Thread: Hi!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi!

Hello everyone,

This forum looks very friendly and helpful. I can't say how excited I am to have found it. I started belly dancing in 2003 or 2004 and I was dedicated for about 2 or 3 years. The environment of the studio and the attitude of the instructor drove me away... she was literally incapable of saying a nice thing about any other dancer... and then began talking negatively behind students backs to other students (i.e. me!). I was sad to leave but I can't stand that.

I just began with a new group in February of this year. The girls are a 100% better, as far as attitude and cattiness goes, but I still don't feel completely comfortable with them.

I look forward to learning, sharing, and getting feedback here when I am uncomfortable there. I would like to work on creating my own choreography and work on being able to improvise. I am horrible at improvising. My base experience at the first studio was like, technique drilling and strict choreography. She didn't do anything that cultivated us moving freely or creating our own combinations. It's kinda embarrassing to me. I feel like a white girl that can't dance in the club when improv time is thrown at me lol. If I think about it I can string combinations together, but I can't just flow with it off the top of my head... I also like off the wall music and would be worried about asking the teacher for any advice choreography wise since she's kinda traditional. As much as I love her and as cool as she is, I still think she would shoot my gothic music down before I even got to the next thing. lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Kamala - welcome to the forum! I am glad that you are dancing again. Give yourself time to be comfortable with improv. Many dancers take awhile to be able to do it (myself included) but allow yourself to relax and it will come to you. Just try to feel comfortable in your own skin and most of all, practice as often as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. Glad that you have found a new dance class. After a while you will probably feel more comfortable with them. As for improv, that can take time for you to feel easy with it. I floundered around with improv for a while, but began by having 2 to 3 combo's I was comfortable with and kind of tucked them in my "back pocket" so if I felt lost I could haul 1 or 2 or of the 'comfort zone' combo out. The other thing I did, was sit with the music and imagine what sort of movements go with parts of the music, I would jot those down then play the music and try the steps out and also add in other steps that seemed to fit, I became more and more comfortable as time went on, and it is important to know your music inside out back to front, and upside down You will get there, it is all practice, practice, practice
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to meet you too, Kevin. Post an introduction in the new members section so others can meet you too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Nice to meet you too, Kevin. Post an introduction in the new members section so others can meet you too.
    That kevin fellow was a spammer - he has now gone where all spammers go
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)