Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Teaching...Gulp...

So..I was approached by my Teacher to sub for her, this month, with Beg. classes.She will be gone. She said if it works out. she'd like me to take over. I'm excited and nervous, at the same time.I went to watch her last class to observe, but nobody showed up. It is a new term and all new people signed up. This left me guessing what to start with. I have lots of ideas for lesson plans, but am not sure about filling a whole hour? This is my biggest concern. Its funny because I always enjoyed going to classes,over the years, and an hour seems to go by quickly. Now though, an hour feels quite different when you're trying to fill it. I know to start a general warm up and cool down but how do you approach the drills? What number of reps do you like to use when teaching a new move? Do you walk around alot or only when you see someone's having trouble? When do you start introducing combos? Immediately or after a few classes? Any other thoughts or suggestions?Whewww...Can you tell I'm a little anxious? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I usually drill for a track 3-5 minutes. Uusally only 2 or 3 drills max (I have 75 minutes classes).

You can also teach 1 or 2 "new" moves - make sure they are safe and appropriate to the level. Think about several ways to teach them; think about visualizations. Consider what could go wrong and have backups in place - but also plan extensions for those who are quick on the uptake.

A combination using the new move is also an option.

If planning a month maybe you could have a special topic eg a prop like zills, veil or cane; or a subgenre - drum if their technique could handle it (ie not beginners with less than say 12 months), a folk style, direction changes with hip weight shifts - or something.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I always overplan so that I have something to teach in case they catch on quickly! Another way to plan is to teach a choreo. You make your choreo, then start teaching the moves and steps that will be in the choreo.... if you teach them in sequence, you can actually get them started dancing to the music by the second class.