Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I can sort of understand the rationale that certain moves are done on certain sides, but the right bias bothers me.

I've recently switched tribal teachers and am learning a mixture of styles with a hefty dose of creativity thrown in, and the problem feels a lot better, not least because it's assumed we know the basic moves so we don't spend 20 minutes at a time drilling choo-choos.

Post Thanks / Like

I teach classic AmCab and tell my students to practice both sides equally though they only need do fancy things on their dominant side during a performance. In group choreography I do tend to favor right side dominance since I only have one or two lefties who long ago learned to compensate for the inabilities of us righties.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

It's curious that choreographies tend to be more right-dominant for the dancers. From the (mostly right-dominant) audience point of view, looking at the right side of something comes more easily than looking to the left (isn't that why books open the way they do?). We're making the audience do the work! So all of us right-dominant people should be more considerate to the audience, let the left-dominant dancers lead the way, and excercise our left sides more
    Last edited by indrayu; 08-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea, Indrayu. I think the reason so much is right-sided is because w're all told to practice our weaknesses and perform our strengths!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

try Pilates, it a great body conditioning exercise that will tone and strengthen your left and right side! there's lots of dvd series from Stott Pilates you may want to check out online

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting topic. It looks like we all suffer from the "one-side syndrom". My right movements also tend to be smoother than the left, or at least that's how it feels. For example my chest circle always seems to work much better when I do it starting from right to left, but the opposite is terrible. I feel the movemtn gets stuck somewhere. So, I'm just trying to practice it more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherezade View Post
    This is an interesting topic. It looks like we all suffer from the "one-side syndrom". My right movements also tend to be smoother than the left, or at least that's how it feels. For example my chest circle always seems to work much better when I do it starting from right to left, but the opposite is terrible. I feel the movemtn gets stuck somewhere. So, I'm just trying to practice it more.
    It might just be because one side is dominant over the other, but it's quite annoying...I recently saw the same thing happening with my chest AND hip circles. :\
    It almost feels like a "pop" when the movement doesn't go right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12