Post Thanks / Like

Default Skipping class to do a workshop?

Hi, just curious what teachers out there thought, is it wrong to skip classes with your teacher to attend a workshop somwhere else? Is this wrong or a faux pas, what is your opinion? I'm thinking of taking actually a series of workshops, they are 3 parts, and it's on the same day I have my regular class. I feel torn because I don't want to offend my teacher, but I really want to take this workshop. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

As a teacher, it doesn't bother me when students take a night off to go to another class or workshop unless we are in the middle of preparing for a show or something with a deadline. If you are unsure, maybe just ask your teacher if she has heard of the workshops and whether it would be a problem if you missed a few classes to take the workshops.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mahsati. Teachers want you to improve, so if you feel you will benefit from this workshop then it shouldn't be a problem. Just be polite to your regular teacher and inform her that you are sorry but you can't come the next few weeks. As a very new teacher I realize that it feels much better when the students tell you that they are not able to come next week, instead of just being a no-show

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, do it, but let your teacher know beforehand that you won't make her class.

If it were my student, I'd be expressing envy, desiring to know details (so I could see if it was in my line of study & I could justify going myself) and demanding a recount (and pics if any) when s/he got back to class! I love it when my students take the initiative with their dance educations!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try that?

Post Thanks / Like

Take the workshop. Your teacher is there for you every week, the workshop won't be available again near you anytime soon, if ever.

Post Thanks / Like

In agreement with all the above. But do let your teacher know.