Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which is the best belly dance school in NYC for beginners???

Hi everyone,

I am dying to start taking belly dance lessons again!!! I was working with a close friend that could dance but not teach. Does anyone know of a good, beginner instructor/school that I could learn from in NYC.

Your answers and advise are greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olgs34 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am dying to start taking belly dance lessons again!!! I was working with a close friend that could dance but not teach. Does anyone know of a good, beginner instructor/school that I could learn from in NYC.

Your answers and advise are greatly appreciated
    What style of dance are you looking to learn?

What part of NYC is most convenient for you? (Downtown/Uptown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc)

Are you looking for group instruction or private instruction?

I don't take classes in NYC, but I know that many high profile dancers and companies call it home so you have lots of options. If you're more specific about what you're looking for, perhaps some natives can point you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the UK and don't know NYC at all, but I'm pretty sure that's where Ranya Renee is based; if you're anywhere near her, I'd go to her! She's an amazing teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

doesn't tarik teach somewhere in NYC as well?

Post Thanks / Like

NYC is a big place full of top-notch teachers and dancers. It would really be helpful if you were a little more specific than just saying "I need beginner classes," and told us more about the style/s you are interested in, and perhaps a little more specific about the location, as well.

Here are some of my favorite NYC teachers:

Ranya Renee - Middle Eastern Belly Dance | DVDs, Classes and Workshops | New York & International
    Jehan - Jehan Kamal - Temple of Jehan - Classes & Workshops
    Samara - Samara Belly Dancing (New York, NY) (her official website doesn't appear to be working right now)
    Shoshanna - Shoshana Bellydance | The Rose of Cairo | Belly dancing classes and performances in Queens and the New York Tri-State area

There are many other wonderful teachers there, as well. Bellyqueen is based out of NYC, as is Morocco, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, many of the WDNY and Venus Uprising girls, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    NYC is a big place full of top-notch teachers and dancers. It would really be helpful if you were a little more specific than just saying "I need beginner classes," and told us more about the style/s you are interested in, and perhaps a little more specific about the location, as well.

Here are some of my favorite NYC teachers:

Ranya Renee - Middle Eastern Belly Dance | DVDs, Classes and Workshops | New York & International
    Jehan - Jehan Kamal - Temple of Jehan - Classes & Workshops
    Samara - Samara Belly Dancing (New York, NY) (her official website doesn't appear to be working right now)
    Shoshanna - Shoshana Bellydance | The Rose of Cairo | Belly dancing classes and performances in Queens and the New York Tri-State area

There are many other wonderful teachers there, as well. Bellyqueen is based out of NYC, as is Morocco, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, many of the WDNY and Venus Uprising girls, etc.
    OMG! NY is so lucky, I am totally green with envy So many great dancers, one wouldn't know where to begin or end!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd spend all of my money on classes and never have any left over for workshops or costumes if I lived in NYC!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Junior Member ballroomdancesteps's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Belly dancing lessons in NYC

Hi,

You can check with Shamira Belly dance institute in NYC. It's one of the top dance academy. It now providing a 6 week beginner course. I've attended to these classes. They are simply fantastic.
    Last edited by Daimona; 10-03-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Removing irrelevant link

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Which is the best belly dance school for beginners in NYC???

Hi fellow members,

Wow, Thanks to all of you for such great advise!!! I haven't been online in a few months because I had a death in the family and needed time to heal. I am back now and still want to fulfill my passion and dream for belly dancing.
    I interested in the Egyptian style. I live in White Plains, NY which is a 35 minute train ride to NYC Manhattan. I know that the best belly dance schools are in NYC not in the suburbs. Midtown/West side is the most convenient for me but I can go anywhere as long as I get excellent instruction.

I am also unemployed now, and need an extra boost. I got laid off twice in 6 months for company downsizing. So, I have some more time now to dedicate to belly dancing and uplifting my self esteem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olgs34 View Post
    Hi fellow members,

Wow, Thanks to all of you for such great advise!!! I haven't been online in a few months because I had a death in the family and needed time to heal. I am back now and still want to fulfill my passion and dream for belly dancing.
    I interested in the Egyptian style. I live in White Plains, NY which is a 35 minute train ride to NYC Manhattan. I know that the best belly dance schools are in NYC not in the suburbs. Midtown/West side is the most convenient for me but I can go anywhere as long as I get excellent instruction.

I am also unemployed now, and need an extra boost. I got laid off twice in 6 months for company downsizing. So, I have some more time now to dedicate to belly dancing and uplifting my self esteem
    Jehan teaches at Belly Dance America which is only a couple of blocks away from Penn Station, so no subway required. I love that because for me to get to the city is already almost a 2 hour train ride, so adding travel time within the city can make it an even longer trip...

She is a really genius teacher and performer. Ridiculously powerful and engaging and a very sweet lady to boot. She is known for her crazy fusion stuff but she is actually VERY rooted in traditional styles, and the dancers she has trained who are now professionals are simply amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast