Belly Dance and Busking, Opinions?

indrayu

I've seen someone in ATS costume busking solo. It looked a bit strange to me, without the whole tribe and only a tinny little portable sound system. So it didn't work brilliantly. Most passers-by just kept passing by.

Would love to see it with the right costume, (agree about the folky/earthy side of glitz for solo outdoors, informal, daytime), a lot of confidence and good audience as well as dance skills - live music would help draw the crowd but then you'd have to share the takings!

Caelyn

I've done it before-- well, sort of. before I started dancing, I played guitar and sang with a local pickup group of musicians that played for haflas and such. (Then one day I couldn't contain my curiosity about what it would be like to learn to dance myself. :) ) Anyway, we played and danced once on the grass before an outdoor classical music concert in the park, and once in a spot designated for street performances downtown. For the latter, we had to attend an open audition and then after we were approved, we signed up for a time slot. People seemed to enjoy it, but we weren't very persistent with trying to get tips. We were mostly just doing it for the fun of it and no one really expected to get paid.

I agree with the poster who said that live music makes a huge difference. (of course, I may be biased there because as a singer and musician, I would rather be asked to join in the fun than be replaced by an mp3. ;) ) Getting together a full ensemble for street performances is tricky, but even a solo drummer or a trio of musicians is much better than recorded music IMHO.