What exactly is a Master Class (for bd)?

LaVanessa

...I feel a bit silly asking that question but I can't find a satisfactory answer! I did see the Wikipedia entry, is that how it works for bellydance classes too? Could someone describe how a typical master class unfolds, who the typical audience is (just advanced students), etc?

Thank you!

Kashmir

...I feel a bit silly asking that question but I can't find a satisfactory answer! I did see the Wikipedia entry, is that how it works for bellydance classes too? Could someone describe how a typical master class unfolds, who the typical audience is (just advanced students), etc?
One problem with belly dance is, without recognized standards, anyone can give a class and call it a "master class". However, what I'd expect would be a very experienced teacher (with decades not years of dance experience AND experience in teaching) with a small group of advanced dancers working on a particular topic such as musical interpretation. I would not expect a master class to teach technique - unless it was something out of the ordinary.

Generally, master classes in belly dance are not one on one. They should be reasonably small classes though and feedback would be expected.

Darshiva

I've always considered master classes as workshops with a master in the field designed for students who are at a very advanced/professional level.

Aniseteph

I've never been brave enough to try one, but I'd expect what Kashmir said - a really top level teacher, in-depth work on a specific topic, very restricted numbers in the class, expectations made about of the students (skill level, willingness to participate actively, ownership of big girl panties that let them take correction and feedback constructively).

I don't know if that's how they really are though.

walladah

It depends on the teacher...

i think that the previous replies on this thread can give you hints on what questions to ask when you want to register at a bellydance master class...

in other types of dance or in other types of art, master classes are very tough things: usually, to register you need to have some qualifications, in many cases you submit a resume so that the teacher decides whether you are fit or not for the class (no, your money is not enough in such cases), people in the class are very limited in numbers, usually master classes are not an "afternoon" quick workshop, they tend to last for 2-3 or more days, as the teacher and the students need to work heavily on several aspects of the class topic (at the end there might be a short performance or so, depending on the type of art).

in some cases, students are required to prepare motivation letters/papers or to prepare some artwork on the theme of the master class, so that the teacher can give them feedback on what they also are interested in, apart from what he/she teaches.

Till now, i have not heard of any so tough bellydance workshop as the above mentioned, but i think that as time goes by, we will see such things. Believe me, in case you like the teacher, it is worthy the money and effort to participate in a real master class. You become a different artist through it...

in case someone wants to sell you a 2-hour masterclass without asking anything but money, then it might be a good teacher and a good occasion to learn things, but it is not a masterclass...

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I've been to several advertised "master classes" (in various disciplines) and about the only thread that connected them all was that they assumed you had a certain skill set already, and didn't break anything down.

One advertised "master class" ended up being basically just a choreography class, and the teacher didn't really speak so much as demonstrate the choreo and you were supposed to learn it.

SOME teachers consider "master classes" to be classes designed FOR teachers -- as in, they give you suggestions on how to teach or how to translate certain concepts to your students, rather than focusing on your own technique or learning a new technical skill.

Suhaila's master classes seem to be arranged around taking material you already know and then "complicating it up" by adding layers or more complicated footwork. Some of her her MC's are also topic-focused, like musical interpretation or emotional perspective.

Safran

Around here, we call them all workshops (or actually, literally "courses"). But in the Russian-speaking circles I've seen a difference drawn between workshops and master classes by the level pre-required. I don't think there is any specific format though.

mahsati_janan

It depends primarily on who is sponsoring it and what they consider to be a master class. I just returned from an advanced/pro level weeklong intensive with Sahra and it was exactly what I look for in a master class. (sponsored by Stellar Advantage) It is limited in numbers and all of the participants are vetted for qualifications and emotional readiness for this kind of event. Part of the experience includes dancing multiple times for critique from Sahra and all of the other adv/pro dancers there. Each day you perform it, you have to incorporate the concepts we have been working on and the critiques that fit your vision. In addition to that, we worked on so many advanced topics like tarab, manifesting your artistic vision, etc.

There are some fabulous ones out there, but it really depends on the sponsor/instructor. When it is a really good master class, there is nothing like it. For me, it is like going to a college summer session - intense learning and complete body/mind/spirit integration in your dance. :)

I've also been in classes advertised as a master class that was full of beginning and intermediate students and just went over basic movements. I'd say to contact the instructor and/or sponsor for any master class you are considering to be sure what you can expect and what they expect.

LaVanessa

Thank you so much for all the replies everyone, they're very helpful. Overall, your comments confirm my suspicion that I am in no way ready for a MC! :lol: This is good to know.

Amulya

I consider it a class given by a 'teacher's teacher'. By someone who has been dancing 20+ years preferably :)

Lara

I consider it a class given by a 'teacher's teacher'. By someone who has been dancing 20+ years preferably :)

I agree- but there have to be other qualifications as well. For me, what I consider a master class has to have depth of knowledge in the subject matter itself. A master instructor can certainly still teach a class accessible to beginners! But also, there have been non-master classes where I have thought "okay, this is someone I want to corner at some point for some intensive training" and others who have danced/taught for ages who I don't feel have anything further to offer me beyond what they already have in the general workshop- and that could be for many reasons. Maybe I just don't want to go further into that style, or maybe I feel that instructor doesn't have that depth I am looking for. That's okay, I don't need a master class from every dancer out there! My 20 year anniversary in dance is coming up this February, and I don't believe I have the depth to teach a master class by any means!

LaVanessa, in terms of when you are ready for a master class, I am of 2 minds in this. All of the workshops I have attended that I consider in my own mind to be master classes were not billed that way, tho 2 were billed as intensives (and were a LOT longer than 2 hours long!) I sat through them and thought 1/2 to 3/4 of this would have gone straight over my head if I had taken them at any other point in my dance career, and yet, if I had had access to them earlier, even with not understanding so much of it, it would have changed my path dramatically. I'd say, if you can keep up & not hold the class back, go ahead and take that master class, but maybe plan on taking it again if it is offered later to pick up some of what you may miss the first time 'round.

Amulya

Congrats on your 20st belly dance birthday soon! I agree with your post. yes it so depends on what you're looking for. There are some dancers who have been dancing for less than 20 years who I find very interesting to learn from. They do different styles I haven't had classes in yet. Always fun!