Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I've been on this forum. But since you are discussing NFL football I thought a few words on the game would be in order ~

Long standing Giants fan here. No surprise since I grew up in God's Country - that's Brooklyn, NY to those who don't know it. Was so glad to see the total team effort made by my Jints in this epic struggle vs the Pats:

Punter Steve Weatherford set the table by his deep punt which forced the Bad Guys ... oops, I mean, the Pats near their own end zone. This was the proximate cause of that early "safety" which cost them 2 points.

Chase Blackburn was a forgotten player thought by many to have no more than a marginal chance of making it as a pro. While lacking speed and strength, he has good instincts and made a timely interception which killed a Pats drive.

The Jints defensive line, as usual, was dominant.

The receivers did great despite the fact that both tight ends were injured and could not play.

But the key to me was the overlooked work of fullback Henry Hynoski. Now I am an old school football fan and believe that a winning team needs a dominant fullback. HH at 266 lbs fulfilled that role with his tough blocking which enabled QB Manning to throw unimpeded and which opened the field for other runners. You might recall the great work previously done by Maurice Carthon when the Jints won their first two Super Bowls. He was a superb blocking fullback and did his work without the fame and glamour assigned to most positions on the field.

When a team makes this total effort with everyone making some contribution like each of these players, you now see how the team wins a championship. What a game it was!

GIANTS ~ Super Bowl Champions!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The loser pays up

Last night I was trying to decide if that was really a woolly mammoth sighted in Siberia when this came up. Nice to know that there is another Patriots fan besides me out there. Poor Maria. It's sad to see a professional journalist humiliated like this, but some might argue that it is good exposure for her.

Maria Menounos: Bikini bare in Times Square to pay Super Bowl bet - latimes.com

Maria is not a complete stranger to belly dance. There was a clip of her on YouTube taking lessons. I also seem to remember her interviewing Dolphina for EXTRA years ago but cannot remember for certain. I won't post these because I don't want to get into trouble for posting on topic in the off topic category.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirika Repun View Post
    Today (technically yesterday) we had Tick a tape parade downtown New York City. I really wanted to go to the parade, but if I took day off it'll be too obvious that I went parade to all people in the office, so I just watch highlight on TV.

In this morning on the radio said that MTA, LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit all mad extra service to/from Manhattan from 9AM to 3PM. Many people wear blue to support/ cerebrate our team. Then Giants went MetLife stadium for pep rally around 3PM.

I heard this Super Bowl was most watched SB, and Madonna's half time show was the top rated for SB half time show. However, I didn't remember much of CM this year. Some of them already saw before the SB, and some of them were re-play type of CM from the past.

Next big thing is combine for college players, then NFL draft. I wonder who gonna be #1 pick? Maybe Andrew Luck or RG3 (Robert Griffin III) ? I hope rG3 will be #1 pick, and he really deserve it!

Until then, I watch college basket ball, and March Madness baby!
    Ticki tape parade, where the hell did they get those things today, that is from ancient computers that punched dots to answer a question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Ticki tape parade, where the hell did they get those things today, that is from ancient computers that punched dots to answer a question.
    Guys, it's ticker tape parade. And the IBM punch card came later, in the 20th Century. Pirika has not answered, so hopefully you will not mind if someone who never went to college gives it the old college try.

I've seen stock tickers in period movies and telly episodes. Little mechanical gadgets under a glass dome that used a telegraph to transmit current stock prices on a thin tape of paper. Like modern computer printouts I imagine that roughly 90% of it was a waste of trees because it was never read by anyone, and the remaining 10% was trash soon after it was read, so they used old ticker tape for parades in NYC. Khanjar, ticker tape is long obsolete, but I would guess that any strips of paper could still be used for that purpose and called ticker tape out of tradition, yes?
    Last edited by Erik; 02-12-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: redundancy

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know anything about IBM and old punch stuff. "Ticker tape parade" is just name for the parade where we throw "Shredded paper".

Usually these parade are in downtown near City hall, and many offices around there. These office people throw shredded paper from window for the parade. I don't know any origin or anything, but just we do for these sports event parade. We did for Yankees when then won the World Series, we did 4 years ago for Giants. This is just a name and tradition, I guess. I don't know if other part of the US do the same thing when their sports team win the championship, but in NYC we do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234