Football (american version)

Pirika Repun

They wear tight shorts and sleeveless t shirts and try to beat each other up in every possible occasion.

Dev, we are very civilized and don't beat each other. :whistle::tongue:

But they wear tight pants (shorts are too dangerous in many different ways ;) ) and some of them wear short sleeves even out side is -10C :shok:

"If you don't know the rule, just look at player's a$$" which I always tell my female friends :lol:

Dev

Dev, we are very civilized and don't beat each other. :whistle::tongue::lol:

I have to agree Australia is not the most sophisticated countries on this planet. ;)
Its pretty rough as you know.At first I was horrified to see people wear shorts at work. But I do the same now. I still don't go out not wearing shoes but it does feel pretty normal to me now that people wandering around without a shirt or shoes.

Last edited:

khanjar

Team sports. I never got it, sport in general I never got it, but I do recognise there are some in society that need to pit themselves against others to prove their worth, but to me in the UK at least, the national game; football, soccer to many other countries is verging on the neanderthal, what a person can be for what strength they have in their body, a measure of speed and strength, very little else to which most are handsomely rewarded with out of this world pay packets.

But maybe that's it, the rewards come to those who prove themselves in physical fitness, as the rest of us have been trained to use more brain than brawn, we need to remember who perhaps we once were when strength and speed was what made the difference between life and death.

But as a casual observer of games where a ball is the ultimate focus of attention, I will always defer to the game I used to play and play well, as speed was my forte; Rugby which is the nearest to the American game where in rugby body armour is a personal preference and not a prerequisite to appear on the field.

But alas after years of rugby Brits deriding the American game, an exchange was produced, a Brit in America and an American in Britain, where both decided each other's game was as brutal as their own, body armour or not.

But football being the default UK national game, a spectacle that brings out the worst in many and consumes so much in policing, I just see as the last vestige of any tribalism that is allowed to exist in our modern civilised society, tribalism contained no threat to those that rule, but the energy spent supporting something other than what the authorities fear most.

Erik

But football being the default UK national game, a spectacle that brings out the worst in many and consumes so much in policing, I just see as the last vestige of any tribalism that is allowed to exist in our modern civilised society, tribalism contained no threat to those that rule, but the energy spent supporting something other than what the authorities fear most.

At least one of the Roman emperors (Commodus) was apparently obsessed with gaming, but my studies indicate that the more sane Roman emperors (even if they did not get off on the violent spectacle) still understood the value of violent sports (gladiators, chariot racing, and brutal murders of Christians and imported wild animals) to channel the public aggression which might otherwise be turned against them.

That being said, all that is left to say is.........Go Patriots! Hit 'em hard. Hit 'em fast. Hit 'em low. And if they get up, hit 'em again. :D

Pirika Repun

GIANTS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!! :yay: :yay:

It was sooooooooo sweeeeeet that Giants beat NE Patriots AGAIN!

Eli was really cool head in 4th QTR, and I could tell everybody in the team trust him. When Ahmed Bradshaw accidentally made TD in 4th QTR, I was like "What he is doing!!!!" but G-men's defense did great job to stop NE offense! Final play's defense was soooooo beautiful!!

It doesn't matter record of regular season, but how they play in play off and Super Bowl! It was great game.

I don't think I'll buy jersey, but if I buy it, maybe Victor Cruz, or Hakim Nicks, then defense are either JPP (Jason Pierre Paul), or Tuck. But I like Ross (his wife is 400M Olympian Sonia Richard-Ross) and Roll too. So, too any player I like in Giants, so I don't think I'll buy jersey. LOL I still have Tiki Barbara's jersey though. Cedric Benson, I have Texas Long Horn and Chicago Bears with his autography, but don't have Bengals jersey... But I don't buy jersey anymore.

Anyway, I'm soooooo happy now! GIANTS baby! :D

Last edited:

Erik

New York :D:D:D:D

New England :(:(:(:(

Missed the game but from what I'm reading it was a good one right up to the end. The Newenglandas made the Newyawkas work for it, and it wasn't a complete blowout. Congrats NY.

Oh well, hopefully if NE makes it to the Super Bowl again, it will be against Denver. :pray:

Pirika Repun

New York :D:D:D:D

New England :(:(:(:(

Missed the game but from what I'm reading it was a good one right up to the end. The Newenglandas made the Newyawkas work for it, and it wasn't a complete blowout. Congrats NY.

Oh well, hopefully if NE makes it to the Super Bowl again, it will be against Denver. :pray:

Thanks Erik

Well.... Denver and NE are the same AFC teams, so they never against each other at Super Bowl. They against each other for AFC championship game, but not Super Bowl though. SB has to be NFC champion vs. AFC champion. ;)

Erik

Thanks Erik

Well.... Denver and NE are the same AFC teams, so they never against each other at Super Bowl. They against each other for AFC championship game, but not Super Bowl though. SB has to be NFC champion vs. AFC champion. ;)

Super Bowl History

You're right. I must have confused Denver with another team, possibly because Green Bay played Denver and New England in consecutive Super Bowls.

To Mosaic: Thanks for teaching me to copy and paste a URL.

khanjar

At least one of the Roman emperors (Commodus) was apparently obsessed with gaming, but my studies indicate that the more sane Roman emperors (even if they did not get off on the violent spectacle) still understood the value of violent sports (gladiators, chariot racing, and brutal murders of Christians and imported wild animals) to channel the public aggression which might otherwise be turned against them.

That being said, all that is left to say is.........Go Patriots! Hit 'em hard. Hit 'em fast. Hit 'em low. And if they get up, hit 'em again. :D

We live with the remnants of the british Empire which is sadly lingering too long in some quarters, but the British Empire followed the Roman example, particularly in it's trade orientated wars, so it stands contained stadium games serve the same purpose as what many Roman rulers knew, and quite frankly if they wish to remain in power, I don't blame them.

But Commodus was exemplified in the Movie ''Gladiator'', where the ''satisfy the mob with blood'' rule was displayed to us all, it doesn't take much to compare what was then to some of our more popular aggressive games in our modern age.

The same mentality exists when people go to watch car racing, everyone wants to see a pile up and yes, true, when I used to watch rugby, there was nothing better than watching a game of mud and blood, it kind of made standing in the pouring rain worthwhile.

Pirika Repun

Today (technically yesterday) we had Tick a tape parade downtown New York City. I really wanted to go to the parade, but if I took day off it'll be too obvious that I went parade to all people in the office, so I just watch highlight on TV.

In this morning on the radio said that MTA, LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit all mad extra service to/from Manhattan from 9AM to 3PM. Many people wear blue to support/ cerebrate our team. Then Giants went MetLife stadium for pep rally around 3PM.

I heard this Super Bowl was most watched SB, and Madonna's half time show was the top rated for SB half time show. However, I didn't remember much of CM this year. Some of them already saw before the SB, and some of them were re-play type of CM from the past.

Next big thing is combine for college players, then NFL draft. I wonder who gonna be #1 pick? Maybe Andrew Luck or RG3 (Robert Griffin III) ? I hope rG3 will be #1 pick, and he really deserve it!

Until then, I watch college basket ball, and March Madness baby! :D

sultan

Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I've been on this forum. But since you are discussing NFL football I thought a few words on the game would be in order ~

Long standing Giants fan here. No surprise since I grew up in God's Country - that's Brooklyn, NY to those who don't know it. Was so glad to see the total team effort made by my Jints in this epic struggle vs the Pats:

Punter Steve Weatherford set the table by his deep punt which forced the Bad Guys ... oops, I mean, the Pats near their own end zone. This was the proximate cause of that early "safety" which cost them 2 points.

Chase Blackburn was a forgotten player thought by many to have no more than a marginal chance of making it as a pro. While lacking speed and strength, he has good instincts and made a timely interception which killed a Pats drive.

The Jints defensive line, as usual, was dominant.

The receivers did great despite the fact that both tight ends were injured and could not play.

But the key to me was the overlooked work of fullback Henry Hynoski. Now I am an old school football fan and believe that a winning team needs a dominant fullback. HH at 266 lbs fulfilled that role with his tough blocking which enabled QB Manning to throw unimpeded and which opened the field for other runners. You might recall the great work previously done by Maurice Carthon when the Jints won their first two Super Bowls. He was a superb blocking fullback and did his work without the fame and glamour assigned to most positions on the field.

When a team makes this total effort with everyone making some contribution like each of these players, you now see how the team wins a championship. What a game it was!

GIANTS ~ Super Bowl Champions!

Erik

The loser pays up

Last night I was trying to decide if that was really a woolly mammoth sighted in Siberia when this came up. Nice to know that there is another Patriots fan besides me out there. Poor Maria. It's sad to see a professional journalist humiliated like this, but some might argue that it is good exposure for her.

Maria Menounos: Bikini bare in Times Square to pay Super Bowl bet - latimes.com

Maria is not a complete stranger to belly dance. There was a clip of her on YouTube taking lessons. I also seem to remember her interviewing Dolphina for EXTRA years ago but cannot remember for certain. I won't post these because I don't want to get into trouble for posting on topic in the off topic category.

khanjar

Today (technically yesterday) we had Tick a tape parade downtown New York City. I really wanted to go to the parade, but if I took day off it'll be too obvious that I went parade to all people in the office, so I just watch highlight on TV.

In this morning on the radio said that MTA, LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit all mad extra service to/from Manhattan from 9AM to 3PM. Many people wear blue to support/ cerebrate our team. Then Giants went MetLife stadium for pep rally around 3PM.

I heard this Super Bowl was most watched SB, and Madonna's half time show was the top rated for SB half time show. However, I didn't remember much of CM this year. Some of them already saw before the SB, and some of them were re-play type of CM from the past.

Next big thing is combine for college players, then NFL draft. I wonder who gonna be #1 pick? Maybe Andrew Luck or RG3 (Robert Griffin III) ? I hope rG3 will be #1 pick, and he really deserve it!

Until then, I watch college basket ball, and March Madness baby! :D

Ticki tape parade, where the hell did they get those things today, that is from ancient computers that punched dots to answer a question.

Erik

Ticki tape parade, where the hell did they get those things today, that is from ancient computers that punched dots to answer a question.

Guys, it's ticker tape parade. And the IBM punch card came later, in the 20th Century. Pirika has not answered, so hopefully you will not mind if someone who never went to college gives it the old college try.

I've seen stock tickers in period movies and telly episodes. Little mechanical gadgets under a glass dome that used a telegraph to transmit current stock prices on a thin tape of paper. Like modern computer printouts I imagine that roughly 90% of it was a waste of trees because it was never read by anyone, and the remaining 10% was trash soon after it was read, so they used old ticker tape for parades in NYC. Khanjar, ticker tape is long obsolete, but I would guess that any strips of paper could still be used for that purpose and called ticker tape out of tradition, yes?

Last edited:

Pirika Repun

I really don't know anything about IBM and old punch stuff. "Ticker tape parade" is just name for the parade where we throw "Shredded paper".

Usually these parade are in downtown near City hall, and many offices around there. These office people throw shredded paper from window for the parade. I don't know any origin or anything, but just we do for these sports event parade. We did for Yankees when then won the World Series, we did 4 years ago for Giants. This is just a name and tradition, I guess. I don't know if other part of the US do the same thing when their sports team win the championship, but in NYC we do. :cool: