Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherezade View Post
    I also have coordination problems, I also can't shimmy and make a hip circle at the same time. Sometimes even walking and moving my hips seems difficult. Another thing I find really hard is to move my hips and then add arm movements. It looks like my hips forget to go on moving when I lift my arms, can't explain better.
    It's mostly practice. Have to get those shimmies into the bit of the brain that doesn't think - problem is, for most people, to get it there takes conscious control. So while shimmying on automatic - try adding your other layer.

Other problems can be technique - for instance how you generate your shimmy will impact how easy it is to layer over other movements. Some shimmies work better with particular movements. Generally I find a shimmy generated by using the legs to push the pelvis around the least useful.

With walking, often weak abs can be the problem (you need to be able to shimmy on none leg to walk and shimmy)

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Shiro,

It sounds like you have a good plan to take care of yourself. Keep doing the unlayered dance moves when you can keep your posture correct and your back protected. Also, moderation in all things! It's so important to stop doing "iffy" things before you HAVE to. Don't practice too long or too often, but do practice regularly.

One thing you can do that is 100% safe for your back is listening to a lot of middle eastern dance music. If you have DSL or broadband, you can find wonderful dance tracks on YouTube - just bookmark your favorites. Bonus: sometimes the dancing is great too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    It's mostly practice. Have to get those shimmies into the bit of the brain that doesn't think - problem is, for most people, to get it there takes conscious control. So while shimmying on automatic - try adding your other layer.

Other problems can be technique - for instance how you generate your shimmy will impact how easy it is to layer over other movements. Some shimmies work better with particular movements. Generally I find a shimmy generated by using the legs to push the pelvis around the least useful.

With walking, often weak abs can be the problem (you need to be able to shimmy on none leg to walk and shimmy)

Good luck!
    Thanks Kashmir. I'll just try to go on practising without stressing. Things don't come overnight, after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sherezade View Post
    Thanks Kashmir. I'll just try to go on practising without stressing. Things don't come overnight, after all.
    I found shimmying and circles or other layers were insanely difficult. I just watched others who did it and thought WTH...

What I did was try, at home between classes, to divide a slow shimmy in parts over the circle. Like two or four hip "markings" on the front side of the circle and the same on the back side, then do more and more until there is a shimmy. For me it really helped. It's like the coordination thing with rubbing your chest and patting your head (or is it the other way around) If you break it up to four pats for one rub then it is much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll follow your advice and see if it works with me as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Another problem I have is I feel kind of like an elephant when I'm trying new things. I can do upper body movements and walk pretty easily (now that I've actually tried to without looking at myself). With lower body movements, though, I feel stupid getting really into it, because I can see myself. The thing is, when we bought this house, it was filled with mirrors. They're literally connected to the house, so it's impossible to get them off without shattering them. It's really weird that the guy had so many mirrors. When I was a kid I tried counting all the mirrors and got up to 30 before I got bored. I would exercise in another room, but since we live in a trailer, it's very small and I have no tv! My office is one of the largest rooms, the other being the living room where there is a large window (and I hate feeling like I'm being watched. I guess you could call me paranoid, but I actually have to make sure that there is absolutely no way anyone can see me before I'll even try exercising. There is a weird old man that will actually sit on the road near my driveway (he's in a hoveround thing) and stare at our house. He sat there for an hour and we ended up calling the cops because it was so weird, but they couldn't do anything other than to ask him to move along, since he wasn't technically doing anything wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel, Shiro. There are movements that make me feel so awkward when I try to do them (I call it the hippo feeling, because I feel like a hippo) and it's much worse when I feel others are looking at me, even if it's just my classmates. In my case, as we are different levels, it's even worse because there are girls who can dance beautifully already and though I know they're more advanced than me and obviously I can't yet do what they do, the "hippo feeling" invades me. I don't like dancing in front of mirrors because they make me feel even more awkward. And I definitely can't feel anyone with their eyes on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, my boyfriend likes to watch me exercise, but I always tense up or end up turning off my camera (he's 2000 miles away, so we web cam just to see each other). He's made a couple comments about how easily I get tired, but he's never tried it so he can't accurately say these movements are easy I should send him one of my videos and have him try it and see how hard it is!!

My friend gave me 4 of her workout dvds, it's a core rhythms set of 4, with a full workout, kick start, quick workout and Latin dance.
    I believe this is it. (she gave me just the disks in a jewel case) Amazon.com: Core Rhythms 4 DVD Dance Exercise Starter Package: Sports & Outdoors

I figured since it works the core, I might be able to use it in little 5 minute increments to strengthen my core (thus helping my back) without being too hard on myself. I actually like the workout, and I feel good even if I just do 5 minutes. It's not hard on my back like some of the other core videos I have tried. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 days, no more than 15 minutes a day and I have to say, I do feel a little stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

I did it! I've been listening to music a lot and just while I'm waking around the house I try to travel with hip movements, I've got a (slow) three quarter shimmy down and small hip circles mastered. I'm very happy with myself
    Last edited by Shiro; 10-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123