First time teacher!

gisela

Super Moderator
Yay, I am going to teach bellydance! My class starts the 6th of september. am so excited and a little nervous, naturally. The student-gymnastics-organisation that employed me is very established and it feels great to be a part of it when being a baby teacher. I get decent pay and all the registrations etc is handled by them. It was kind of last minute they decided but I am a last minute kind of girl so I could handle it :lol:
Now my min is occupied with finding music and thinking about exercises that make sense to me.

I am thinking of beginning with a veil choreo to "windows of the east"

and then do some shaabi or fast, happy song.

The class is one step up from beginner, not quite intermediate (I consider myself intermediate compared to Randa and Fifi :lol:)

Any ideas for a fun song around 3-3.30 min?

Safran

Congratulations on the new challenge! I am sure you will do great!

I taught a choreography to this shaabi song this summer. It is simple and fun, has plenty of repetitions, but you can also throw in a trick or two ;)

Kashmir

Congrats

Good one. From your email I take it your students already have basic belly dance moves etc under their belts? If not, I'd reconsider teaching choreography to them and especially a veil choreography. Too often they will stress so much with the veil that the belly dance will get lost. They will then go away thinking belly dancing is waving fabric around.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Congrats Gisela, how exciting! I like your veil music choice.

For a Shaabi song I love So Ya So by Mohammed Mounir, Also La' La' by Omda & of course the well known & used El Hantour

Below is So Ya So Video & Lyrics
~Mosaic

Lyrics are fun as well.

**Edit: Due to inadvertently "stepping on someone's" toes I am removing the Lyrics from this post. Please see links below if you would like to read them. Alternatively contact Mohamed Mounir for permission to reprint his song, Mohamed Mounir | Facebook

Last edited:

Monica

(Snip)
Below is So Ya So Video & Lyrics
~Mosaic
Lyrics are fun as well: Lyrics removed

Hi Mosaic,

It looks like you directly cut and pasted the lyrics from my website? I do specifically ask on my lyrics page that they not be 'republished', but rather linked back to (or printed for personal use). Even if they are reposted, as in this case, a link back to the source sure would be nice. Maybe something to keep in mind for next time?

Monica~~San Francisco Belly Dance~~Song Lyrics

Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Victoria R

You have your own personal style that I think is pretty marketable.:D

gisela

Super Moderator
Thanks you all for the well wishes and support. My IRL dancer friends are being really supportive as well, which is very nice. I am considering your suggestions still, thanks so much Mosaic and Safran.

I will do my absolute best to have them understand that bellydance is more than flinging fabric :) Promise! I consider not adding the veil at once to get the training more focused on the body than the veil.

These girls *should* have at least half a year of previous dance experience. The shortest sessions around here run for one semester and at the place I will work you sign up for a whole year at once. That said, you never know if someone is a beginner but can't come to the beginnersclass because of stuff etc etc. We'll see...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Mosaic,

It looks like you directly cut and pasted the lyrics from my website? I do specifically ask on my lyrics page that they not be 'republished', but rather linked back to (or printed for personal use). Even if they are reposted, as in this case, a link back to the source sure would be nice. Maybe something to keep in mind for next time?

Monica~~San Francisco Belly Dance~~Song Lyrics

Thanks. :)
No I didn't, I got the lyrics from the website AllTheLyrics. That is where I check for lyrics. They are also not laid out as you have them laid out on your website either. If someone else cut & pasted from your website and reformatted I'm sorry, but I certainly don't appreciated being accused on the forum in such a manner. It would have been more polite to PM about the matter. I have never been to your website until now - (followed your link in your post)
~Mosaic
PS: Here is the link to AllTheLyrics Solved: Soya soy, habibi haba soy?
(have found the lyrics as I posted in several places on the web, just google them)

Last edited:

Monica

No I didn't, I got the lyrics from the website AllTheLyrics. That is where I check for lyrics. They are also not laid out as you have them laid out on your website either. If someone else cut & pasted from your website and reformatted I'm sorry, but I certainly don't appreciated being accused on the forum in such a manner. It would have been more polite to PM about the matter. I have never been to your website until now - (followed your link in your post)
~Mosaic
PS: Here is the link to AllTheLyrics Solved: Soya soy, habibi haba soy?
Thanks for the link. There is no question that they were absolutely lifted from my site for the allthelyrics thread, as the layout is the same, as are all the details (down to an inadvertent typo--'handuff', whoops!--and the asterisks and explanations. I know my work. :) I was pretty hurt to see them here without a link back to my site, but it was certainly not my intention to pass the hurt I felt back on to you, and I clearly have. Had you provided a link initially I would have just made a comment over at the other forum.

I am very sorry to have put you on the spot like that.

Daimona

I will do my absolute best to have them understand that bellydance is more than flinging fabric :) Promise! I consider not adding the veil at once to get the training more focused on the body than the veil.

These girls *should* have at least half a year of previous dance experience. The shortest sessions around here run for one semester and at the place I will work you sign up for a whole year at once. That said, you never know if someone is a beginner but can't come to the beginnersclass because of stuff etc etc. We'll see...

I'm sure you'll do great and that it will be fun, Gisela! :D

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Thanks for the link. There is no question that they were absolutely lifted from my site for the allthelyrics thread, as the layout is the same, as are all the details (down to an inadvertent typo--'handuff', whoops!--and the asterisks and explanations. I know my work. :) I was pretty hurt to see them here without a link back to my site, but it was certainly not my intention to pass the hurt I felt back on to you, and I clearly have. Had you provided a link initially I would have just made a comment over at the other forum.

I am very sorry to have put you on the spot like that.

Monica if you don't want people to steal lyrics then you will need to incorporate some kind of coding in your webpage to keep sites like that from copying them. All they do is automatically scan webpages for lyrics and then add it to their website. More than half the time it is just a computer program doing this. Once it is on one website like that then similar websites to it copy from that website. Computer programs don't read disclaimers. Most likely by now, if this has happened, your lyrics are all over the internet and there is no possible way to police that or change it.

Now if the song is not yours then you have no legal right to the lyrics. Also if all you did was translate them into another language then you also have no legal right to the translation as anyone could translate them if they wanted to and the translation will always be the same. So if this is the case and you don't want them taken then remove them from the internet. If you don't own the song or lyrics, you have no legal grounds for intellectual property right, copyright, or ownership. Actually if you make it sound like you have ownership, as you are, then the real artist could actually sue you for stealing their lyrics, translated or not.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Dunno the legalities, but I can see how someone could have rights over a translation. If it's at the level of "Happy Birthday To You", no, but a more creative piece of writing could involve much more creative and interpretative input from a translator to get the sense of it right.

But yeah, once it's all over the web there's not much you can do.

Back to topic - how did it go Gisela?

gisela

Super Moderator
I don't know about the legal rights either but I don't see Monica threatening to sue or forbidding to use the lyrics, just asking people to post a link instead of copy/paste.
Even if noone on this forum was the "bad guy" this time, it IS a good reminder to make a note of where we find lyrics and stuff on the net. I often see people posting quotes from forums and saying that they wish they could remember who said it...
anyways....

Hey it went pretty good :D

Sweet sweet girls in the class, 11 had signed up and paid but only 8 was there. I hope the rest was just unable to come the first time. One more has signed up since so now they are twelve. I think there needs to be 15 for the class to continue after oct. so I am a bit nervous about that.

I was upfront with them and said I had never taught a weekly class before, only one-time things and in my troupe (which is more showing the new choreo than teaching), and that I would probably be a teeny bit confused the first time, but I was happy to be there and looking forward to having the class. They were very understanding about this.

then I talked a little about what we will work on and what my goals for them are- as in, what I hope that my teaching will give them, and what I focus on. They liked the music for the veil dance and were generally positive.

warm up, doing basic moves-drills, a little bit of everything to check their level out, and then my Ipod died :lol: had a backup cd, phew... some arabesques in place and across the floor, began some turn-practice with introduction to spotting technique, played the music for the choreo, tried out the first few bars of the choreo three times, then the backup cd died.... :lol: I mean, COME ON! gimme a break :rolleyes:...

we were nearly done and the cd wanted ONLY to play the cool down/stretch music so it was ok.

You think I was being tested by the big mothergod of Bellydance? To see if I would handle it? Well, I did, I enjoyed it and I'm coming back with a revived iPod and a new cd next week!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Glad to hear the class went well ( except for the dying music LOL!) Hopefully the rest of the sign-ups will turn up so your class can continue.
~Mosaic

Darshiva

Music malfunction happens to the best of us. And if the music completely dies, you can clap or zill out some rhythms. There's always a way.

I had the lights go out on one of my classes once. That was exciting!