Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bast View Post
    Mystery explained! I was wondering how you lasted through all the filming for the shimmy DVD with a relaxed smile on your face.

One chapter is enough to kill me at the moment but I'm hanging in there
    Aww, you are so nice!

Shooting the DVD itself was a bit different than going through the whole workout, in some ways easier and in other ways, harder. It was easier because we were able to take breaks between the sections, but also harder because we had to repeat each section 2 or 3 times (2 to get different angles, 3 if we messed up somewhere) and because the whole thing took something like 6 hours total to record. In the rehearsals, we would go through the whole thing straight through and I think that was more tiring.

I was confident in my shimmy endurance but the strengthening section and choo choo section are killers, and having to do them more than once… ouch!

Anyways it was great being a part of it and it's a nice practice companion for drilling shimmies. The fun music and Sarah's enthusiasm really make it a lot of fun to follow along with. You can do just one or a couple of the 5-minute sections at a time, for drilling "regular" shimmies the regular shimmy section and the combinations section are the best. If you want it for the workout, do the whole thing straight through on a regular basis and you are bound to improve your stamina and endurance and lose some weight.

I hope you are seeing improvement in your shimmies and endurance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    The word “stretch” strictly is something which elongates the muscle fibres. This helps dancers and other athletes improve their range of motion which often (but not always) improves performance over the long term ie it takes weeks or months to get increased muscle length by doing a little every couple of days. You do not need to stretch before dancing.

A looser use is to just move joints through their normal range of motion – but not attempt to elongate muscle fibres. This I often refer to as “mobilization”. When some teachers talk about “stretching” at the start of class – this is what they mean and it is not a problem (but you should still first do something to raise heart rate, temperature first – ie a cardiovascular warm up – but it can be quite short if you then go onto gentle mobilization. (More on this on my blog)

However, other teachers do attempt “real” stretches. That is they ask their students to attempt to elongate muscles – and hold them – without warming up at all. This is dangerous and counter-productive – you won’t stretch your muscles but you might tear muscles, tendons or ligaments (a fellow dancer tore her Achilles this way and couldn’t dance for months).

I wonder if this may come from ignorance and/or misunderstanding of a “standard” dance class. When I did jazz we never warmed up in class – but we were expected to do our own warm up in the green room before class. That is, we were meant to arrive 10 or 15 minutes before class, change and warm up. Simply, it is possible that with a DVD the teacher doesn’t think s/he should waste DVD time with warm ups – which could take 5-15 minutes when dancers should know how to do these. I have seen DVDs where the teacher says “Please warm up before starting on this DVD” – but they don’t say how. Like Chinese whispers we now get teachers who think it is okay to start straight in – or worse stretching is a warm up.

To get over this - stretch after class. Warm up - work - stretch - cool down
    Kasmir, thank you very much for these informations, I didn´t know much about these things... I just love this forum, I always learn so much here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123