Zills Help please

Amlet

Hi! I want to buy some new zills, but I dont know what zills to buy. I need them for american Tribal style. I saw this ones, AFGHANI CYMBALS, German Silver MC-800S (Cymbals for Tribal Performances) but they are a litlle expensive (Set of four: $65.00). I then saw the fat chance bellydance Zills (FCBD Signature Zils - $45.00 : Fat Chance Belly Dance, Catalog) but i don´t know if the sound is good :confused:
Does anyone have this Fat chance bellydance zills? If yes can you tell me more about them? Can you even post a video showing them and respective sound?
I accept other sugestions :)
Thank you :)

LilithNoor

My teacher has the FCBD zills, and OMG, talk about loud!

They have a lovely note, very clear and sweet, but they drown out everyone else when used in a group. They're also a lot larger than your average zill, so you may find them heavy or clumsy to use.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hi! I want to buy some new zills, but I dont know what zills to buy. I need them for american Tribal style. I saw this ones, AFGHANI CYMBALS

I LOVE MY AFGHANIS !!! But I play the brass ones. Slightly different tone. And I'm not a tribal girl :)

I think typically ATS dancers prefer a lower-toned cymbal like the Afghanis. If you're dancing with a group, it might be best to see what the other group members are playing, so you all sound alike. :)

Greek Bonfire

Most tribal groups I've seen do use the smaller zills, or else they would drown out the music if there were that many loud zills, although I do love the sound of the louder ones coming from on-stage!

Rashidah

I've got zills from Turquoise International Size B (2 1/2") and they are gorgeous :) and the sound is really good:D.

They also have finger cymbals in Size A and C. Size A is for beginners (small size) and I've read somewhere that Size C is especially for tribal bd dancers ... but I'm not sure about that.

Lara

I love, love, love my bronze afghanis- all of the heavier weight Saroyans, honestly, BUT- I have had students who really violently disliked certain sets, so if you have a chance to hear a few sets in person to pick out what you like, so much the better! I like the silver Saroyan pros, but one of my students took such a strong dislike to them that it made her stop playing. I convinced her to try a pair of the grecian silvers and she actually likes zilling now! Personally, the nefertiti brass (silver is okay) really set my teeth on edge and are forbidden in my classes. I'd rather let you use loaner zills, my brain literally can't function listening to that particular tone. Point being, *everyone* reacts to tones differently.

Also consider what the rest of the troupe is using. Certain tones really clash with each other, and I do require my students to choose between certain specific sets for group use (you can use whatever you want for solo work!) so you might check with your troupe leadership. (Since you said ATS, I'm assuming you're working within a troupe, forgive me if that assumption is wrong!)

& a final consideration- Saroyans are really good quality instruments. They are worth paying for. $65 is nothing when you consider most other musicians are paying hundreds to thousands of dollars for their instruments! Like other instruments, it is worth investing in one you will actually enjoy playing- makes learning so much easier!