How do you start?

farasharaks

I was wondering what is the best way to start performing professionally? Do you put up a website? do you look for gigs in restaurants? I've been dancing for several years, perfecting my technique, doing workshops, performing at local haflas and events, etc. But would like to take it to the next level, and was wondering what do most dancers do? Or how did you market yourself as a professional bellydancer? Thank you!

Samira_dncr

Well, I haven't danced professionally in a long time, so I don't know how much I have to contribute. Probably the thing I hear the most often is to make sure you know that going rates in your area and to not undercut the other professionals. Start high and negotiate down.

Salome

Administrator
If you've got the skillz, the costumes, the music, and the desire :)... You need to get some promotional materials grouped, a business card and a promotional website. Have a short and sweet about you blurb, some pictures and some video clips for potential clients to review. Get that together before you try to get hired somewhere. Restauant work is a common starting place for paid dancing. Also bellygrams... if there is a telegram type service in your area you might check with them.

Yame

Be sure to network with other dancers. A great way to start is by doing gigs together or subbing for more experienced dancers. Sometimes these are dancers you know well, other times these are dancers who just saw you at a hafla or BD event. Be sure to have some business cards that you can hand out to other dancers (or to potential clients) if they ask.

But know your local rates first... set up a chart for how much you will charge for each type of gig based on the local rates. That way whenever someone wants to hire you, you are ready.

I'd tell you to get a website too, except I still don't have a website, myself! :lol:

MissVega

In my case people approached me and word of mouth was my main "tool" I guess. However this is while I was at University, so now that I have finished and moved back home and no one really knows that I am here yet I feel that the website is what is most needed.
Everything everyone else said as well:) All great advice. Also applying to perform at local multicultural events and/or festivals is great exposure as well. :D

Amulya

Get promotinal fiers and hang them up/hand them down (at some places you can leave a pile of fliers) at places where people might be looking for dancers or teachers. Or of there is limited space business cards. MissVega's idea is a good one.

I don't know if you're planning to teach, but if you teach at community centers you get students through them and that way you can build up a group of students, you might later want to move to s studio, but note that some students are not willing to relocate as studio lessons are more pricey than community center ones. Subbing for other teachers is an idea too, some of their students want a second teacher and these teachers might refer to you :)

lily_raks

Are you currently taking classes from a teacher or teachers who dance at restaurants or other venues? I got my first opportunity through my teacher who brought me in to the restaurant as a sub and now I dance more an more. And like Yame said, networking with other belly dancers in general leads to opportunities. I got another gig through a fellow belly dancer. And once you're dancing somewhere, the exposure will get you more and more gigs (private parties or more restaurant work). If you have a teacher or mentor who gigs, you can ask if she can consider you as a sub.

About websites. I am still working on my website. So far I only have a "coming soon" page with my contact info. Not a lot but helps.

Crystalllized

Find a mentor! There is so much about professionally performing you can't learn in a technique or performance class. Talk to your mentor/teacher about audience interaction, ways to protect your self and business, how to dance for different kinds of events, etc. Restaurant work is a good way to start building interaction skills. You'll need a website, business card, business license and liability insurance if you are performing for private events.