is this saiidi?

Safran

Well, the music that starts about a minute into the video clip could be considered a pop-saidi piece. However, the dance itself is just a Mahmoud Reda-inspired perfrormance.

Safran

And I wanted to add that it is nice to see an Egyptian-themed performance that does not rely on the pharaonic or harem theme for a change.

inesko

thank you very much.
i can recognize traditional saiidi but unusual costumes and unusual music that sounds like saiidi confused me

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Keep in mind that just because you hear the Saidi rhythm, it doesn't mean the song is actually ethnically Saidi. And even if it's loaded with mizmar, or actually uses a traditional Saidi melody, it doesn't have to be considered a Saidi song.

In the mid 80s, saidi rhythm replaced maqsoum as the dominant rhythm in pop music. And with the popularity and inexpensiveness of an electric keyboard, fake mizmar and fake accordion sounds can be found all throughout popular music in Egypt.

Kashmir

NO! No, no no! It isn't even Egyptian - let alone sa`iidi. This is ballet character dance - the same company "does" tarantella, horumi, Romanian, pontozoo.

Clues are the music - not Egyptian ; movement - wrong, wrong wrong (WTF is that movement at 57 seconds???); feeling - wrong. The arms and feet are definitely not folkloric. Not even Reda would try and pass that off as sa`iidi.

But the costume would work for sa`iidi.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I was going to say I really quite liked the dresses! I haven't seen A-line or flared dresses like those around here. They move quite beautifully.

Jeanne

I really like the dresses, too -- I wouldn't mind having one.

And I agree that this is more of a ballet character piece than anything else. Pretty, though.

I saw this company once, years and years ago before I had any kind of dance training. I wonder now what I would think of the authenticity of any of their pieces, but at the time I thought they were just the coolest thing ever.

Tarik Sultan

The dance is Egyptian inspired, very balletic, but considering the fact of who they are they did a good job. Could have been worse. At least it was tastefull. The music is Egyptian. The drum solo is from a Saidi band, I have it somewhere in my pile. The second song is a jazzed up version of a Saidi song. From the instrumentation it sounds like the Jeel stuff that was popular in the 80's. They often take old folk and classical songs and remake them. Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 the original is much better.

Here's an example of Metkal Kenawis Buss Al Halawa and his son's remake.

Also keep in mind that Saidi music doesn't have just one sound, it has many aspects. Also, its not uncommon for Saidi bands to play songs thast aren't Saidi, for example Oum Kalthoum songs or other pillars of classical Egyptian music.

The real way to know if something is Saidi or not is to actually know the songs. Quite often you hear a Shabbi song, but unless you know the original, you wouldn't know its was a remake of a Saidi song.

This means you have to put in some time to listen to as much of the stuff as you can and ask questions.

Generally a Saidi band consists of these basic instruments:
1. Rababba- 2 string fiddle
2. Mizmar - Obo like horn
3. Tabla
4. Tabl Baladi - looks like the drums in marching bands
5. Nay - reed flute

Youtube is a great resource to start exploring:

Hind

Metkal Kenawi :dance: Bos ala l'halawa or el bint baida, I love these songs and dances. Very traditional! I have the chance to learn with my teacher who was trained by teachers as May Kazan among others and we dance all the shaabi, ghawazee, tahtib etc etc and not in a ballet way lol to show people how egyptian people dance. It is too bad that this dance (and others shaabi style) is becoming rare or danced mostly in a cabaret way...