Rules about sequence of dances??

I've been asked to do a performance for an old folk's home. I'm not a professional and a 20 minute set will use up practically my whole repertoire!

I have a veil dance, a sword routine, an Egyptian pop number, a piece of music for impro/audience participation. Each of those runs for about 4 minutes. I also have a very short drum solo (less than 2 minutes).

The question is, what order do I put them in? I'm assuming start with the veil and finish with the drum solo but....?

gisela

Super Moderator
Veil, sword, drum, pop. Or in case the veil is slow, you could switch sword and drum. Just a sugg. :)

Amulya

Good tips! You can shorten the routine to 15 minutes if you're afraid of running out of repertoire. Most dancers do 20 minutes, but it's not a rule. If you want to stick with 20 minutes, make sure 5 minutes of it is with getting people up and dance.

mahsati_janan

This is a quick cheat sheet I use for my students:

Quick Cheat Sheet for 3, 5, and 7 part routines Some routines are up to 10 parts. The orders are not absolutes, but are the most common forms for a full show. Some middle sections can be switched without affecting the flow, such as folk and upbeat. Sections can also be omitted or repeated. The 3-5-7 part routines are typical of the American Vintage Orientale style and there are common variations in many other styles. In general, a show should alternate speeds and foci or progressively build to maintain the audience's attention.

3 part routine
  • Veil Entrance
  • Prop/Upbeat song w/zills
  • Drum Solo/Exit

5 part routine
  • Entrance w/zills (if AmCab, Greek, or Turkish style w/veil wrap)
  • Veil (If Egyptian, can replace with taqsim)
  • Upbeat song
  • Slower for chiftitelli, floorwork, or balancing (If Egyptian can replace with folk)
  • Drum Solo/Finale

7 part routine
  • Entrance w/ or w/o zills (if AmCab, Greek, or Turkish style w/veil wrap) can be full majenci for Egyptian style
  • Veil (If Egyptian, can replace with taqsim)
  • Medium tempo or folkloric
  • Taqsim (standing, balancing, or floorwork)
  • Medium/Fast song (In most venues this is the go around to tables/tip song)
  • Drum Solo
  • Finale/Exit (In AmCab, Turkish the finale can be a fast 9/8)

Sample Egyptian Variation 1. Entering – Malfuf, Ayoub
2. Majenci
3. Hip Focused with travel – Maqsoum/Upbeat/Folk
4. Taqsim/Chiftitelli
5. Beledi Progression/Taqsim Beledi/Baladi awwadi/Baladi tet/Baladi ashra
6. Upbeat or Folk
7. Drum Solo
8. Finale/Exit Theme

Daimona

My fav routine is app. 10-12 mins.. simply because I get easily bored myself, and if I get bored, I assume my audience will as well.

Last edited:
Good tips! You can shorten the routine to 15 minutes if you're afraid of running out of repertoire. Most dancers do 20 minutes, but it's not a rule. If you want to stick with 20 minutes, make sure 5 minutes of it is with getting people up and dance.

I couldn't really shorten it because it was originally going to be a half hour show with one or two other dancers involved - but one couldn't make it, and then the other girl got sick! So I agreed a 20 minute show for a smaller fee.

In the end I did veil - pop - sword - impro/audience participation - drum.

Darshiva

So, Nick, why don't you tell us how your supposed experience in ballet applies to bellydancing in a restaurant?