Expression and Energy

walladah

Probably... i did not even know

that there was such an expression in English.

Bittersweet...

thanks! it might be that! in Greek there is γλυκόπικρο/sweetbitter, used literally or metaphorically... but if you say so... it can be!

Yame

Bittersweet...

thanks! it might be that! in Greek there is γλυκόπικρο/sweetbitter, used literally or metaphorically... but if you say so... it can be!

Gia has talked in her classes about expressing a feeling she calls "it hurts so good." That could be what you were referring to, as well. Pain and happiness are not black and white!

shiradotnet

There is also the feeling of χαρμολύπη/harmolype, which i cannot translate from Greek: it means sorrow-happiness or happy sorrow... and yes, there are songs, dances, poems, theatre plays, paintings, etc which express such feeling.

If I correctly understand what you're saying, then the equivalent term in English would be "bittersweet". Yes, it is very much possible to feel two conflicting emotions tugging at you at once.

Greek Bonfire

Bittersweet...

Another term I like is "sweet agony." By the way, I like "bittersweet" chocolate the best!

gisela

Super Moderator
ooh sweet agony is a nice expression. Didn't think of that one.

Arab musicians are masters of "sweet agony" IMHO.

walladah

Wow, girls, thank you so much!

I did not know the sweet agony expression! Neither "it hurts so good"...

i think that most art in human history is based on this mix of feelings...

yes, arab music is like that...

Thank you so much! That was so educating! I am grateful!