Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Football (american version)

Any American football fans on here? If so...which teams are "yours?"

I watch with little to no comprehension, I admit...but I enjoy the game from time to time...and I root for the Pittsburgh Steelers (place of birth team) and the Denver Broncos (favorite city and city most associated with my childhood team).

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE American football! I am a Bears fan although they aren't all that great. And I never miss a Super Bowl.

Post Thanks / Like

I was an avid fan back when my dad was alive and I could watch footbal ith him. Now I go years without seeing a game- just not the same without Daddy. I have uncles and cousins who are fanatics, though. Or make that fan-addicts.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

American football is a brutal display of male aggresion. In my younger days, I much preferred the gentle sport of boxing.

It is perhaps strange for a Floridian, but the New England Patriots were my favorite team. I tend to root for the underdog, and the Patriots were about as under as you could get. Seems like only the New Orleans Saints and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were worse, way back when I was still following the sport.

If memory serves, New England finally made it to the Super Bowl in the 2000's and won, but then they lost in their second attempt (with a little help from the refs). That was the last pro football game I ever watched. Even if I still had the telly, the interest simply isn't there like it once was.

[FWIW, my interest in boxing waned evern earlier. Leonard vs. Hagler was a disappointment, but Foreman vs. Morrison was the finisher. In belly dance contests, at least the loser isn't bruised, battered, and hurting like hell when she finds out that she has lost by points awarded from a judge.]

Fotia: Your claim to never miss a Super Bowl reminds me of a good joke. If you haven't heard it yet, contact me by PM.
    Last edited by Erik; 08-20-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: misspelling

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. Must be patient. Don't click twice here.
    Last edited by Erik; 08-20-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Double post

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow I go to Jets vs. Bengals pre-season game to shoot photos. I go to both Jets & Giants games as photographer. You might see me on TV

Because of I love in NY, my team is NY Giants. I like NFC, so Giants is my team. I HATE New England, so when Giants beat NE and destroyed their perfect season to win the Super Bowl, you have no idea how happy I was. I still smile when think about that SB.

Greek Bornfire: I used to Bears fan because my boy Cedric Benson was drafted by Bears in 2005. I went summer camp when he was in Bears. But he wasn't happy, and team and fan wasn't happy. So, when he moved to Bengals, he was really happy. (I spoke to him when he came to Jets game) I think Bears are cursed by QB! They need stable QB. Hester and Peanuts Tillman are my favorite Bears.

So, beside Giants, I I'm more like player's fan than team fan. I like Pitt's Polamaru. I also watch college football, and I like both college and NFL.

Post Thanks / Like

American football is a brutal display of male aggresion. In my younger days, I much preferred the gentle sport of boxing.

Oh, Erik, you have such a sense of the absurd! Welcome back after too long an absence.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

@Pirika Repun: Aw, why be such a hater on New England?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post

Oh, Erik, you have such a sense of the absurd! Welcome back after too long an absence.
    Thanks, Shanazel! Your mention of fan-addicts may have also helped to remind me of that joke which I heard years ago.

A guy goes to the Super Bowl and has a seat in the nosebleed section. He spies an old man with a perfect seat on the fifty yard line, and the seat beside him is empty, so after a while he goes down and asks if he can have the seat, and the old man tells him he is welcome to it. Then the old man explains that the seat was for his wife. They had attended every Super Bowl since the first one in 1965, saving their money all year and traveling as far as they needed to go, but now she had passed and for the first time he was at the Super Bowl alone. The guy was perplexed and asked if the old man didn't have a friend or family member who could take this seat. The old man thought about it, shook his head, and said, "No, they're all at the funeral."

See, it wasn't dirty. Maybe just a little morbid.

Post Thanks / Like

Pirika, I remember that game and I was so excited when the Giants beat the Patriots I couldn't stop screaming! And don't forget how the Bears just smeared the Patriots in 1986; the Patriots got us back in later years though.

Erik, is that the joke you referred to? That's really funny and may not be that far from the truth!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Erik, is that the joke you referred to? That's really funny and may not be that far from the truth!
    Yeah, GB, that's the joke. I remember a few football jokes, but that's the only Super Bowl joke I know. I heard it sometime in the 90's but still cannot remember who told it to me. If not for your post and Shanazel's I probably never would have remembered it again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast