Bagoas at Rakkasah East 2011

PracticalDancer

I got to see this performance live and wanted to share it here. It was the first time I had heard of or seen Bagoas. The crowd was buzzing and seats rapidly filled up before he performed (and then emptied afterwards, a sign that many audience members were there for him). He is a powerful and technically precise dancer, who (although the wide camera angle does not show it well) also works the audience nicely. My one critique is that I would have preferred some type of vest or something to prevent the "topless" look, admitting it would have obscured his really strong ab work.

Enjoy (and forgive me for not embedding, it never works on my computer!)

Bagoas' performance at Rakkasah East 10-16-11 - YouTube

Anala

Sirène

Awww, I wish he'd performed on Saturday. I was lamenting about the lack of male performers, and my husband would have loved a heavy metal number.

...I wonder if he's the same guy who's hair style I kept oggling on Saturday? There was an individual who had what looked like (sharpened!) double pointed knitting needles with painted tips crisscrossing a bun. It may sound weird in print, but it was striking in person.

Yame

I loooove Bagoas! He is an amazing performer, both technically and stage presence-wise. He is also a very sweet and humble person off-stage and a real pleasure to be around!

Sirene, that's the guy I was talking about at lunch. I thought he'd be performing on Saturday, but it turns out he was on the Sunday line-up. By your description, it may have been him you saw, as well. He has a very eccentric personal style, much like his style on stage.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I haven't heard any news of him for several years - he and I exchanged emails a few years ago. I'm glad he's still dancing!

I too don't care for the topless look, a bolero vest would still allow for ab work.

PracticalDancer

Sirene, I didn't know you were at Rakkasah! :) I believe he did wear his hair that way a few times on Saturday. (I took Suhaila's class and sat / stood near him, so I got to see his hair up, down, and up again. :lol:)

Yame, (admittedly off topic) YOUR performance was beautiful! You looked so elegant and graceful and in control of the music (hard to do when dancing to live music)! I met you very briefly, as I was the one who got some private coaching from Cassandra; and, you seemed as elegant and beautiful off stage as on!

This was my first Rakkasah, and I fear I am hooked!

Regards,

Anala

Yame

Sirene, I didn't know you were at Rakkasah! :) I believe he did wear his hair that way a few times on Saturday. (I took Suhaila's class and sat / stood near him, so I got to see his hair up, down, and up again. :lol:)

Yame, (admittedly off topic) YOUR performance was beautiful! You looked so elegant and graceful and in control of the music (hard to do when dancing to live music)! I met you very briefly, as I was the one who got some private coaching from Cassandra; and, you seemed as elegant and beautiful off stage as on!

Regards,

Anala
Whaaattt, that was you???? You should have introduced yourself! I didn't realize that was you! I guess I should have thought of it because I remember you saying on here you'd like to take a private from Cassandra on arms, and Cassandra commented that that had been the topic of the private. Oopsies! Wish we got to hang out more!

I vote we all wear name tags to Rakkasah from now on, with our online avatar photos included. Hah!

MissVega

Whaaattt, that was you???? You should have introduced yourself! I didn't realize that was you! I guess I should have thought of it because I remember you saying on here you'd like to take a private from Cassandra on arms, and Cassandra commented that that had been the topic of the private. Oopsies! Wish we got to hang out more!

I vote we all wear name tags to Rakkasah from now on, with our online avatar photos included. Hah!

DOH! My bad! I didn't even think to introduce us as our forums names LOL.
Yame that is actually a really good idea.
Cassandra Fox
aka MissVega on bellydanceforums and CFoxDance on Bhuz.
Likes shimmies and long walks on the beach;)

Anala it was a pleasure to meet you:D

Yame

DOH! My bad! I didn't even think to introduce us as our forums names LOL.
Yame that is actually a really good idea.
Cassandra Fox
aka MissVega on bellydanceforums and CFoxDance on Bhuz.

Oh, the advantages of using the same name for everything!

Sirène

Yup. I was there as a spectator. ;)

It had to be him shopping on Saturday. I can't imagine another man with that hair-do. As an art lover and a knitter I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I kept wanting to tap an end to see if they were as sharp as they looked. :lol:

Good news is you don't have to wait a year... Spring Caravan! :yay:

Sirène

Sirene, that's the guy I was talking about at lunch. I thought he'd be performing on Saturday...

Oh how I wish he'd performed on Saturday. We got the guy with the hats instead. His name wasn't in the program and I can't recall it at the moment but I was trying desperately to figure out how juggling tied into 'Middle East Culture.' :confused: Can someone enlighten me?

Btw, is there a Rakkasah East 2011 Round-up thread anywhere? I notice a bunch of member videos are already up on YT. :dance: