Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    I consider it a class given by a 'teacher's teacher'. By someone who has been dancing 20+ years preferably
    I agree- but there have to be other qualifications as well. For me, what I consider a master class has to have depth of knowledge in the subject matter itself. A master instructor can certainly still teach a class accessible to beginners! But also, there have been non-master classes where I have thought "okay, this is someone I want to corner at some point for some intensive training" and others who have danced/taught for ages who I don't feel have anything further to offer me beyond what they already have in the general workshop- and that could be for many reasons. Maybe I just don't want to go further into that style, or maybe I feel that instructor doesn't have that depth I am looking for. That's okay, I don't need a master class from every dancer out there! My 20 year anniversary in dance is coming up this February, and I don't believe I have the depth to teach a master class by any means!

LaVanessa, in terms of when you are ready for a master class, I am of 2 minds in this. All of the workshops I have attended that I consider in my own mind to be master classes were not billed that way, tho 2 were billed as intensives (and were a LOT longer than 2 hours long!) I sat through them and thought 1/2 to 3/4 of this would have gone straight over my head if I had taken them at any other point in my dance career, and yet, if I had had access to them earlier, even with not understanding so much of it, it would have changed my path dramatically. I'd say, if you can keep up & not hold the class back, go ahead and take that master class, but maybe plan on taking it again if it is offered later to pick up some of what you may miss the first time 'round.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your 20st belly dance birthday soon! I agree with your post. yes it so depends on what you're looking for. There are some dancers who have been dancing for less than 20 years who I find very interesting to learn from. They do different styles I haven't had classes in yet. Always fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    By someone who has been dancing 20+ years preferably
    I'm soon "a master teacher"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12