Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, Safran!

You may think of the magency as an overture for the show, where the various parts are repesented, and the finale picks up some of the most typical themes from the magency to sum it up. The way I see it, they aren't the same song, but belong together as they will make the show more like one unit than just a string of separate pieces.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask a spin-off question?

Some CDs include "finale" song of 1-2 min for the magency. ( i.e. Wash ya wash ), so I can make a set of magency A + drum solo/shaabi/chiftetelli/or whatever + finale A.

If magency B doesn't have a finale in the CD, how am I supposed to finish?
    Do I put other finale song? Or is it a good idea to use music editor and make a self-made finale out of magency B???
    Or do you just pick up a song that has its finale song?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kraliche View Post
    Can I ask a spin-off question?

Some CDs include "finale" song of 1-2 min for the magency. ( i.e. Wash ya wash ), so I can make a set of magency A + drum solo/shaabi/chiftetelli/or whatever + finale A.
    Yes and yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraliche View Post
    If magency B doesn't have a finale in the CD, how am I supposed to finish?
    Do I put other finale song? Or is it a good idea to use music editor and make a self-made finale out of magency B???
    Or do you just pick up a song that has its finale song?
    If I want to finish with the same themes as the magency, I'd use music editor (such as Audacity; see http://www.bellydanceforums.net/musi...-software.html for previous threads about this program) and make a self-made finale. Magencies usually have very distinct parts, which may make it easier to copy parts for your finale.

(Noone can tell I like magencies, huh? )
    Last edited by Daimona; 08-30-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: the grammar greblins got me
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

All good information so far - but further, you don't dance much in the majency. There is often a long period off stage - for one longish one I think the entrance came 5 minutes in (before that it ran through the themes and then there was that drum thing - I think I've heard it called the arba’a - a quick roll).

Once on stage - don't dance your butt off. You normally start with some style of dance walk. You present yourself to the audience. Let them absorb who you are; your costume etc. Maybe stop for a hip or shoulder accent. Does depend on the piece and the venue - but if you want to do it as a majency don't over dance it. It is an introduction - not a dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Once on stage - don't dance your butt off. You normally start with some style of dance walk. You present yourself to the audience. Let them absorb who you are; your costume etc. Maybe stop for a hip or shoulder accent. Does depend on the piece and the venue - but if you want to do it as a majency don't over dance it. It is an introduction - not a dance.
    This!
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    You can read more about them here:
    Rakscandi
    Interesting - but I'd say what she describes is a full Orientale set - not just the majency. Possibly the problem comes from compressing the dances so in a few minutes a dancer goes through her majency and into her actual dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Kashmir

Thank you for your information.
    I found this - Fifi's magency - and thought it is a good example of " magency as an introduction "

Fifi Abdou Bellydancer - YouTube

However, when I watch Randa's, she dances ... more like a sampler plate rather than an apetizer. And it is closer to what we learn as "oriental" in workshops. Maybe is this the trend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Interesting - but I'd say what she describes is a full Orientale set - not just the majency. Possibly the problem comes from compressing the dances so in a few minutes a dancer goes through her majency and into her actual dance.
    I agree. I know I've read something about it somewhere, but couldn't retrieve where I read it and this link was the closest I got.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Gilded Serpent had an article on mergences recently, specifically on how they were used at a competition. And, if I recall correctly, our own Shems wrote about them in the articles section of her site; at a minimum she has her own performance to one on her YouTube channel. (Sorry, having trouble pasting links from my phone.)

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast