Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have one video that made me stop watching and start dancing as Sirčne put it! That was this video: Sadie BellyDance - YouTube

You guys have probably seen it mentioned a million times! It was her control and technique that make me think "I want to do that and I need to do that". But as I started diving deep into this world. Dancers that have had more of an impact surfaced and became more immortant. I went though different phases as I saw different dancers like Sadie, Blanca, Autumn Ward, Rachel Brice ect but then I came across Egyptian style. I fell in love with it, the music, the emotion, how it made me feel. No other style made me feel how Egyptian style does. It was partly because I started classes in Egyptian style, and I have a deep interest for the Ancient culture and more recent Arabic culture of Egypt, and partly because of these three videos;

Fifi Abdou - YouTube
    Egyptian Belly Dance - YouTube
    Eygptian bellydancers - YouTube

Also, not really one of the main ones but still a large impact and I have no idea who she is or what style she is but I think she is AMAZING;
    BELLY DANCER STAR IN "" ahlla we sahllan "" - YouTube
    Last edited by Imeera; 09-02-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My answer is Shakira.

Post Thanks / Like

Shakira is not really a belly dancer in what she does (she can belly dance though and did have classes), but she inspired a lot of my past students to come to class She definitely brought it more into mainstream and it was very good for us teachers at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...I imagine "Shakira" is probably a pretty common answer to that question. I love her belly dance inspired stage wear too... in one clip I saw of a live performance, she does a drum solo that segues into her singing in a costume that I want

Post Thanks / Like

No one really inspired me to start - the classes were there, I thought it sounded fun, and got hooked. Though having a really good teacher inspired me to keep signing up for more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    No one really inspired me to start - the classes were there, I thought it sounded fun, and got hooked. Though having a really good teacher inspired me to keep signing up for more.
    This one for me as well.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Same here. I never though to look bd up on youtube. My teacher was so inspiring and encouraging that one term for fun turned into a passion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imeera View Post
    I only have one video that made me stop watching and start dancing as Sirčne put it! That was this video: Sadie BellyDance - YouTube

You guys have probably seen it mentioned a million times! It was her control and technique that make me think "I want to do that and I need to do that". But as I started diving deep into this world. Dancers that have had more of an impact surfaced and became more immortant. I went though different phases as I saw different dancers like Sadie, Blanca, Autumn Ward, Rachel Brice ect but then I came across Egyptian style. I fell in love with it, the music, the emotion, how it made me feel. No other style made me feel how Egyptian style does. It was partly because I started classes in Egyptian style, and I have a deep interest for the Ancient culture and more recent Arabic culture of Egypt, and partly because of these three videos;

Fifi Abdou - YouTube
    Egyptian Belly Dance - YouTube
    Eygptian bellydancers - YouTube

Also, not really one of the main ones but still a large impact and I have no idea who she is or what style she is but I think she is AMAZING;
    BELLY DANCER STAR IN "" ahlla we sahllan "" - YouTube

Aw I love Sadie - But she's so expressionless in the face :/

the dancer who is inspiring me right no is Alla Kushnir - I love the faces she pulls (though her costumes are a little skimpy for my taste)

Alla Kushnir - professional belly dance - Sexy Belly Dance - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it was inspiration, but the first bellydancer I remember seeing was in the James Bond film "The Man With the Golden Gun". It must have impressed me, because the image stayed with me for over thirty years before I actually took up the dance form.
    I've re-seen the film recently, and must admit the memory is far better than the reality!! I must have been really impressionable!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd been taking classes for a year or so and had been to several video nights put on by my teacher where she showed videos of impossibly slim utterly gorgeous Lebanese dancers in 'to die for' costumes doing endless drum solos and Turkish drops etc etc. Lovely to watch but I knew all of that was totally beyond me...then one night she showed this clip of Hala al Safy and I had a 'eureka' moment. I knew that *this* was what I wanted to do and I've been working at it ever since

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast