What can a 36 yr. old woman expect...

motorcyclemama

to gain from learning to belly dance? I doubt anyone really wants to be entertained by old ladies, but I would love to perform (for fun). Are there such things as dance troups where I could have partners? Am I just too old?

gisela

Super Moderator
You are not too old ;)
Most of the professional dancers I admire, are well into their forties.
I think there is so much to gain from bellydance. Muscle control and toning, social enjoyment, new friends, a new hobby, gaining confidence etc etc.
Depending on where you live there could be a troupe out there just right for you. If you start taking classes, the teacher could have a troupe or you could form a semi-sort-of-troupe with the rest of the class. Usually, where there is an active bellydance community, there is also some opportunities to perform, even as a beginner, at informal dance parties (called Hafla) or recitals at the dance school.

Start investigating your area and find some teachers. Some will let you try it out for small fee without committing to the entire year or offer shorter sessions like 5-6 weeks.

You should do it :)

Darshiva

Motorcyclemama, I'm only one year younger than you, I'm overweight and I have no trouble getting gigs nor keeping up with younger or slimmer dancers. Bellydance is the one dance genre where it is encouraged to be older or have some padding (perhaps not as much as I do, but even more than I have is not frowned upon). Bellydancing comes from life, so like a painter or writer, the older we are, the more we've experienced that we can draw upon for our performance - whether that be in a classroom setting, up on stage, or anywhere in between.

What you can expect from dance will vary according to each classroom you enter. It's probably best not to go in with any expectations about what bellydance is, to just experience it & form your own opinions. Be aware that you will be nervous, though. That's normal, and it last for anywhere from 30 seconds to 6 months, depending on what you are normally like in a new situation and what the classroom is like. I was going to give an age range of people who join bellydance classes, but again that varies according to location. In a major city, the average join age will be younger. In a more rural area, the average join age will be older. That said, even that generalisation can be turned on it's head and you may well find yourself being the baby of the group in the city, etc. Definitely understand that your first time will be unique to you - even the people who join your class on the same day will experience it differently to you.

Bellydance is a strange and wonderful journey. I wish you all the best with it.

Kashmir

to gain from learning to belly dance? I doubt anyone really wants to be entertained by old ladies, but I would love to perform (for fun). Are there such things as dance troups where I could have partners? Am I just too old?
If 36 is "old" then I'm ancient - but I still get gigs. That said, if you start today don't expect to be dancing for the gneral public for a few years - there's lots to learn before you have enough skill or experience to "perform".

In addition to performing though you get to learn about controlling your body; you can improve control, flexibility and strength; you learn about a whole new culture and new musical genres; etc etc

Mosaic

Super Moderator
If you are "old" Then I am more than ancient ... I am dust:lol: I am 63 in a weeks time. No I don't dance in restaurants, but within my bellydance community and I teach (at the moment mainly relief teaching) Teaching is my way of giving back to the community and I love it. One of my teachers has a 70 year old lady who began to learn bellydancing at the beginning of this year, she doesn't want to dance at student haflas or anywhere, she is doing it for fun and to keep active and she loves it! A lot of professional dancers are older than 36, a good friend of mine is 49 and teaches and dances professionally. Believe me, dancing keeps you young - Just go for it, have fun & enjoy. You can dance at local student haflas when you are ready within a group. Dance for your friends or just dance for yourself:D
~Mosaic

walladah

If you think you are too old

...bellydance will probably will not change your mind, despite the good physical condition and stamina it will give you.

But if you are just searching for compliments concerning age, here is a good one:
No bellydancer is really good earlier than her 40 (this is what Arabs say).

They mean, that experience of life before 40 is not really enough to make one a good bellydancer, as a bellydancer is expected to express life itself.

So, you have 4 years to work hard and become a very good bellydancer, and yes, i know many dancers who are over 50 and still dance (in public) and teach.

By the way, if your dream is to entertain people, go for it! I am afraid though, that people who want to be entertained might really not want to enjoy a bellydance performance. If you want to express yourself and share joy, then you are right in considering bellydance as your new thing... people around a bellydancer are not entertainment consumers (how can they be?).

motorcyclemama

I'm overweight and not much to look at but I love the costumes, even have a bit of affinity for the gothic style of belly dance. I have some DVDs I use, but I want to network with others to go further. I live close to Murfreesboro, Tennessee (a college town) and fairly close to Nashville. I just don't want to be in class with all 20 yr. olds. I appreciate a variety of ages. If I could ever get good enough to perform, that would be wonderful. I've worked and taken care of kids most of my adulthood and just want to do something for myself.

Shiro

I actually really enjoy seeing older women enjoying belly dance as much as us young people do. Belly dance is great for your self esteem and it's a wonderful way to express yourself! I use my belly dance workouts to help take my mind off of life's troubles and to help me through an addiction.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

just want to do something for myself.

THIS -- this is exactly what you can expect to get out of it. :)

You certainly don't have to have "performance" as your ultimate goal for learning to dance. When I quit ballet I swore I was never dancing in public/performing again. The thing I liked so much about bellydance was how easy it was to just self-express with a limited movement vocabulary. You get some great music, learn 3 or 4 movements, and you really CAN express your self through movement. It's awesome.

Mama -- do you need teacher suggestions for Nashville? I know some older (and by older I mean my age -- 40s) teachers in the area you would probably enjoy studying with. Also, save the first weekend of March of 2012 because the ever-fabulous Ranya Renee is going to be doing a workshop in Nashville, and you will LOVE her!

Starmouth

Motorcyclemama, you are certainly not too old to start dancing, and if you join a class you will probably get opportunities to perform at community events and student haflas, on your own and/or as part of a troupe.

There are millions of different costuming options for people of all sizes and in general the belly dance community is very accepting of older/larger dancers.

Give it a go! You could end up as hooked as the rest of us. :lol:

motorcyclemama

THIS -- this is exactly what you can expect to get out of it. :)

You certainly don't have to have "performance" as your ultimate goal for learning to dance. When I quit ballet I swore I was never dancing in public/performing again. The thing I liked so much about bellydance was how easy it was to just self-express with a limited movement vocabulary. You get some great music, learn 3 or 4 movements, and you really CAN express your self through movement. It's awesome.

Mama -- do you need teacher suggestions for Nashville? I know some older (and by older I mean my age -- 40s) teachers in the area you would probably enjoy studying with. Also, save the first weekend of March of 2012 because the ever-fabulous Ranya Renee is going to be doing a workshop in Nashville, and you will LOVE her!

This gets me excited! Please share the info. for the instructors you know.

Shanazel

Dance because you love movement, music, and expanding your horizons. Dance because it's fun. Dance because it's good exercise and a great way to meet new friends of all ages. Dance just for the hell of it.

:lol: :lol::lol: Thirty-six old, my god, I didn't even have my second baby until I was thirty eight. I went back to school at 42. I'm still teaching belly dance and occasionally dancing for public audiences at 56. I started riding my own motorcycle again at 55 after ten years of looking at the back of my huisband's head and made two 1200+ miles trips this year. I got my first horse after I turned fifty and started riding again despite arthritis and extra weight after a 28 year streak of no horses at all . In two weeks I am on my way to Germany to perform children's theater at a dozen military bases over a three week period. Thirty six old? Good grief. I hadn't even gotten started at that age. And whether you know it or not- neither have you.;)

LilithNoor

Echoing what everyone else said- that ain't old!

The oldest member of the ATS troupe I dance with is in her seventies, and she didn't start learning bellydance until well after she had her free bus pass!

walladah

More hints from personal experience:

1) if you think you have some weight you do not want on your body anymore, you start a healthier meals schedule and preparation routine, but in the meantime you find a design you really like (it can be a bedlah or a dress or a tribal costume [tip:tribal costumes are the most flattering for ANY type of body-shape] and you invest in it, so that you have already a nice costume to perform.

2) Performing might not be so far away, esp. when your friends and neighbours will learn about your new art. Actually, you will be the one to postpone performing...

3) working with DVDs is fine, esp. if you do not have a teacher nearby. Make sure you can dedicate 1-2 hours at least in studying with the DVDs per week (just like as if you went to a dance school). However, in case you have a good teacher nearby, the best is to go there and attend the classes, no matter what the age of the other students might be. Are you going to punish yourself because other women in their 30s are not interested in taking bellydance classes?

4) Do attend Ranya Renee's workshop if she visits your area and definitely buy her DVDs, watch her youtube videos and anyway, she is a marvellous dancer and teacher with a vision about bellydance. Do attend the workshop by any teacher that you think is good and visits your area (usually in workshops, local teachers also take part, so ages vary - but in any case, forget about the age of the others in the room, honey!).

5) Try to find a friend of yours who might be interested in working with you on th DVDs (so that it does not get boring, being alone in front of a PC screen) or in attending classes at the dance school nearby. In case you have no such friend, make one!

teela

I will echo everyone else here. You are at the perfect age to learn. I was in my 40's when I began and I"m still dancing. I perform once in a while at workshop shows in my area due to living a distance from lessons and such. Remember age is only a number. It does not have to restrict us at all. I love bellydance, try to do it as much as I can and bemoan the fact I don't have enough hours in the day to do as much dance as I want. Go for it and don't let your selfdoubts confine your ambitions. To quote a lady I used to babysit for long time ago in the 60's whose sister worked in the middle east as a belly dancer. "you have to have a belly to be a belly dancer". To quote another good stage play "real women have curves" Go for it and enjoy yourself.

Darshiva

Expect to have a lot of fun and meet new people... you won't regret it!

To be honest, I didn't enjoy my first six months of bellydancing at all. I had a horrible teacher & I kept getting trampled in every class. It was awful. It took me a long time to find my niche in bellydance, but I don't regret it at all. I knew from the start that it's what I wanted to do so I kept at it. That's why I gave the advice I did to MM - that everyone's experience will be different even if they start the same class at the same time. I know that the girls doing the trampling in my class were too busy having a great time to notice me getting in their way! ;)

Greek Bonfire

First thing you have to do is get rid of the idea that you are old. I swear, I laughed out loud when I saw what you wrote about being 36 years old as being an old lady because that is too funny! That is when a woman is approaching the height of her beauty, wisdom and her own belief in herself.

On that note, 46, 56 and 66 are still not that old, and look at Aunt Rocky who still gets gigs in her seventies! So please, just dump the idea that you are old because it is totally the opposite! It really is true that you are as old as you feel, and I don't plan on getting old at all!

Duvet

Just to agree with the comments already made.
Who told you that 36 is old?!
Most dancers I know, and especially those I enjoy watching, are into their 40s, 50s and beyond. There are plenty of teenagers and 20-somethings in the Bellydance world too. It’s great to watch their (admittedly at times enviable) energy and ability, but you can also see them mature and change as they grow in experience.
Once you get beyond the stereotype of the young nubile hips and glitz, ii is all about the emotion; expressing yourself, connecting with the music, revealing the joy (or sadness) you feel within yourself and with whatever audience might happen to be in the line of fire. Elegance has nothing to do with age or shape.
If other people have told you you’re too old, they have a restricted view of the reality.
If YOU think you’re too old, get out there and prove yourself wrong!! You already want to.

Expect to have fun, make friends, gain confidence, get thoroughly addicted to it, and still be doing it when you ARE old.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Most dancers I know, and especially those I enjoy watching, are into their 40s, 50s and beyond.

Yes, and what's surprising is that for many of them, you would never know they were over 30. There is something in this dance that encourages a curvy body while discouraging wrinkles. It's magic :)