Home Teaching

RubyCairo

Hi , I was wishing to begin teaching from home ,i was wondering if anyone has advice on this? I have heard home Insurance cover can be extended -Are costs reasonable ?

I have arrived at this point after the convienience of working for Community Centres Theatre groups ,Adult Ed etc
These places are great fun when things are going well but sometimes there are personalities -and i guess it has just been easier to put up with stuff as other needs Insurance etc are covered -But i feel i have had enough -call it pre menopausal ....I realise personality problems are everywhere and will always be a challenge.
But a comfortable if affordable environment appeals to me! .
Ruby

Last edited by a moderator:

Daimona

Hi Ruby, and welcome to the forum!
I merged your two posts in this thread.
If you feel that you should add things in a post after submitting it, you can also edit it. Just click on the edit button at the bottom of the post.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It will depend a lot on what country you are teaching in as countries have different policies. Here in Australia, teachers do have home studios ( in fact both my teachers have their own home studios - one was purpose built and the other is a basement converted to a full studio - one day if I am lucky i too will have my own home based studio:D) and as far as I know most home based businesses have insurance to cover themselves/students in case of accidents & injury. Community centres etc have their own insurances to cover all possibilities.
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm in the US, in Indiana. For me to teach out of my home required a special homeowner's insurance rider -- which was ridiculously expensive, if I recall correctly. There can also be issues with having enough or appropriate bathroom facilities, a dedicated entrance and exit (depending upon your area's codes and requirements) and restrictions on parking.

For me, it was way too much of a hassle to comply with all the regulations (and it was a little weird to think of a lot of strangers in my home) so it wasn't a good option. A dance studio nearby made me a good deal on rent, so I went there.

Keep in mind a lot of students don't feel comfortable going to a stranger's house. That may work for private lessons, or once they've been in class for a while. But I can't see myself going to say a yoga or dance class at a person's house. Not that I think a serial killer is using the class as a way of trapping victims or anything! :) But it just seems somehow inappropriate.

I think if your "studio" was an attachment to your house (like a modified garage) it would be less weird than having class in your living room. But do check with your insurance agent first, and the local office that licenses small businesses. You may find there are a lot of rules for having a home studio that make it not worth the while.

RubyCairo

Thanks

Yes i will do more checking into this, and let it known what i discover.... Thanks , i think having other cover (other's insurance ) is the rub- i will look into extending house insurance .
Ruby

Amulya

Mosaic is right: depends on country. I taught from home for years, no issues at all, no insurance needed. Didn't need it back there in that country, there isn't a sueing culture and even if you try, you won't win, it's considered ridiculous and people are seen as mature enough to take responsibility of their own. Meaning: if you go to class and trip over something, it's your own fault, or if you decide to go to a bad teacher, that was your own fault. But I do have my opinions on bad teachers!
Only huge dance schools need insurance for fire etc.

When I moved to Australia I was shocked to hear about insurance from my belly dance friend. I would never have known if she wouldn't have told me. It was greatly depressing as the insurance was so expensive I couldn't afford it. Plus music licencing? Never heard of before!
So I make sure I teach at places that include me into their insurance. Problem solved.

NOTE: in some countries you officially have to ask your council for permission, but most dancers don't do that because it's not something that the council will easily find out. But maybe better check that one out to be sure!

RubyCairo

Thank you all for contributions! Have been busy and away for a bit -am still checking and will speak to insurance company this week - and get back a bit sooner i hope .Well INSURANCE ,thats the one - an expensive business as we know, my advantage .
These are latest thoughts and ideas from people i know -i am still considering mind you.
I live in a small community,- changing the context in which i may do this i am inviting those i know well (friends) to my group dance - changing the dynamic of this arrangement somewhat - to afternoon dance -with tea?
Have Public liability and Public Indemnity arrangement-all OTT expensive .
Have consent forms and disclaimers signed as agreement . They may not cover (in court)-but afford some protection if bluff -can argue the participants ability to self determine -and awareness of all information.
Anyway still going ...
Please add any thoughts.....
Ruby

Shanazel

It is still fairly common in Wyoming for folks to teach various sorts of classes in their homes, but we have a small population and people in a town tend to know each other or know someone who knows someone, if ya know what I mean. I prefer to teach dance at the local rec center but wouldn't mind giving art lessons in my studio, for example. I have a studio in what used to be the garage, so as mentioned above, it wouldn't be like entertaining people in my living room.

Amulya

A garage-studio I consider a proper studio if it has the right floor and mirrors. I have a friend who uses one and it looks very professional. Plus as Shanazel said they don't have to come in your home (the only thing I didn't like about it was that you always need to make sure your home looks perfect! haha), so it's safer regarding burglaries etc. unless you know them well you can never fully trust people. My students were with me for years so that was different.

RubyCairo

Update !

The verdict (for Me) is this!
I think no matter how well you know and think you can trust people it is best to have provisions in place . If i go ahead , i will use legal aid (on-line)to help me set up a very detailed 'Proposal Of Agreement' glorified disclaimer outlining the need for understanding and highlighting the fact that participants participate at their own risk ,and that there will be NO comeback whatsoever to me. In addition i will add...
Although i will endeavor to take all reasonable steps to provide safety and employ safe practice to the best of my knowledge and abilities etc etc ...
This will all be explained and opportunity given to ask questions etc to ensure understanding.
Ha - ive since been asked to teach at a local centre -seems far less headache!
But i hope info is useful and havent ruled anything out!
Ruby

Daimona

The verdict (for Me) is this!
I think no matter how well you know and think you can trust people it is best to have provisions in place . If i go ahead , i will use legal aid (on-line)to help me set up a very detailed 'Proposal Of Agreement' glorified disclaimer outlining the need for understanding and highlighting the fact that participants participate at their own risk ,and that there will be NO comeback whatsoever to me. In addition i will add...
Although i will endeavor to take all reasonable steps to provide safety and employ safe practice to the best of my knowledge and abilities etc etc ...

Even if you do start teaching at your local centre, go ahead with your Proposal of Agreement to have it as an addendum to your contract with the centre. Or you can inform the students during the first class that they are themselves responsible, but that you'll do whatever you can to guide them properly.
Thankfully, I don't live in a country where suing for whatever reason is usual, but better safe than sorry...

Last edited:

Amulya

In some places letting students sign a 'Proposal Of Agreement' disclaimer is illegal. I was told (by a lawyer, but might not be true!) this was the case in the state Queensland (Australia).

How is this is other parts of Australia?

RubyCairo

Proposal

Re Proposal..

The Proposal can be drawn up on-line ,info readily available ,the form becomes 'Your Own ' agreement considered to be advisable ,really is jumped up disclaimer all said and done ,is a legal document, how much protection it affords is debatable , would not really take the place of insurance policy as at least that would give you some money to argue with in court! ---All worst case scenario!
Bit like copyright ,now seen as advisable (Arts Council) something that the original artist can take out free of charge, will afford some protection of work ,but cant really stop anyone from making changes to try to steal work for themselves!