Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Gah - why didn't I post an "anyone going to Shimmy in the City" thread? I'd have loved to have a meet up.
    I was there too!

I went to Khaled's Mohammed Ali St - I expected the choreo format (and to get lost), but he repeats a lot and gives you background and "not like that, like this", and always does a demo, and in my experience will drop some of the choreo if people aren't getting it. I know what to expect, no gripes there.
    I didn't go to Khaled at Shimmy in the City as I studied with him for a weekend not long ago (khaleegy, oriental and drum solo workshops). I love the way he teaches; I learnt so much from those workshops because, as you have said, he gives a lot of background knowledge about the dance (which I think is so important) and will correct technique if people aren't getting it.

It was Tito's Sha'abi on Sunday, the one I'd been really looking forward to, that drove me nuts. Where I was - no corrections, no like this not that, no chance of seeing what was going on and no chance of catching up if they rotated the rows or split the class, 'cos my view is still 95% someone else's butt. On the plus side, Famous Bellydance Megastar behind me can't follow a choreo she can't see either, which made me feel a lot less useless.
    I didn't go to this, I swapped it for his stick workshop on the Saturday morning as I needed to get home. However, your workshop sounds similar to the experience I had in terms of losing it with the choreography - we did a stick choreography. The rows were rotated in that class though and we did get split into two groups so I can't say that we had no chance of seeing what was going on because breaking us into the two groups enabled everyone to get a goodish view at some point. I didn't feel I learnt much about the subject, just learnt a new choreography. I realised once I left the workshop how little was said in that workshop - may be a little bit to do with language barrier - but very little was said at all, it was mainly a case of watch and learn. I did have fun in the workshop though.

I'm guessing you're referring to Jillina being behind you?! *squeeeee!* I was so thrilled to meet her and do her workshops!

I, as with others who've written here, struggled to grasp the oriental choreography. However, I'm not intending to use that choreography - that's not what I want to get from workshops; I like gaining knowledge and understanding and learning movements that I can incorporate into my own dancing and 'make my own' to suit my body and the way I like to dance. I can definitely say that I feel I learnt combinations and movements, particularly some nice turns, that will help me and it also helped me to think about how to choreograph which is something I struggle with.

As for her drum solo workshop, I felt I did quite well with learning that choreography - she broke it down really well, it wasn't too complicated and she moved the rows round a lot so we could all get to see what she was doing. As with the oriental workshop, I felt I took a lot of useful aspects from Jillina's drum solo workshop. Was a bit nervous when she asked me to go into the middle of the room of people to demonstrate a vertical shimmy (well, that's what we call it in our class!) but it was so amazing to dance with her! Dream come true

Aside from how much I learnt, it was an absolute joy to meet her having admired her since I started my belly dance journey and having been helped greatly by her dvds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Considering how many people (myself included) are willing to pay $75-$200 *per hour* for private lessons with traveling instructors (going rate here), I suspect you could find enough people interested in a middle ground of a small class for an intermediate price...
    I'd be up for that with the right teacher. Corylus organised a small workshop with Ranya Renee a while back, which was excellent. (hello Corylus! <waves>) Another reason to keep in better touch

Post Thanks / Like

Default However, most megastar teachers

DENY to give lessons in private or in small groups. They just say "i have no time for this" and you have to choose either to go to the factory-lesson or not to attend the workshop at all...

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, who does that?

I'm unlikely to get anyone huge out where I live (because I'm close enough to a capital that everyone would go to the workshop there instead, me included!) but I would like a headsup on what's going to be a negative learning environment for me. (I do not do well with aural and while I am getting better with visual, I am still not where I need to be with it to get optimum results from workshop attendance).

FYI - in my opinion, Ava Fleming is freaking awesome. Very pushy & proddy & 'here, feel the way I do this' with her teaching - I think I learned more from her in the course of a weekend than I did for the entirety of my bellydance career beforehand!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corylus View Post
    I was there too!

So was I !

I did think the workshops were overcrowded. I have gone off choreo workshops and expected something more/ different from the stars. I enjoy a good choreo anyways and having a dance but I wouldnt book it again...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be up for that with the right teacher. Corylus organised a small workshop with Ranya Renee a while back, which was excellent. (hello Corylus! <waves>) Another reason to keep in better touch
    Hi! *waves back!*

I'd love to organise another one with her someday, I will do if she comes back over here for a few days!

I'm happy to pay for the tuition, it's worth it in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I will come this time now I'm retired!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    FYI - in my opinion, Ava Fleming is freaking awesome. Very pushy & proddy & 'here, feel the way I do this' with her teaching - I think I learned more from her in the course of a weekend than I did for the entirety of my bellydance career beforehand!
    She is phantabulous!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123