What is mecanse? ( spell? ) (majency, magenci, mergence, meyancé, meganse, madjensie)

Kraliche

Will anyone please help me to understand what "mecanse" is?

I wonder if the spell is incorrect, as I couldn't get it when I googled it.
If I am not too wrong, I assume it is something to do with a bellydancer and her band ...

Anyone, please?

Daimona

I assume you are thinking of a magency (majency, magenci, mergence, meyancé, meganse, meghansee, madsjensi, .. etc) which is an opening number in an Egyptian dance show.

Last edited:

Kraliche

Dear Daimona,

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I just learned a chore to a song labeled as "mecanse" ( well, much better than "track 1" ;)) in a workshop, and wanted to know what it is.
No wonder the introduction part of the song is very long.

Thank you --- !!!!

Kraliche

Dear Greek Bonfire,

Can you ask her, if dancers have her own magency ... like a theme song? Do they have just one or many? ( it may be boring dance to ONE song everynight, but may be easy for the band .. )

I LOOOVE this site, this is something that I would never be able to learn here in Turkey!!!

Daimona

Can you ask her, if dancers have her own magency ... like a theme song? Do they have just one or many? ( it may be boring dance to ONE song everynight, but may be easy for the band .. )

Pro dancers may have their own magency, particularly composed and choreographed for them, to show off their best skills. Several of the famous dancers have had their own magencies.

You can read more about them here:
Rakscandi

Yame

I assume you are thinking of a magency (magenci, mergence, madsjensi, .. etc) which is an opening number in an Egyptian dance show.

This. It is sometimes composed specifically for an individual dancer. And it's often used on the exit, too, so the same song that opened the show will close the show.

Daimona

This. It is sometimes composed specifically for an individual dancer. And it's often used on the exit, too, so the same song that opened the show will close the show.

Just to be nitpicking a bit, I wouldn't say it is the magency that is repeated as the exit song, but one of the themes from the magency are often used in the finale.

Yame

Just to be nitpicking a bit, I wouldn't say it is the magency that is repeated as the exit song, but one of the themes from the magency are often used in the finale.

Yes, exactly. That's a better way to express it. The song itself doesn't get repeated in the same way... it's just "themes" from it that can be recognized.

I still consider it the same song, because to me it's as if it's all one song that got split somewhere in the middle and had different songs added to it and then it picks up where it had left off in the beginning. It's not literally that, but that's how I think of it.

So it's not the same song being repeated twice exactly the same way.

Safran

Daimona, thanks for posting the link to the article. I am about to teach a megance to my intermediates this upcoming autumn, and this article will help me a lot when it comes to explaining what it really is!

As for the specific dancers having their own megances - sometimes it is also that a dancer chooses an existing megance and makes it her trademark. Can't think of examples right now though :think:

Daimona

You're welcome, Safran!

You may think of the magency as an overture for the show, where the various parts are repesented, and the finale picks up some of the most typical themes from the magency to sum it up. The way I see it, they aren't the same song, but belong together as they will make the show more like one unit than just a string of separate pieces.

Kraliche

Can I ask a spin-off question?

Some CDs include "finale" song of 1-2 min for the magency. ( i.e. Wash ya wash ), so I can make a set of magency A + drum solo/shaabi/chiftetelli/or whatever + finale A.

If magency B doesn't have a finale in the CD, how am I supposed to finish?
Do I put other finale song? Or is it a good idea to use music editor and make a self-made finale out of magency B???
Or do you just pick up a song that has its finale song?

Daimona

Can I ask a spin-off question?

Some CDs include "finale" song of 1-2 min for the magency. ( i.e. Wash ya wash ), so I can make a set of magency A + drum solo/shaabi/chiftetelli/or whatever + finale A.

Yes and yes!

If magency B doesn't have a finale in the CD, how am I supposed to finish?
Do I put other finale song? Or is it a good idea to use music editor and make a self-made finale out of magency B???
Or do you just pick up a song that has its finale song?

If I want to finish with the same themes as the magency, I'd use music editor (such as Audacity; see http://www.bellydanceforums.net/music/14178-music-editing-software.html for previous threads about this program) and make a self-made finale. Magencies usually have very distinct parts, which may make it easier to copy parts for your finale.

(Noone can tell I like magencies, huh? ;) )

Last edited:

Kashmir

All good information so far - but further, you don't dance much in the majency. There is often a long period off stage - for one longish one I think the entrance came 5 minutes in (before that it ran through the themes and then there was that drum thing - I think I've heard it called the arba’a - a quick roll).

Once on stage - don't dance your butt off. You normally start with some style of dance walk. You present yourself to the audience. Let them absorb who you are; your costume etc. Maybe stop for a hip or shoulder accent. Does depend on the piece and the venue - but if you want to do it as a majency don't over dance it. It is an introduction - not a dance.

Daimona

Once on stage - don't dance your butt off. You normally start with some style of dance walk. You present yourself to the audience. Let them absorb who you are; your costume etc. Maybe stop for a hip or shoulder accent. Does depend on the piece and the venue - but if you want to do it as a majency don't over dance it. It is an introduction - not a dance.

This! :)

Kashmir

You can read more about them here:
Rakscandi
Interesting - but I'd say what she describes is a full Orientale set - not just the majency. Possibly the problem comes from compressing the dances so in a few minutes a dancer goes through her majency and into her actual dance.

Kraliche

Dear Kashmir

Thank you for your information.
I found this - Fifi's magency - and thought it is a good example of " magency as an introduction "

Fifi Abdou Bellydancer - YouTube

However, when I watch Randa's, she dances ... more like a sampler plate rather than an apetizer. And it is closer to what we learn as "oriental" in workshops. Maybe is this the trend?

Daimona

Interesting - but I'd say what she describes is a full Orientale set - not just the majency. Possibly the problem comes from compressing the dances so in a few minutes a dancer goes through her majency and into her actual dance.

I agree. I know I've read something about it somewhere, but couldn't retrieve where I read it and this link was the closest I got.

PracticalDancer

I believe Gilded Serpent had an article on mergences recently, specifically on how they were used at a competition. And, if I recall correctly, our own Shems wrote about them in the articles section of her site; at a minimum she has her own performance to one on her YouTube channel. (Sorry, having trouble pasting links from my phone.)

Regards,

Anala