What can a 36 yr. old woman expect...

Kraliche

I started my bellydancing at 40!!!

I really enjoy having great time with my young friends, as well as older dance sisters ;)

My teacher is in her 60s, and she is the most beautiful and the best dancer I have ever seen.

Go girl!!!

motorcyclemama

Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.

motorcyclemama

I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...

Starmouth

Since I've been learning what I can from youtube and the DVDs I have, I am excited to start a class with others. I even choreograph dances in my mind (stormtrooper outfit and fusion dance to "Smooth Criminal.") I just can't see myself doing these dances. Maybe in time.

You might like Dawn O'Brien. She's a friend of mine and does some very original fusion performances.

Transformers: Disco Fusion in Disguise!!! - YouTube

:D

Greek Bonfire

The main thing about bellydance is the music. When you find the music you like, then you can define your style. If you like heavy metal, you could learn gothic style. All styles are determined by the music more than anything else.

Kashmir

I'm just thinking a lot of black with silver trim and boots (I saw a gothic dance done with black boots). Maybe I should just hush and concentrate on learning my moves...
Yep, physical co-ordination, musical interpretation - and then think about costuming. Although if your music fits your costume I suspect it isn't belly dance you want to learn.

Last edited:

Ahnna

First of all, you're 36, not 96! You are not as old as you seem to think you are.
I know alot of people in their 40s who are performing, and a couple of belly dancers who are over 50. People watch them because of their beautiful dancing.
Maybe you won't become a dancer at some restaurant where they only want some pretty 20 year old with a perfect body, but that does not mean that you cannot perform. There are several performance opportunitites even if you are just a hobbyist, especially if you can find a troupe to join. Haflas, performances for friends and family, cultural fairs...

In one of my classes we have a woman who is in her mid-70s! She has been dancing for 5 years, takes several classes and performs along with all the other students at the show at the end of each semester and she does brilliantly. She is truly an inspiration! But I have also come across several beginners who were far older than you when they started.

Besides, there is a lot to be gained even if you never become a performer. Most people who take classes never become a pro anyway. They take the classes for love of the dance, love of the music, or just for plain fun. It's a great way to get some exercise, improve co-ordination, and improve body awareness. And it is so much fun!

Last edited:

Caelyn

I'm overweight and not much to look at

what?? this might be one of your problems, that you think of yourself this way. who says you're not much to look at? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there's really no such thing as an unattractive person. :) no matter what you look like there will be people who will be unimpressed and others who will be completely entranced by you.

And I've seen quite a few dancers who were overweight and also absolutely captivating and amazing.

exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAOY7xzHxE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ap08BTnv0&feature=related

the larger dancer in these clips is the one that I cannot take my eyes off of; her movements are so graceful and powerful and liquid, and she is just gorgeous.

don't let faulty negative self-perceptions hold you back from doing something you might enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Shiro

In my opinion, bellydance tends to look better when your a little bit bigger ;)
Self confidence is a powerful thing. I love seeing big belly dancers who love who they are and don't care that they have anything extra, it's more to love.

Lara

Yes, and what's surprising is that for many of them, you would never know they were over 30. There is something in this dance that encourages a curvy body while discouraging wrinkles. It's magic :)

maybe in general, but not always! I have no hips, never have, even when my belly puts on plenty of weight. I've had wrinkles since age 17 and they're only getting worse. Sometimes it really is just genetics! Funny thing is, when I'm dancing no one can tell. In my civies, people notice the grey hairs and the crows feet, but when I dance, I've been told so-&-so thought you were only 20. That's what joy does to you. It gives you a glow that surpasses our average day to day perception of beauty.

I'm 33, been dancing since I was 12, but I understand looking around, seeing all the just-out-of-teens dancers without a care in the world and *feeling* old and past it. . For me, I end up wondering if I can compete with these folks. Truth is, I don't have to- that's not what this dance is about. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes to all the external aspects and just dance, because you need that physical release to work you through all the other self doubts and external pressures. I hope you find that expression which gives you joy and release, whether it ends up being belly dance for you or not. I think it's a good place to start!

What you are feeling is a legitimate response to the world around you, but I encourage you look around at all the wonderful, joyful dancers who are still dancing *throughout* their lives and pick yourself back up & find your own place. Maybe you are driven to perform, maybe you never do, you just don't know what you will even want until you get there. Blessings on your journey!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I started my bellydancing at 40!!!

I really enjoy having great time with my young friends, as well as older dance sisters ;)

My teacher is in her 60s, and she is the most beautiful and the best dancer I have ever seen.

Go girl!!!

I could have written this.

I too started at 40. I love all my dance sisters, young and old. My teacher is 61. Several of the very MOST respected teachers in Belly Dance are in their 60s or older.

The late, great Bert Balladine once said (paraphrased): "You don't have anything to dance about if you're younger than 35".

Don't worry about your size/weight either - some of the best dancers in the business are quite large, the literally float across the stage they're that graceful!