"Lauren of Arabia" lecture by Karim Nagi

Pirika Repun

I found this video from one of Face Book Oriental dance pages, and I would love to shear with everybody.

Karim Nagi aka Turbo Tabla speaks his mind. I totally agree with what he said about "Belly Dance" where originated in Egypt, but represented by English word. Even not many Oriental dancers do not know terms "Raqs Sharki" or where originated this art form is. I feel his frustration, for "B" word, and misrepresentative or "used" by Westerns. I agree with him all of it. He spoke his mind, and as an Egyptian, he has all right to say it! :clap:

Yame

I don't sense any frustration in this lecture. It sounds to me like he is just going over the current state of affairs, and he is very well aware of why the current state of affairs is the way it is.

He is encouraging Arabs to participate more in the making and shaping of their own dances in the context of performance, because if/when this happens, their culture will be portrayed more accurately.

PracticalDancer

I have been waiting all week to have the 21 minutes needed to hear this, knowing it would be a good investment of my time. Karim Nagi is wonderfully articulate, and I learn every time he speaks. Do invest the time to watch this. I know that I will go back and watch it at least once more, as there is a lot in there to ponder!

Darshiva

I had the opportunity to study with him and I chose to do my teacher training instead. Gah! No, I made the right choice, I made the right choice. I can always find another way to study with him. Just keep reminding myself that.

I love this lecture and I am going to pass it on to my students. They will love it!

Greek Bonfire

I agree with a lot of things he said. I think just about all of us here would love to know "how the Arabs do it" because it is rare that you do see the fully rounded Arab dancer because of their society banning it. Instead of making sport of us who do take it so seriously here in the west, why not show us how it's done correctly, and when we start a rant or even just a discussion, we will have the measuring tool for how it's done correctly. I'm not talking about some of the sleazy shaabi stuff done in Cairo today but the realistic classy styles that do stand the test of time. I'm glad someone spoke out about it. Soraya of New Jersey is an Arab American and she is highly regarded and respected by not just the Arab Americans but Arabs all over the world. She is about the only one I can think of, and her style is very classy and very much of a measuring tool for me personally.