Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Aziyade, thanks so much for those articles. Incredible. Makes a whole lot sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ana_bat View Post
    I've dabbled in belly dance for 3 years now but mostly Tribal (and Tribal Fusion) and now I've decided to seriously study Oriental Dance. I'm horribly confused and I really feel like I need some leads as to where I can get reliable information to understand the various dance styles out there (to know the differences between them who some prominent dancer to check out are), the various styles of music that there are.
    Some good ideas above - but I'd like to restress watch lots of good, experienced dancers. And if possible on DVD - not YouTube - a lot of sublety is lost on video - triple that for most YouTube clips. You need to watch over and over - and compare with another dancer/style - watch similar together - then different. Pretty soon you will see patterns.

Be aware though that there are big differences within styles - and that there are changes over time. Actually even teh same dancer will do things different with different music or venue or experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ana_bat View Post
    One thing I noticed that came to mind, is how do I know if the moves I'm performing are appropriate to the music? I hear about so many different styles of dance and music what if I were to perform a lovely routine but to the wrong sort of music that was better sorted for veil or something?
    There are two aspects to this. One, the moves match the sound of the music (and you can follow the drum, the melody or the voice - and normally switch between within a piece). Yes, some instruments say up or down - but there are also differences within an instrument. If the drum is going tek-tek-tek you move differently to barooom-barooom. If there are two or more sounds happening that is when you bring your layering in - or not. (But generally limit layering on a plain piece)

The other side is cultural appropriateness. For this you have to study folk. Even if you never intend to perform folkloric dance, a fully rounded dancer needs to be able to know, say, how to move with sa`iidi or khaleegi (or Rom or debke). You need to recognize the music and have at least a couple of moves you can pull out. Almost as important what not to do - veil and floaty arms with beledi springs to mind

This you need to be taught by someone with experience. This you cannot "just feel" what to do. When looking for a folkloric teacher ask where they learnt. You want it to go back to first sources within a few generations. Ideally it will also be someone who has learnt from multiple sources - not just attended one workshop!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ranya Renee had a comment to make on this thread, so hopefully she'll come back and address it when she gets a chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12