the REAL saidi stuff

Safran

I just realised that the saidi section of my music collection is mainly made up pop saidi songs. Can you all look into your music stash and suggest some proper folcloric saidi pieces/albums.

Thanks in advance and a dum-tek-dum-dum-tek :lol:

shiradotnet

I just realised that the saidi section of my music collection is mainly made up pop saidi songs. Can you all look into your music stash and suggest some proper folcloric saidi pieces/albums.

Look for music by Metkal Kenawi / Metqal Qenawi.

DO NOT go for the CD titled Best of Saidi (performed by Fatme Serhan) because the music on that CD is not Saidi. However, if you are also interested in baladi music, then do get that CD anyway, because it has some excellent baladi music on it. It's just misnamed.

Last edited:

Safran

Thanks for the tip, Shira, I'll try to find something from Kenawi.
And the "Best of saidi" CD I already have - I knew about Fatme Serhan beforehand, so I knew what I was getting :lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
Had a look through my collection and came up with these songs. Perhaps something in there that you'll like.

saidi salamat -outi of cairo
Saidi Ya Wad- Sami Srour &Souheir Zaki (album Cairo Plus)
Sahrwiyah- sertrak (album Layali Zaman)
Shab Saidi- Mario Kirlis (with his typical sound, so not a rough as the "REAL" deal ;))
Sallam Allay- Cairo Orchestra (album Bellydance Classics with Fifi Abdou.)
Gana el Hawa and Mazamir Holiday (and many more, and of course Luxor Baladna) - Upper egypt ensemble
Saidi Rara- Al Ahram Orchestra/ Virginia presents Khan al Khalili
Saidi Party-gizira band
Hanady-Yousry Sherif (feels like borderline pop)
saidi- Talisman (oriental Fantasy vol 12) (a more orientaldance kind of Saidi, softish)