Cautionary tale - Sword choreography

Cautionary tale! If you're choreographing a sword dance for performance, don't do what I did.

I included a move where I dropped the sword from my head on to my outstretched arms. I was practising the new routine all day Monday.

On Tuesday, I had bruises where the sword landed on my arms. Today they are spectacular.

The performance is tomorrow. Aaaaargh!

Fencai

lots of witch hazel. And rub them. It sounds weird, but that's what we did for bruises in modeling. You rub the heck out of it, and the witch hazel helps pull the coloring out.

So, how did your performance go?

Great! I was really nervous because I'm not a professional and I had to do a 20-minute set all on my own, but it went really well.

I made myself some velvet armbands long enough to cover the bruises.

For those wondering why an amateur is doing a solo gig, I hasten to add that it was for an old folks' home and it was meant to be a duo, but the other dancer got sick. It wasn't as daunting as it sounds because I have danced professionally as a flamenco dancer (many years ago now!), so I'm used to being in front of an audience, but I must say it is a whole different ball game when you're dancing in a different genre.

Crystalllized

LOL This happens to me all the time when I rehearse with my duet partner before a show because we like to really push our sword work. We wear long heavy coats now when we practice to prevent scrapes, bruises, etc. Though the last trick we did left me with cuts between my toes...ouch!

Benefit Cosmetics makes a great coverup called Playsticks that works really well on bruises and super short term on scrapes (clean immediately after to prevent infection!)