Translation of Lila, My Love?

Amulya

ETA: found out what the song was, need lyric translation now :)

I have a few mixed CDs dancers on Bhuz made for me for the Christmas present exchange years ago, but they weren't able to tell me which songs those were :(. Yep, that happens when things are copies... (of copies of copies of copies maybe!)

There are some beautiful songs on them and I want to identify them and buy the original CDs. Is there somewhere I can upload the songs so people here listen and identify them for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

LeylaLanty

Thanks, I haven't tried it yet because I have found out: Amazon.com: Belly Dancing with George Abdo: George Abdo: MP3 Downloads

It's Lila, My Love from George Abdo, but now I need the lyrics!

I don't think this is it, it got the same title:
Lyrics: Lila My Love
but would this be the translation?

No those are not the lyrics to the George Abdo song. Note the line at the top of the lyrics page:
© 2002 Rick Norton / J Richard Wilcox
Author: J Richard Wilcox

The content of those lyrics sound like a western folk or country song.

Amulya

Yes I noticed that, but was still hopeful I had found the lyrics. Can anyone help me find them?

Amulya

Thanks :) I love George Abdo's songs, I am planning to buy the whole collection. I am thinking of using Lila, My Love for a performance but just want to know the lyrics first. It's not often used by dancers, I could only find 2 youtube clips of dancers using it. Just want to make sure there is nothing inappropriate in the song haha.

LeylaLanty

Thanks :) I love George Abdo's songs, I am planning to buy the whole collection. I am thinking of using Lila, My Love for a performance but just want to know the lyrics first. It's not often used by dancers, I could only find 2 youtube clips of dancers using it. Just want to make sure there is nothing inappropriate in the song haha.

You're welcome. I love his songs too. I have all his albums on vinyl and CD and I don't think you need to worry about appropriateness of any of the pieces for dancing. He created those albums for dancers to use based on the music he played for dancers during his night club career.

"Lila, My Love" in particular is mostly "vocalise", that is melody without words, or with words like "aman, aman" or "yaaaaa", both commonly used in Arabic singing to express deep emotion. I just listened again and a lot of the words are not clear enough for me, a non-native speaker, to understand, but from the title, he's expressing deep emotion about his beloved Lila.

Kraliche

I learned a choreo to this song in a workshop with Camelia of Paris.

I tried to dig out a note .... but I couldn't find it. If I remember correctly, the song is about my love Leyla is gone and never come back, I am sad ... my life is gone ... something like that.

mmm.... not much help, sorry.... we did this song with veil, no gestures, just sad, so I didn't pay too much attention:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Amulya

It sounds like a very dramatic sad song, so beautiful. I am tempted to use it for something, can't decide if I choose a sad or an upbeat song. A sad song has more challenges which can be good too.