Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CREAKS! SWEETIE! Where ya been?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post

Such a cute shimmy at min. 3.43

And to be at least a little bit more topic-related: love the advices in this thread! Thanks! They're like a motivation-booster for me right now (as I was kinda discouraged yesterday ) Always keep in mind: "The journey is the reward!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. I'm really happy that I started this thread as it seems irt's helping us all a lot, including myself. Yesterday, for the first time in the 4 months, I felt that I got the hang of things and also for the first time, the hippo feeling didn't take over! I am sure it was because of your contribution to this thread, so THANK YOU!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome and good for you for conquering hippo-itis.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default You know Sherezade...

no hippopotamus ever thought of itself as clumsy and ugly-moving creature!

Sometimes, i think that all our fears and anxieties exist because we have interalised so much (any) criticism, instead of keeping it in the place it should be. And we succumb to our fears and anxieties any time we start a new venture, as if a real hippopotamus would ever try to dance (would it?)....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    no hippopotamus ever thought of itself as clumsy and ugly-moving creature!
    No, of course not. No animal knows what clumsiness is except for humans. We tend to be too rational sometimes and I am a very good example of it, unfortunately. Maybe because I come from a background where negative criticism is far more spread than positive. I still remember my parents telling me off when I went home with a bad mark in a test but never got much praise when I went home with a good one. Anyway, long gone...

I have also realised that it's better for me if I follow my own rhythm instead of trying to catch up. I mean, we are just practicing moves, not exactly rehearsing a choreography, so if I make a mistake, I guess it's better if I concentrate on myself instead of trying to see what others are doing and... instinctively comparing myself to them. That's when the hippo-feeling takes over... When I think others are doing better than me.

But hey, it's true, hippos can even be cute and funny animals.

Post Thanks / Like

And in their element, which is water, they are incredibly graceful and quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Even if there was a way to compare a dancer

to the rest, but i mean real comparison, with some criteria that are... "objective", and if this dancer arrived to be the worst ever among all, still we would not be able

a) to tell that she is not able to continue taking lessons, dance, having fun and perform.

b) to tell she is not able to improve herself and become much better than the rest.

However, we are lucky, objective criteria do not exist, it is just our aesthetics, inner feeling or personal taste that tells us what we like and what we do not. THis makes comparison in dance a really silly thing. Yes, we can compare technique, but technique is not dance, is technique...

...And a video that recently my sister found for me to have fun, showing a hippopotamus and other beautiful wildlife bellydancing...
    Belly dancing cartoons - Greek - Gyrna - YouTube

and believe me, i had chosen the hippopotamus... for it is the best bellydancer in the video!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess me and the hippo are becoming good friends now. Again, the feeling didn't take over me again. Yay!! Anyway, still a lot to learn, but at least now I'm starting to have fun during my classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherezade View Post
    I guess me and the hippo are becoming good friends now. Again, the feeling didn't take over me again. Yay!! Anyway, still a lot to learn, but at least now I'm starting to have fun during my classes.
    Yay! Congratulations! Keep having fun!
    --
    Daim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast