Football (american version)

LadyLoba

Any American football fans on here? If so...which teams are "yours?"

I watch with little to no comprehension, I admit...but I enjoy the game from time to time...and I root for the Pittsburgh Steelers (place of birth team) and the Denver Broncos (favorite city and city most associated with my childhood team).

Shanazel

I was an avid fan back when my dad was alive and I could watch footbal ith him. Now I go years without seeing a game- just not the same without Daddy. I have uncles and cousins who are fanatics, though. Or make that fan-addicts. :lol:

Erik

American football is a brutal display of male aggresion. In my younger days, I much preferred the gentle sport of boxing.

It is perhaps strange for a Floridian, but the New England Patriots were my favorite team. I tend to root for the underdog, and the Patriots were about as under as you could get. Seems like only the New Orleans Saints and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were worse, way back when I was still following the sport.

If memory serves, New England finally made it to the Super Bowl in the 2000's and won, but then they lost in their second attempt (with a little help from the refs). That was the last pro football game I ever watched. Even if I still had the telly, the interest simply isn't there like it once was.

[FWIW, my interest in boxing waned evern earlier. Leonard vs. Hagler was a disappointment, but Foreman vs. Morrison was the finisher. In belly dance contests, at least the loser isn't bruised, battered, and hurting like hell when she finds out that she has lost by points awarded from a judge.]

Fotia: Your claim to never miss a Super Bowl reminds me of a good joke. If you haven't heard it yet, contact me by PM.

Last edited:

Pirika Repun

Tomorrow I go to Jets vs. Bengals pre-season game to shoot photos. I go to both Jets & Giants games as photographer. You might see me on TV :lol:

Because of I love in NY, my team is NY Giants. I like NFC, so Giants is my team. I HATE New England, so when Giants beat NE and destroyed their perfect season to win the Super Bowl, you have no idea how happy I was. :D I still smile when think about that SB. ;)

Greek Bornfire: I used to Bears fan because my boy Cedric Benson was drafted by Bears in 2005. I went summer camp when he was in Bears. But he wasn't happy, and team and fan wasn't happy. So, when he moved to Bengals, he was really happy. (I spoke to him when he came to Jets game) I think Bears are cursed by QB! :shok: They need stable QB. Hester and Peanuts Tillman are my favorite Bears.

So, beside Giants, I I'm more like player's fan than team fan. I like Pitt's Polamaru. I also watch college football, and I like both college and NFL.

Shanazel

American football is a brutal display of male aggresion. In my younger days, I much preferred the gentle sport of boxing.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, Erik, you have such a sense of the absurd! Welcome back after too long an absence.

Erik

@Pirika Repun: Aw, why be such a hater on New England? :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, Erik, you have such a sense of the absurd! Welcome back after too long an absence.

Thanks, Shanazel! Your mention of fan-addicts may have also helped to remind me of that joke which I heard years ago.

A guy goes to the Super Bowl and has a seat in the nosebleed section. He spies an old man with a perfect seat on the fifty yard line, and the seat beside him is empty, so after a while he goes down and asks if he can have the seat, and the old man tells him he is welcome to it. Then the old man explains that the seat was for his wife. They had attended every Super Bowl since the first one in 1965, saving their money all year and traveling as far as they needed to go, but now she had passed and for the first time he was at the Super Bowl alone. The guy was perplexed and asked if the old man didn't have a friend or family member who could take this seat. The old man thought about it, shook his head, and said, "No, they're all at the funeral."

See, it wasn't dirty. Maybe just a little morbid. ;)

Greek Bonfire

Pirika, I remember that game and I was so excited when the Giants beat the Patriots I couldn't stop screaming! And don't forget how the Bears just smeared the Patriots in 1986; the Patriots got us back in later years though.

Erik, is that the joke you referred to? That's really funny and may not be that far from the truth!

Erik

Erik, is that the joke you referred to? That's really funny and may not be that far from the truth!

Yeah, GB, that's the joke. I remember a few football jokes, but that's the only Super Bowl joke I know. I heard it sometime in the 90's but still cannot remember who told it to me. If not for your post and Shanazel's I probably never would have remembered it again.

Pirika Repun

I'm New Yorker, so we HATE teams in Boston area such as "Red Sox", "Celtics" and "Patriots" No reason just we HATE them, and they hate us. ;)

I went Jets vs. Bengals game today, yes if you saw game on TV it was pouring rain in 1st half. I took photos just 1st half, because most of starters sit down after the 1st QTR in Bengals, and 1st half for Jets.

When Plax (Jets WR) made TD in end of 2nd QTR, he was in front of me, but I had only 70-200mm lens, and it was too close to get good shot. :( Plax & Santonio in the same team like they were back in the Pitt. But before that they were Big Ten rival Michigan St. (Plax) and Ohio St. (Santonio). I can't tell Plax haven't play about 2 years. I guess he practice in prison...

Jets looks good, but Bengals I don't know. So many new faces and rookie QB is still not fit to their system. I can tell they miss Ocho Cinco, and TO for sure.

GB: Talking about Bears, it was heart breaking for 2006 Super Bowl at Miami. It was my dream SB because I also liked Colts in AFC. It was also historical game that both head coaches are African Americans (I loved both coaches) and it was first AA coach to become SB champion. Plus, half time show was PRINCE! Two my favorite teams and PRINCE, so it was my dream SB. I wish Bears won because Cedric Benson was there even though he got injured in 1st half and couldn't continue to play, and Hester made really good opening kick off return TD.

Giants vs. Bears on Monday night tomorrow, but I'm not going to the game. I'll cheer for my Giants tomorrow. ;)

I can talk about football all day, all night, but I guess not may people on the forum interested in... :lol:

Greek Bonfire

2006 - don't remind me! Most of the fans didn't want Rex Grossman to play, as we didn't feel he was the man for the job. He certainly lived up to that belief. And Jay Cutler? Well, he has an awful lot of improving to do as well in my book, as he needs to get off of his "star" status and concentrate on playing football.

But the worst sort of behavior are the 49ers fans beating up and shooting Raiders fans. There is no excuse at all whatsoever for this type of criminal behavior.

Pirika Repun

GB
I won't say anything about Monday night's game. Bears @ Giants... (zip my mouth) ;)

Hey this is still PRE-SEASON, so you never now what's gonna happen during the regular season... :think: Two more weeks to shape up all rosters, so maybe Bears will start other QB.... Like Orton got starter job in 2005-2006 season....

I just don't understand fan's behavior. This is just a game after all... SMH :(

Greek Bonfire

GB
I won't say anything about Monday night's game. Bears @ Giants... (zip my mouth) ;)

Hey this is still PRE-SEASON, so you never now what's gonna happen during the regular season... :think: Two more weeks to shape up all rosters, so maybe Bears will start other QB.... Like Orton got starter job in 2005-2006 season....

I just don't understand fan's behavior. This is just a game after all... SMH :(

Aw, thanks! I'm not surprised though - that's all I'll say.

Fan behavior - people will start staying away if it becomes like gangbanger fans.

Erik

To Pirika Repun:

I haven't kept up with football this season but I overheard the talk today and it made me remember you. There is to be an apocalyptic showdown between your Giants and my Patriots. In the spirit of good sportsmanship I would like to say may the best team win, but if the best team can't win, may the Giants win. :D

Seriously, if the Patriots lose I just hope they don't lose 49-0 and limp off the field as if they've been stepped on by a 1000 lb football shoe. ;)

Last edited:

Janene Aliza

College Football, Anyone?

I enjoy pro (American) football, but don't really have a favorite team....my passion is college football (I LOVE it !!!)....both my granddad and his brother played college football and I grew up watching it with my granddad and my mom. My granddad's brother only had one arm (lost his left arm above the elbow in a childhood accident) but he made Little All-American in 1952 -- I read where someone said he played football like he had three arms !!!

My favorite college team of all-time? University of Alabama -- Roll Tide, Baby !!!

Erik

Ah, yes, Roll Tide. My constant daily reminder of where I am. No one here seems to care about pro football very much. It's either Alabama or Auburn.

I tell them, "It's just a football game. If you miss it there will be another." And they look at me sadly as if I'm just one of those poor fools who doesn't understand. :)

Pirika Repun

Hi Erick

In the spirit of good sportsmanship I would like to say may the best team win, but if the best team can't win, may the Giants win.
Oh, no wonder why Patriots won over Ravens. ;) :tongue:

Hi Janene
First of congratulations to your Alabama Crimson Tide for National Champions! They made revenge to LSU! Nick Saban is really good coach. Heisman finalist Trent Richardson had really good season. I met him when he came to NY for Heisman award. I took his photos, but all images in my card were gone. :shok: You have no idea how shock I was, because I took RG3's Super Man socks with red cape photo too, but all gone... :shok::(

Yes, I also big fan of college football. I don't have favorite team now, but I used to like TX Longhorns, because of my boy Cedric Benson.

I went Rutgers game when Ray Rice (now Ravens, RB) was there to take game photos. It was against Steve Slaton (now Dolphins, RB) & West Virginia game. WV killed RU that game, but I like collage games, because kids are more hungry to get NFL.

I like college basketball because of the same reason. I stop watching NBA (pro) because sometimes so obvious that which team NBA want to win, and more offense oriented high score game that totally turn me off. I love strong defense team, but 100 over points game is totally boring to me.

Anyway, 2 more weeks to Super Bowl, I believe "De Ja Vu" from SB XLII ;)

Last edited:

Janene Aliza

Hi Janene
First of congratulations to your Alabama Crimson Tide for National Champions! They made revenge to LSU! Nick Saban is really good coach. Heisman finalist Trent Richardson had really good season. I met him when he came to NY for Heisman award. I took his photos, but all images in my card were gone. :shok: You have no idea how shock I was, because I took RG3's Super Man socks with red cape photo too, but all gone... :shok::(

Yes, I also big fan of college football. I don't have favorite team now, but I used to like TX Longhorns, because of my boy Cedric Benson.

I went Rutgers game when Ray Rice (now Ravens, RB) was there to take game photos. It was against Steve Slaton (now Dolphins, RB) & West Virginia game. WV killed RU that game, but I like collage games, because kids are more hungry to get NFL.

I like college basketball because of the same reason. I stop watching NBA (pro) because sometimes so obvious that which team NBA want to win, and more offense oriented high score game that totally turn me off. I love strong defense team, but 100 over points game is totally boring to me.

Anyway, 2 more weeks to Super Bowl, I believe "De Ja Vu" from SB XLII ;)

Thanks so much for the congrats !! Too bad you don't still have the pics -- would liked to have seen them.
I love the passion of college football (not to say it's lacking in pro, by any means, though)...will tune in to the Super Bowl !!

Dev

I am not a football fan ( I did not understand the rules for many years )but in Australia its the most popular sport. I went to see several games with my friends and enjoyed the atmosphere , the cheering and the booing . Australian football is a bit different than American football , Its a mixture of Soccer , American Football , Rugby and some indigenous sport .They wear tight shorts and sleeveless t shirts and try to beat each other up in every possible occasion .

Last edited: