Post Thanks / Like

Default In Tribute to our "Dancestor"--Marliza Pons

Marliza Pons Memorial Fund

The legendary belly dancer and instructor, Marliza Pons, passed May 2, 2011 and urgently needs your donation to be placed into her final resting place. She worked all her life in a dance career and did not have so much as Social Security to help with funeral expenses when she passed. She cannot be placed to rest until the balance on her account is wiped clean and paid in full! Please reach into your heart and make an effort to help today. If 900 people collectively give as little as $5, we will have her needs met. I know there are more than 900 people in the county who knew of her. Even if you never studied under the Great Marliza Pons, the legacy of her dance style has influenced many who still continue to teach or perform on stage today. Whether you realize it or not, her contribution to this dance has trickled down to you, to us - technically or visually. You know her; she is not a nameless, faceless stranger you may never meet.

We have raised $1500 towards the $4355 goal. This will help pay for her creation, urn, vault, memorial expenses, obituary, the fees on her storage unit, and a tree that will be planted in a local park to honor her.

She urgently needs your help to be honored in her rightful place, with the dignity and respect she deserves. For the price of that gourmet coffee, think about what a difference you would make contributing to a cause as worthwhile as Marliza. You will be able to know that every single penny of your money went directly to doing something good for someone so worthy. Pay it forward, and may you be blessed by your donation today.

Marliza Pons Memorial Fund

Last edited by Samira_dncr; 07-03-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: added photo

Post Thanks / Like

Default A bit more about Marliza

For those of you who are not as familiar with Marliza, here is an interview that is posted on the Gilded Serpent.

Gilded Serpent Interview with Marliza

Additionally, Delilah of Seattle (Visionary Dance Productions) also wrote a blog about Marliza's passing.

Delilah's Blog

And here's a bit more about her passing written by her close friend and respected dancer, Rossah Bendaman.

Rossah's Writings

She's mentioned by name in the IAMED article: Belly Dance History ~ An American Odessey - by Helen Waldie

Marliza was given a cast credit for the television show Crime Story Season 1 Episode 20 as the belly dancer (although they misspell her name). She also played the role of Princess Akana in the 1969 feature "The Mummy and the Curse of the Jackals!"

I realize there has been some concern over whether this is legitimate. Please know that I have known Rossah for many years and I can assure you that she's worked hard to make sure there is a legitimate memorial fund set up in her honor.

Your donation is tax deductible. This is made convenient to you by providing you several options:

1) You may walk into any Wells Fargo or Wachovia bank and ask to make a deposit into the “Marliza Dance Memorial”, Account # 3650002599.

2) If you wish, you may make a donation electronically by using the PayPal link above to transfer your funds, OR

3) You may email me off-list for an address of where to send a check. Please make your check payable to the Marliza Dance Memorial.

Pay pal Link

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=BPZR22AXRKHBC