New male bellydancer!

MrNazraq

Hey, everyone!

I've just started bellydancing about 2 months ago. It started when I did a solo blues performance, that included a lot of body rolls and isolations. I decided to explore a dance that really focused on isolations, and it came down to 2 styles: hip-hop and bellydancing. I decided to try bellydancing first, and well, I haven't tried hip-hop yet!

I come from a martial arts (kungfu) background, but also have 7 years of experience with partner dancing.

2002: started kungfu
2004: started lindy hop
2010: started balboa, blues
2011: started tango, belly dancing

I've taken a ballet class before, but found that they are really strict, and it doesn't look like they're having fun. Even though I am a serious student, I take the classes seriously, I do like to laugh and talk to my classmates (after the class is over), to feel like part of a community.

Anyways, my first month was learning some traditional Egyptian bellydancing, now in the second month I've found a fusion instructor (Michelle Reynolds), and tonight will try another Egyptian instructor. I like the sharp moves of the traditional stuff, but also like the smooth, snakey movements of the fusion stuff.

My goal is to show people that a man can still be masculine while bellydancing. The key is in the confidence!

I have my first performance on Dec 3 (the day after my birthday!), and was searching for some male belly dance costumes. I was having trouble finding any that I liked (rather simple design), and stumbled upon this forum.

Well, this is kind of a long post, but I'm excited to be a part of a greater community of belly dancers!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Glad you found us in your search for costumes. If you haven't already go through the posts in Male bellydance forum there are threads with pics of our male counterparts costumes. If you have questions ask away our men & ladies will be sure to help.

One of my instructors came to BD from Karate (she is a black belt instructor - still teaches) she decided about 15 years ago to try BD as an extra outlet & fell totally in love with the dance and ended up performing and teaching. With your background in the martial arts and other dance forms I am sure you will do well. Enjoy the journey:D
~Mosaic

Apphia

Hey! Congrats and welcome!! If you are in to Martial Arts you should google some history on Saidi, which is a type of folkloric form of bellydance that uses canes.. It's descended from Egyptian Cane Fighting, which I thought was totally interesting. If you have a creative bone in your body (or know someone who does) check out 'folkwear patterns' which has a large number of various folkloric patterns, including middle eastern and asian. Kudos to you! We don't have enough male belly dancers to counterpart the females! Good luck!!

RahimaMJR

Your dance/hobby history sounds a little schizo...like mine! I like it. I'm new here too...sub lindy hop for east and west coast swing, and balboa/blues for flamenco and tae kwon do, and we are just about tied, I think. Welcome!

BigJim

Welcome to the forum.... always nice to have another male dancing... as for a costume that's alot tougher to come up with for males than you think... your performance is in two-three weeks which is not much time.... you can always pick up a pair of harem pants and a coin belt/scarf off of ebay and match it with a t-shirt and you are in business for your first time out... that's basically what I did.... however for a "real " costume you'll probably have to do alot of searching to find one you like... more than likely something custom made for design and fit... Good Luck and remember to enjoy every minute of dance