Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floorwork

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floorwork

Hello all!

I've been working on floor work for a good while now, and while I can see my progress coming along - and slowly at that - I have trouble with one particular aspect of it.

Getting back up off the darned floor LOL!

I'm not saying I can't get back up, because I can. But doing so with grace? Not so much.

I have learned that if I'm going back to standing, it helps to do some torso moves and arm movements to detract from my less than graceful return to an upright and standing position, but it feels like a trick rather than what I should be doing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Elfie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elfie View Post
    I have trouble with one particular aspect of it.

I'm not saying I can't get back up, because I can. But doing so with grace? Not so much.
    My tip: lift from the perineum area (the pelvic floor). A lot of strength and power can come from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Floor jacks work good. Having two handsome totally ripped young men lift you up is good, too, but more expensive since they usually expect to be paid.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

It is likely to be lack of ab (or quad) strength. Crunches - without engaging the hip flexors - and bridges may help. This is the final prod for me to write a nice clear explantion and stick it on my site. I'll be back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    It is likely to be lack of ab (or quad) strength. Crunches - without engaging the hip flexors - and bridges may help. This is the final prod for me to write a nice clear explantion and stick it on my site. I'll be back
    I look forward to reading it.

Shana, two hunky monkey guys would sure do it. But just for practice, I guess I should try to get up of my own volition. Hiring two hunks every day might get a tad expensive.

Shira, I'm not sure how using my pelvic floor will help me get from my knees to a standing position. Can you explain?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all!

I've been working on floor work for a good while now, and while I can see my progress coming along - and slowly at that - I have trouble with one particular aspect of it.

I have learned that if I'm going back to standing, it helps to do some torso moves and arm movements to detract from my less than graceful return to an upright and standing position, but it feels like a trick rather than what I should be doing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Elfie
    Hey there ~Elfie, I have a video I did on getting up from the floor for beginners, just the basics, It's how I teach my students to get up and it works well for beginners I will post the link below here if you would like a tip on how to get up it's just a youtube link.

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to reading it.
    Okay - here it is Abdominal Strengthening

Post Thanks / Like

A set of bad knees ended my floor work about fifteen years ago, which is just as well since most people do not want to see a lady of my age and dignity undulating at ankle height.

Before that, though, I did a lot of wall sitting to strengthen my legs (back against the wall, legs bent so you are in a sitting position; hold until you collapse; repeat daily). Running and distance walking helped, too, as did good old basic plies from ballet.

(Story alert: all those who hate "I remember when" tales stop reading now)

A few years ago I had a couple of new students in my class who thought my suggestion of long distance running and/or walking as part of a dance program absurd. Heck, if an old person like me could dance for a whole two hour class, hot chicks like them wouldn't even break a sweat. So I put on a good old fashioned 25 minute AmCab routine from the seventies and instructed the class follow my bouncing butt. My older students knew what was coming and paced themselves. The two new gals collapsed during the floorwork and couldn't get up. (Hee hee hee.) Fortunately they had great senses of humor and are still my students.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we just have a pretty good thread about this subject a few months ago? I can't puzzle out where it is from the search though. Anybody?

Post Thanks / Like

Goddess Yasaman's recent videos on YouTube really take apart this particular aspect that I would highly recommend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast