. :()

Take it careful and slow

Shiro

Yeah, I actually don't do zills or veils right now. I'm hoping to in the future, though! I cant do veils mainly because the only place I can dance and learn is my home office, which has 4 1-20 gallon snake enclosures. I don't need the cost of getting a new tank for my snakes because of a mistake with a veil (I'm really clumsy... Hah.)

I set myself back twice, actually. I twisted my foot while attempting, and failing, to modify an exercise in a way that I could sit while doing it, because it was hard on my foot. I cant remember what it was... It was a stupid idea, though.

It's time for some exercise right now, I've put it off for two days... My therapist (mental/emotional therapist, not physical) would like to to try to do 15 minutes of exercise a day to help with my foot and to keep my weight loss goal in mind. I'll probably try out a couple different videos, the ones I've been using are a bit hard on the foot or have too fast of movement for me to handle at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.

Darshiva

Get yourself a really good ankle strap (mine set me back about $40 AUD so you're probably looking at $25ish US for a good one) and wear it when you're practicing and when you're doing strength exercises for your ankle. That way you'll build up the strength without risking further injury through instability.

Shiro

I haven't heard of or seen an ankle strap. I do have a brace I wear on my foot while I exercise, or if it's swelling. I also wear a regular ace bandage on my foot if my foot is hurting more than usual. It really restricts what I can do, but it does keep me from twisting my foot and keeps my foot anchored while I'm standing straight. I'll look into it, but I wont be able to afford anything for a couple months. I lost one of my snakes a couple days ago, so I'm going to get my hair dyed white and blue... I don't know why, but the day after losing her I just told myself that I was going to do something I had dreamed of for quite some time. Having blue tips in my hair, or turquoise highlights would make me quite happy, white and blue are my favourite colours. It'll give me a reason to sit still for a while, since I wont be able to exercise while the bleach is doing its magic! Haha.

Darshiva

That's pretty much what I was talking about. I have a wrap-around strap type that means I don't stress the injury when I'm putting it on and that's what I wear when I'm dancing or doing strength exercises, and I just wrap it with a bandage when I have to do a lot of walking around or it's being all achy.

Don't spend any money if you don't need to.

Another thought occurs to me - perhaps you are in the habit of rolling your ankles when you dance so some movements are restricted by the brace? If so this is your opportunity to correct that. Even when I was at my worst I had no problems with most moves (horizontal and vertical 8s were a nuisance but doable, adding a height transition to either made my ankle too unstable & wasn't advisable) although, that said, turns were right out until very recently and I only had a mild sprain. Keep any dance training to a maximum of 10 minutes on your feet per day and break that into much smaller chunks. If you are going crazy with the want to dance (I know I was for about 3 weeks) watch performance dvds/vids - something you can study without having an urge to get up & give it a crack. Also, make sure you keep up with the icing until the swelling & aching subsides. (20 minutes ice, 1 hour no ice) Take it easy, dole out your daily dance allowance and you'll be back on your feet in no time.

ETA: If your ankle is still feeling all weak & loose even with the brace on when you're doing the moves, keep off it except for the strengthening exercises until it's feeling stronger.

Last edited:

Shiro

I don't find myself rolling my ankles. I have a habit of standing in one position until I feel completely balanced before exercising, which is bad if I need to hurry and do it, like if I have to sleep in 15 minutes, but good because it keeps me from having balancing problems.

With certain movements, with my weight, I tend to start falling over. I'm kind of top-heavy, so it throws my balance off a bit and I and up rolling my ankles around if that happens. I was told no ice after the 6th week by ambulance person who helped me out of the ditch I had fallen into. I do have to do some sort of exercise for at least 15 minutes a day, all at once (I've tried chunks of it) or my foot starts swelling up and filling with liquid. I really hate it when I can feel the liquid sloshing around if I take a step. Luckily I've had 2 weeks without and liquid in my foot, but I've been walking more and trying to move my foot.

I might have found my fit for a video, for now. Beautiful technique with Autumn Ward is slow enough for me, and I can get myself balanced out while she explains everything, so I can keep myself balanced and have the benefit of a slow and pretty easy workout. That makes me quite happy.

Darshiva

Sounds like you're on the right track then. I can get up to 15 minutes of dance practice on a good day (and at the moment that is all allocated to practicing for a performance this Sunday).

I can't give you advice better than what a health professional does, I can only tell you what has worked for me & to proceed with caution whilst healing. If you're having stability issues with your ankle still I would strongly recommend to not do any dance practice whilst on your feet in any way, and to focus on strength-building so that your tendons & muscles have a chance to remember how to support your ankle again.

Yame

Perhaps you can find another doctor who takes Medicaid, if you are willing to travel a bit farther. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but there has got to be more than one Medicaid doctor within your a 30-or-so mile radius! If you can find a decent doctor who takes your insurance, the travel will be worth it. You might be spending more time and more money traveling longer, but I'm sure it will be better than having to pay $150-$350 each time you have to visit the doctor.

If it still sometimes hurts for you to stand, maybe that's a sign you should be off your feet more. Listen to your body, and find a doctor who will listen to you and give you proper advice.

Shiro

All the tips are very much appreciated.
I don't feel any pain when standing, unless I was walking a lot, which is usually the case when I see my therapist. I'll go ahead and say that I actually don't get out of my chair much. I spend 12-16 hours in my office every day. I don't have many friends, except for ones that live very far away. I'd have to walk a mile just to get to the bus and ride for a few hours just to get there and see them. It's pretty much the same with doctors. Living in the "boonies" is very rough when it comes to finding a good doctor.