Are hip bumps lebanese?

Chantal

Hi all,

This question stems from an incident I had at a party. Since I am not very knowledgeable about the difference between the styles of Egyptian, Lebanese and Turkish, I wanted to put this question out there.

Well at this party i was doing some Bellydance moves on the dance floor when the mother of one of the girls in the crowd was asking me how to do some of the Bellydance moves that I was doing. When I started doing hip bumps this ladies daughter burst out: "No that's Lebanese!".

Now she did do some bellydancing but stopped because it is not for her but her outburst surprised me and I am not sure why she said that and what she meant, because even if it was Lebanese it is still bellydancing..Isn't it?
And are hip bumps mainly Egyptian or is it found in all the styles but in different variations, such as arms/legs are in different positions when executing the move?

I did not reply to her outburst, just gave her a confused look and carried on dancing but I would like to have been in position to correct her.

I would love to hear your input in this.

Yame

You need to describe what you were doing a lot more specifically than just by saying "hip bump." I can think of a number of things that could feasibly be described as hip bumps, and although I know of one specific move *I* would *personally* call a hip bump, this move may or may not be the one you are describing, since there is no standardized nomenclature in belly dance.

I think there are a number of things that could possibly explain the outburst:

1. Maybe she wasn't talking about you, but was saying something to someone else.
2. Maybe she was wrong and thought a move that is common in most belly dance styles was only a part of Lebanese vocabulary for whatever reason.
3. Maybe the way you were executing the move looked more Lebanese than Egyptian.
4. Maybe it really was a move that is unique to Lebanese belly dance, but I doubt that.

Chantal

Hi,

Hip bump I suppose could be called a hip snap..the glutes are used to make it sharper. It is like throwing your hips to the side to side but using your glutes to stop it and it is executed standing still or you can travel with it. Hope I am explaining it correctly.
I don't know how to post a YouTube link here but there are some videos showing this move, search for hip bumps.

I know she was talking to me cause she was looking at me and pointing at me.

I suppose it is difficult to differentiate between the styles...:think:

Chantal

Sorry I meant to say at the end that it is difficult to differentiate between each persons perception of a move.

I do understand what you are saying, made some good points.

Thanks.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

About 90 percent of the movement vocabulary of our dance is shared by any/all of the ethnic styles.

It's almost impossible to say any one movement is "Lebanese" or "Egyptian" style, since there is so much crossover between the two. Certain movements may be executed a certain way based on stylistic trends, but it's not like it's "illegal" or wrong to do them when you're just dancing.

Sounds to me like someone was trying to look like an authority who wasn't. I tend to answer smart-asses with "Oh that's interesting, but it's not what I've observed in my experience." You can't argue with that because each person's experience is different.

For what it's worth, I've seen Randa do some seriously sharp hip bumps, and if you look at old b&W movies, you'll see sharp hip movements to the side. Some of Fifi Abdo's hipwork is sharp enough to cut bread.

Greek Bonfire

That's a real strange thing to say. Hip bumps are a big part of most ME dancing that, to my knowledge, no one single entity can claim credit for. I've heard stuff like this before, such as the Greeks saying they invented tsiftitelli, and then the Turks saying they did. I've even seen on one Turkish music CD that the Turks ALONE created bellydance. I wouldn't get too upset about it because everyone claims credit for a lot of things that are not necessarily true and vice versa.

Yame

Ahh... that's what I would call a hip bump, too. I'm not sure why someone would think or say that's a "Lebanese" move. I think it's a belly dance move in general.

Chantal

Ahh... that's what I would call a hip bump, too. I'm not sure why someone would think or say that's a "Lebanese" move. I think it's a belly dance move in general.

Well that's is exactly what I thought and why I was so taken aback :shok:

Sounds to me like someone was trying to look like an authority who wasn't. I tend to answer smart-asses with "Oh that's interesting, but it's not what I've observed in my experience." You can't argue with that because each person's experience is different.

Thanks I will remember that. I think she was jealous and trying to be a smartass because of the attention that I was getting when everyone found out that I am a bellydancer. They all wanted me to teach them some moves and she stopped that with her outburst.

It is sad when someone does not have any appreciation or respect for what you do.

Farasha Hanem

Well that's is exactly what I thought and why I was so taken aback :shok:

Thanks I will remember that. I think she was jealous and trying to be a smartass because of the attention that I was getting when everyone found out that I am a bellydancer. They all wanted me to teach them some moves and she stopped that with her outburst.

It is sad when someone does not have any appreciation or respect for what you do.

It's RIDICULOUS when someone lets envy take control of their mouth. -_-

I'm sorry that you had such an experience, and that she put a damper on your enjoyment. People like that, though, generally are seen for what they really are, so don't let it bother you anymore. It's not worth the effort. *hugs*

Chantal

This is why I love this forum! :D

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom and support!
It really pepped me up :dance:

Amulya

I was thinking that a hip bump is the opposite of a hip drop, but I assume that it is a bump to the site, am I right?
What would you call the thing that's opposite of a hip drop, where the hip goes up instead of down. I was told that's Turkish.

Daimona

I mean a hiplift that's done rather hard and quick, like 'trowing it in the air' :p

I may be wrong, but how about one of these:
Hip snap
Hip bump
Hip piston (or is this something completely different?)

Last edited:

Amulya

I know what you mean -- the energy goes out at an angle rather than up? I usually associate that with Turkish dance and old-school American Oriental.

Yes that one! It used to be very popular with dancers of the south of Holland. I guess they all had the same teacher at one point, because they reall ALL did it.

Elfie

I was thinking that a hip bump is the opposite of a hip drop, but I assume that it is a bump to the site, am I right?
What would you call the thing that's opposite of a hip drop, where the hip goes up instead of down. I was told that's Turkish.

I learned it as a Turkish bump, so that seems right.