Which is the best belly dance school in NYC for beginners???

Olgs34

Hi everyone,

I am dying to start taking belly dance lessons again!!! I was working with a close friend that could dance but not teach. Does anyone know of a good, beginner instructor/school that I could learn from in NYC.

Your answers and advise are greatly appreciated :)

Sirène

Hi everyone,

I am dying to start taking belly dance lessons again!!! I was working with a close friend that could dance but not teach. Does anyone know of a good, beginner instructor/school that I could learn from in NYC.

Your answers and advise are greatly appreciated :)

What style of dance are you looking to learn?

What part of NYC is most convenient for you? (Downtown/Uptown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc)

Are you looking for group instruction or private instruction?

I don't take classes in NYC, but I know that many high profile dancers and companies call it home so you have lots of options. If you're more specific about what you're looking for, perhaps some natives can point you in the right direction. :)

Corylus

I'm from the UK and don't know NYC at all, but I'm pretty sure that's where Ranya Renee is based; if you're anywhere near her, I'd go to her! She's an amazing teacher.

Yame

NYC is a big place full of top-notch teachers and dancers. It would really be helpful if you were a little more specific than just saying "I need beginner classes," and told us more about the style/s you are interested in, and perhaps a little more specific about the location, as well.

Here are some of my favorite NYC teachers:

Ranya Renee - Middle Eastern Belly Dance | DVDs, Classes and Workshops | New York & International
Jehan - Jehan Kamal - Temple of Jehan - Classes & Workshops
Samara - Samara Belly Dancing (New York, NY) (her official website doesn't appear to be working right now)
Shoshanna - Shoshana Bellydance | The Rose of Cairo | Belly dancing classes and performances in Queens and the New York Tri-State area

There are many other wonderful teachers there, as well. Bellyqueen is based out of NYC, as is Morocco, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, many of the WDNY and Venus Uprising girls, etc.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
NYC is a big place full of top-notch teachers and dancers. It would really be helpful if you were a little more specific than just saying "I need beginner classes," and told us more about the style/s you are interested in, and perhaps a little more specific about the location, as well.

Here are some of my favorite NYC teachers:

Ranya Renee - Middle Eastern Belly Dance | DVDs, Classes and Workshops | New York & International
Jehan - Jehan Kamal - Temple of Jehan - Classes & Workshops
Samara - Samara Belly Dancing (New York, NY) (her official website doesn't appear to be working right now)
Shoshanna - Shoshana Bellydance | The Rose of Cairo | Belly dancing classes and performances in Queens and the New York Tri-State area

There are many other wonderful teachers there, as well. Bellyqueen is based out of NYC, as is Morocco, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, many of the WDNY and Venus Uprising girls, etc.
OMG! NY is so lucky, I am totally green with envy:D So many great dancers, one wouldn't know where to begin or end!:lol:
~Mosaic

Darshiva

I'd spend all of my money on classes and never have any left over for workshops or costumes if I lived in NYC!

Re: Belly dancing lessons in NYC

Hi,

You can check with Shamira Belly dance institute in NYC. It's one of the top dance academy. It now providing a 6 week beginner course. I've attended to these classes. They are simply fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olgs34

Which is the best belly dance school for beginners in NYC???

Hi fellow members,

Wow, Thanks to all of you for such great advise!!! I haven't been online in a few months because I had a death in the family and needed time to heal. I am back now and still want to fulfill my passion and dream for belly dancing.
I interested in the Egyptian style. I live in White Plains, NY which is a 35 minute train ride to NYC Manhattan. I know that the best belly dance schools are in NYC not in the suburbs. Midtown/West side is the most convenient for me but I can go anywhere as long as I get excellent instruction.

I am also unemployed now, and need an extra boost. I got laid off twice in 6 months for company downsizing. So, I have some more time now to dedicate to belly dancing and uplifting my self esteem :)

Yame

Hi fellow members,

Wow, Thanks to all of you for such great advise!!! I haven't been online in a few months because I had a death in the family and needed time to heal. I am back now and still want to fulfill my passion and dream for belly dancing.
I interested in the Egyptian style. I live in White Plains, NY which is a 35 minute train ride to NYC Manhattan. I know that the best belly dance schools are in NYC not in the suburbs. Midtown/West side is the most convenient for me but I can go anywhere as long as I get excellent instruction.

I am also unemployed now, and need an extra boost. I got laid off twice in 6 months for company downsizing. So, I have some more time now to dedicate to belly dancing and uplifting my self esteem :)

Jehan teaches at Belly Dance America which is only a couple of blocks away from Penn Station, so no subway required. I love that because for me to get to the city is already almost a 2 hour train ride, so adding travel time within the city can make it an even longer trip...

She is a really genius teacher and performer. Ridiculously powerful and engaging and a very sweet lady to boot. She is known for her crazy fusion stuff but she is actually VERY rooted in traditional styles, and the dancers she has trained who are now professionals are simply amazing.

Olgs34

Jehan teaches at Belly Dance America which is only a couple of blocks away from Penn Station, so no subway required. I love that because for me to get to the city is already almost a 2 hour train ride, so adding travel time within the city can make it an even longer trip...

She is a really genius teacher and performer. Ridiculously powerful and engaging and a very sweet lady to boot. She is known for her crazy fusion stuff but she is actually VERY rooted in traditional styles, and the dancers she has trained who are now professionals are simply amazing.

Hi Yame,

Thank you so much for your help. I actually take the Metro North trains from Grand Central Station and it's 35 minutes on the express train and the I have a 10 minute drive to my house. So, I agree with you about not adding the extra train commute.

If the classes are in Penn station the that's transferring to 1 train and 1 stop.
Do you know of any instructors near Grand Central Station?

I am quite impressed with all of your experience. Are you a professional dancer or instructor yourself? Have you trained with Jehan or any of the instructors?

The more info that I get from this web site the more motivated I get to start dancing.

And I saw your photo. You look stunning!!! I need to post my picture too but don't know how.

Talk to you soon

Yame

Hi Yame,

Thank you so much for your help. I actually take the Metro North trains from Grand Central Station and it's 35 minutes on the express train and the I have a 10 minute drive to my house. So, I agree with you about not adding the extra train commute.

If the classes are in Penn station the that's transferring to 1 train and 1 stop.

I am quite impressed with all of your experience. Are you a professional dancer or instructor yourself? Have you trained with Jehan or any of the instructors?

The more info that I get from this web site the more motivated I get to start dancing.

And I saw your photo. You look stunning!!! I need to post my picture too but don't know how.

Talk to you soon
I'm not sure about classes near Grand Central, since I never really go that way... but NY is such a huge place and there are dozens and dozens of top-notch dancers and teachers over there. Check out the links I posted and see if any of those teachers teaches somewhere that would be convenient for you. If not, then try to find out about other NY teachers... I can't even scratch the surface with my recommendations, because there are so many great dancers in the city that I just personally haven't experienced... I am hoping someone on this board actually is FROM the city and can give you a better breakdown.

I have taken workshops with Samara and Shoshanna, a private with Ranya Renee and workshops and a few Saturday classes with Jehan. This is why I recommended them and added links to their websites, because I can say from personal experience they are all great instructors. However my experience with all of them has not been extensive, as I do not live in the city and can't go there weekly for regular classes with those teachers. I also have to say, I have not experienced any of these teachers as a beginner... I had been dancing for a few years before taking their classes/workshops, so I don't know how they are in terms of breaking down movement for beginners specifically. So your mileage may vary. But these were the NY teachers I was most impressed with based on my experience, however small, of studying with them and watching them perform. They are all great performers, too.

I consider myself semi-professional based on the fact that I take professional gigs and teach, however I do not do it often enough, and don't really market myself, to be able to say I'm a full-out professional. I am still very much focused on my own dance education and on improving my dancing above getting a piece of the pie in this competitive market. With that said, I am more than qualified enough to perform professionally and teach, based on my area's standards, so despite the fact that I don't market myself I have been given numerous opportunities by my peers. So short answer is; it's complicated... I'd rather keep learning and dancing than focus much on the labels ;)

And thank you for the compliments. Best of luck in finding a teacher you like!

Olgs34

I'm not sure about classes near Grand Central, since I never really go that way... but NY is such a huge place and there are dozens and dozens of top-notch dancers and teachers over there. Check out the links I posted and see if any of those teachers teaches somewhere that would be convenient for you. If not, then try to find out about other NY teachers... I can't even scratch the surface with my recommendations, because there are so many great dancers in the city that I just personally haven't experienced... I am hoping someone on this board actually is FROM the city and can give you a better breakdown.

I have taken workshops with Samara and Shoshanna, a private with Ranya Renee and workshops and a few Saturday classes with Jehan. This is why I recommended them and added links to their websites, because I can say from personal experience they are all great instructors. However my experience with all of them has not been extensive, as I do not live in the city and can't go there weekly for regular classes with those teachers. I also have to say, I have not experienced any of these teachers as a beginner... I had been dancing for a few years before taking their classes/workshops, so I don't know how they are in terms of breaking down movement for beginners specifically. So your mileage may vary. But these were the NY teachers I was most impressed with based on my experience, however small, of studying with them and watching them perform. They are all great performers, too.

I consider myself semi-professional based on the fact that I take professional gigs and teach, however I do not do it often enough, and don't really market myself, to be able to say I'm a full-out professional. I am still very much focused on my own dance education and on improving my dancing above getting a piece of the pie in this competitive market. With that said, I am more than qualified enough to perform professionally and teach, based on my area's standards, so despite the fact that I don't market myself I have been given numerous opportunities by my peers. So short answer is; it's complicated... I'd rather keep learning and dancing than focus much on the labels ;)

And thank you for the compliments. Best of luck in finding a teacher you like!
I will start out with Jehan and see how that goes. In your opinion, as a beginner how many times a week should I start with? I was thinking two times a week.

Yame

I will start out with Jehan and see how that goes. In your opinion, as a beginner how many times a week should I start with? I was thinking two times a week.

It depends on your personal availability and what is available to you. My general advice would be "as many as possible!" (allowing of course for at least one or two rest days), but we all know we are limited by things such as time and money and even how many classes a teacher offers. So realistically speaking, you may only be able to take classes once or twice a week, and that's fine too as long as you practice regularly on your own.

When I was starting out, I couldn't find classes so I just started with DVDs. When I finally did find classes, I was constantly on hiatus for a variety of reasons, including the fact that after a session ended it would take my teacher months to get enough students for another session. So for my first one or two years of dance I was constantly on breaks from classes, during which I relied very heavily on DVDs and my own discipline to practice. So even once-a-week classes would have been an improvement for me when I was starting out, nevermind twice a week... that for me would have been unheard of! But being closer to the city, there are many more resources available.

Olgs34

It depends on your personal availability and what is available to you. My general advice would be "as many as possible!" (allowing of course for at least one or two rest days), but we all know we are limited by things such as time and money and even how many classes a teacher offers. So realistically speaking, you may only be able to take classes once or twice a week, and that's fine too as long as you practice regularly on your own.

When I was starting out, I couldn't find classes so I just started with DVDs. When I finally did find classes, I was constantly on hiatus for a variety of reasons, including the fact that after a session ended it would take my teacher months to get enough students for another session. So for my first one or two years of dance I was constantly on breaks from classes, during which I relied very heavily on DVDs and my own discipline to practice. So even once-a-week classes would have been an improvement for me when I was starting out, nevermind twice a week... that for me would have been unheard of! But being closer to the city, there are many more resources available.
That's a great idea also. I could practice with DVD's! Can you share with me, which ones are the most helpful for beginners?

Sirène

If I may throw out a few thoughts here ;)...

I believe Solstice Studio is the closest to Grand Central Station, however I would anticipate it's strictly ATS/fusion instruction. Bellydance America is only a few blocks farther.

If you're coming from Grand Central Station I would skip the subway ride and just walk. It's 20 minutes on foot, tops. That may not sound quick, but you can spend $2.25 and up waiting longer for a train which will not leave you at your exact destination. Walking is the fastest way to get around NYC even with holiday tourists and protesters thick on the ground — as I learned yesterday :lol:.

With that said, I am more than qualified enough to perform professionally and teach, based on my area's standards

She's an absolutely wonderful teacher, one of the best kept secrets in the area IMHO.

When I finally did find classes, I was constantly on hiatus for a variety of reasons, including the fact that after a session ended it would take my teacher months to get enough students for another session.

Sad but true. I've tried to register for an advanced beginner class three times already, and had all three sessions cancelled right before the start date. :( One of the (few) downsides to no longer living in NYC.

That's a great idea also. I could practice with DVD's! Can you share with me, which ones are the most helpful for beginners?

For precise movement breakdowns Autumn Ward's Bellydance: Beautiful Technique from Step One and the first two volumes of Belly by Sandra are very good. For dancing along, WDNY's Luscious is a nice starting point. Jillina's Shape Up 'n Hip Out also gets lots of positive feedback, but I don't own it yet.

AutumnWard

Hello dancers! I'm the Autumn Ward mentioned (as a DVD instructor) in the above post. Apologies for barging in with self-promotion, but I want to let NYC dancers know that, after a bit of a hiatus, I'll be returning to teaching regular weekly classes in January of 2012. Details here: autumnward.com/class.php

Shanazel

Hi, Autumn. Welcome!

Wow, imagine having a choice of classes, a choice of teachers, a choice of studios... the Wyoming mind boggles. :shok:

Ariadne

<--- Succumbs to fandom for one minute and squees in excitement.

Ok, I'm better now.

Hi Autumn. Everyone I know who has studied your DVD etc speaks very highly of your teaching. I'm not a mod but I see no problem with self-promotion in a thread where someone is looking for an instructor. I wish you the best of luck in returning to weekly classes and am just slightly envious of those living in the area.