Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floorwork

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Goddess Yasaman's recent videos on YouTube really take apart this particular aspect that I would highly recommend.

Thank you for the Recommendation Bonfire I hope to help anyway I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elfie,

you may want to try Pilates, (if you haven't already they have amazing floorwork exercises to tone and strengthen the legs, buns, thighs, and it will be easier for you to ascend from the floor. I love floorwork!! it was one of my early stages in BD that I learned. here's a youtube vid you may want to checkout. Remember Pilates is all about slow and controlled movement that will give you long term results.
    Best Regards!

Pilates workout to tone the butt and thighs - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I'd second Pilates. Make sure you have a well trained teacher and seriously consider a couple of one on one sessions before joining a class. (Correct technique is important to get good results - this may include the instructor feeling your muscles)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Floor jacks work good. Having two handsome totally ripped young men lift you up is good, too, but more expensive since they usually expect to be paid.
    Where do I sign up for a couple of hot Amazon babes to lift my sorry @$$ off the floor?

I could justify the expense by having them carry me onstage in my palanquin!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pay to watch that one Zorba, and I am very much NOT a fan of floorwork. (long story, ask privately if curious)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Where do I sign up for a couple of hot Amazon babes to lift my sorry @$$ off the floor?

I could justify the expense by having them carry me onstage in my palanquin!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a DVD for floorwork:
    Flawless Floorwork :: Belly Dance Floorwork :: DVDs by Category :: Cheeky Girls Productions

I love their DVDs, highly recommend them

Post Thanks / Like

I already do simple pilates (you know the kind that you get on DVD )and yoga both. I run three times a week and do extensive workouts everyday, always varied so that my body never gets too used to any one thing.

My main problem is that I'm clumsy. Very clumsy. When we first moved into our new apartment, I was heading out for a run. I don't run miles or anything, just a few laps around my block. Anyhow, as I was going down the stairs to our front door, I fell down the last five or six stairs, landing with all my body weight on my left ankle. It turned hard enough to dislocate it, of sorts anyhow, and within minutes my ankle was the size of two softballs. I couldn't walk or exercise for three or four weeks. My whole body is a plethora of bruises, most of which I have no idea of how I got them. I'm clumsy as all get out. It's not even funny. Strangely enough, I'm not dangerously clumsy. I've only broken two or three bones. But small injury? Sprains, pulled muscles, cuts, bruises, torn tendons and the like... that's me. Constantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like me: always bruiced LOL. Not clumsy while dancing though, very odd

Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually perform floorwork, because it's not part of my chosen aesthetic, but I'm seriously considering trying to study it seriously after the baby is born, just to get back into shape and build strength.

The dvd Amulya recommended is AWESOME! But my gosh, it's hard stuff. She starts with a Pilates-based strengthening program, and you really need to work on that stuff for a few months before moving on to the actual dance stuff.

Ruby's a FABULOUS dancer, but she makes it look easy, so don't be fooled! LOL. She's also an excellent teacher. I would recommend her dvd to anybody wanting to develop their floorwork skills, or even just to develop that core and lower body strength that is so hard to develop with traditional exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    This is a DVD for floorwork:
    Flawless Floorwork :: Belly Dance Floorwork :: DVDs by Category :: Cheeky Girls Productions

I love their DVDs, highly recommend them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast