Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I started my bellydancing at 40!!!

I really enjoy having great time with my young friends, as well as older dance sisters

My teacher is in her 60s, and she is the most beautiful and the best dancer I have ever seen.

Go girl!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.

Post Thanks / Like

You lost me with the storm trooper costume.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemama View Post
    Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.
    You might like Dawn O'Brien. She's a friend of mine and does some very original fusion performances.

Transformers: Disco Fusion in Disguise!!! - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starmouth View Post
    You might like Dawn O'Brien. She's a friend of mine and does some very original fusion performances.

Transformers: Disco Fusion in Disguise!!! - YouTube

Yea! This is what I'm talking about! Tribal fusion. When you got it, flaunt it! I don't know why I like this style so much, but it just grabs me.

Does she teach?

Dawn O'Brien Ford Castle 2009 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing about bellydance is the music. When you find the music you like, then you can define your style. If you like heavy metal, you could learn gothic style. All styles are determined by the music more than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...
    Yep, physical co-ordination, musical interpretation - and then think about costuming. Although if your music fits your costume I suspect it isn't belly dance you want to learn.
    Last edited by Kashmir; 09-25-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, you're 36, not 96! You are not as old as you seem to think you are.
    I know alot of people in their 40s who are performing, and a couple of belly dancers who are over 50. People watch them because of their beautiful dancing.
    Maybe you won't become a dancer at some restaurant where they only want some pretty 20 year old with a perfect body, but that does not mean that you cannot perform. There are several performance opportunitites even if you are just a hobbyist, especially if you can find a troupe to join. Haflas, performances for friends and family, cultural fairs...

In one of my classes we have a woman who is in her mid-70s! She has been dancing for 5 years, takes several classes and performs along with all the other students at the show at the end of each semester and she does brilliantly. She is truly an inspiration! But I have also come across several beginners who were far older than you when they started.

Besides, there is a lot to be gained even if you never become a performer. Most people who take classes never become a pro anyway. They take the classes for love of the dance, love of the music, or just for plain fun. It's a great way to get some exercise, improve co-ordination, and improve body awareness. And it is so much fun!
    Last edited by Ahnna; 09-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea! This is what I'm talking about! Tribal fusion. When you got it, flaunt it! I don't know why I like this style so much, but it just grabs me.

Does she teach?

Dawn O'Brien Ford Castle 2009 - YouTube
    Yep, she teaches classes in Birmingham I believe. Birmingham, UK that is!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast