Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Member Kraliche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I started my bellydancing at 40!!!

    I really enjoy having great time with my young friends, as well as older dance sisters

    My teacher is in her 60s, and she is the most beautiful and the best dancer I have ever seen.

    Go girl!!!

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.

  3. #23
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    You lost me with the storm trooper costume.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...

  5. #25
    Member Starmouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemama View Post
    Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.
    You might like Dawn O'Brien. She's a friend of mine and does some very original fusion performances.

    Transformers: Disco Fusion in Disguise!!! - YouTube


  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starmouth View Post
    You might like Dawn O'Brien. She's a friend of mine and does some very original fusion performances.

    Transformers: Disco Fusion in Disguise!!! - YouTube

    Yea! This is what I'm talking about! Tribal fusion. When you got it, flaunt it! I don't know why I like this style so much, but it just grabs me.

    Does she teach?

    Dawn O'Brien Ford Castle 2009 - YouTube

  7. #27
    V.I.P. Greek Bonfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chitown, USA
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The main thing about bellydance is the music. When you find the music you like, then you can define your style. If you like heavy metal, you could learn gothic style. All styles are determined by the music more than anything else.

  8. #28
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemama View Post
    I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...
    Yep, physical co-ordination, musical interpretation - and then think about costuming. Although if your music fits your costume I suspect it isn't belly dance you want to learn.
    Last edited by Kashmir; 09-25-2011 at 05:20 AM.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First of all, you're 36, not 96! You are not as old as you seem to think you are.
    I know alot of people in their 40s who are performing, and a couple of belly dancers who are over 50. People watch them because of their beautiful dancing.
    Maybe you won't become a dancer at some restaurant where they only want some pretty 20 year old with a perfect body, but that does not mean that you cannot perform. There are several performance opportunitites even if you are just a hobbyist, especially if you can find a troupe to join. Haflas, performances for friends and family, cultural fairs...

    In one of my classes we have a woman who is in her mid-70s! She has been dancing for 5 years, takes several classes and performs along with all the other students at the show at the end of each semester and she does brilliantly. She is truly an inspiration! But I have also come across several beginners who were far older than you when they started.

    Besides, there is a lot to be gained even if you never become a performer. Most people who take classes never become a pro anyway. They take the classes for love of the dance, love of the music, or just for plain fun. It's a great way to get some exercise, improve co-ordination, and improve body awareness. And it is so much fun!
    Last edited by Ahnna; 09-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.

  10. #30
    Member Starmouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemama View Post
    Yea! This is what I'm talking about! Tribal fusion. When you got it, flaunt it! I don't know why I like this style so much, but it just grabs me.

    Does she teach?

    Dawn O'Brien Ford Castle 2009 - YouTube
    Yep, she teaches classes in Birmingham I believe. Birmingham, UK that is!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •