Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Something different? A bit floofy for my taste though
"Floofy" describes it perfectly! I don't know about anyone else, but I'd step on that skirt hem in about 4.5 seconds and perform an unscheduled graceless face plant. Face plants in general are considered poor form by most reputable dance authorities.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
This is pretty...... till you discover it and can’t unsee it
$140 only! So cheap! Maybe everything is glued on? It would be saveable if some things get moved around.
I saw "it" immediately, and I'm just a dumb male! Almost as bad as a belt with an inverted red triangle in the front!

LibraRaqs

Something different? A bit floofy for my taste though

The swirls of fabric remind me of the sky in Van Gogh's painting, "Starry Night". I think it's really cool and different, certainly more artistically imaginative than traditional; but that can be a good thing. Thanks for sharing!

Shanazel

I saw "it" immediately, and I'm just a dumb male! Almost as bad as a belt with an inverted red triangle in the front!

Well, I still don't see it. Are we talking about the nipple-like construction on the cups? Compared to others, that's pretty tame, so I suspect I'm still missing something. Elucidate, educate, and point the dang thing out, already.

Shanazel

This particular design does have sort of a nipple surrounded by headlights look to it.

I was more fixated on the dangers of the single hook on the band, though I realize not all dancers are in need of massive backup (ahem) features on bras.

LibraRaqs

So, I had a look at the piece in question, and my first thought was: that belt is too narrow. Usually I'm used to narrow belts compensating through a network of hanging embellishments to give it far more height, but it's over simplicity with the large, chunky bead work gives it a kind of "cheap" feel. The bra-belt size ratio is also, I believe, imbalanced. I don't want to throw a fabric artist's work under the bus, I'm sure that they worked hard on it; I just think it could have turned out so much nicer had they done it a little different.

LibraRaqs

example pinterest.jpeg

Kind of like this one. For credits, btw, this is a public domain image from Pinterest. Here we have a narrow belted outfit, bra seems of a pretty average dimension. The two pieces are balanced in proportion to each other through the use of beaded fringe, artistically draped in a turn-of-the-century jewelry style, in Nile-themed colors (Midnight blue, lavender, marsh reed green, and a sandy yellow/tan).

Tourbeau

So, I had a look at the piece in question, and my first thought was: that belt is too narrow.

I think the intention is the color of the skirt will peek through and emphasize the filigrees, so the belt base isn't that important, and the overall effect is similar to having the embellishments sewn on the skirt. I have no idea what color skirt the designer hoped the dancer would wear with the set. Maybe it went with a tan/nude skirt, too?

Usually I'm used to narrow belts compensating through a network of hanging embellishments to give it far more height, but it's over simplicity with the large, chunky bead work gives it a kind of "cheap" feel. The bra-belt size ratio is also, I believe, imbalanced.

Narrow straight belts are easier to fit as a flat contour than wider ones (AKA the dreaded, gapping "tuna can"), so there's that...

The blue costume has to be a Neckelmanns, right? I don't know if they still do, but when they first started selling online, they used plastic beads, which cut down on the weight.

http://www.neckelmanns.com/dance_costumes.html

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The one thing I'll say about that beaded costume, is if it were to "let go", I wouldn't want to follow that dancer! I've spent enough time digging bits of bugle beads out of my feet at 3AM...

Shanazel

About thirty years ago, I made a belt and bra from similar beads, only mine were all silver. Heavy- oh dear goodness, when I swung my hips, the beads took another fifteen seconds to follow and fall into place and by that time I was off in another direction so... Whiplash bruises, visual disruption of dance, the weight of the thing... as a dance costume, it was great for standing around looking sparkly. I took the bedlah apart but still have the beads in case I ever want to make a fancy cosh and beat someone up with it. Only thing I ever saw that was heavier was a bedlah a student made from American pennies. So gorgeous, but weighed a metric ton. She drilled a hole and put a jump ring in every single penny before stitching them to the belt and bra. Took her forever.

LibraRaqs

I have no idea if the beads are glass or plastic, but that would make a ton (no pun intended) of difference!
And that is a good point about the belt width--thanks for bringing that up!

Amulya

Bumped into this random costume. can it be changed? All the elements don’t match

Attachments

• DF8425E2-1EFE-4A70-8B93-10F1F8AA84D3.jpeg
    DF8425E2-1EFE-4A70-8B93-10F1F8AA84D3.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 11

Amulya

I love the teal, but I'm not feeling the "ornamental kale" bra, and the slit on the right front hip is terrifying. Don't wear a costume that upstages your dancing by encouraging the audience to spend your entire performance looking for a wardrobe malfunction!

Yeah, I wondered about all that crunchy organza myself.

Especially if you hid a little Nemo toy in all those skirt ruffles...

ornamental kale! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 That made me laugh so much!

Amulya

The pearl bullseyes or something else?

The big pearls must be beads, since there are a few dangles made with them. It's hard to get a round object to stick to a flatter one without creating a big "bezel" out of glue, and that doesn't appear to be happening (and they're too spherical to be cabochons), so you might be able to get them off the bra. I'm not sure you could do the same for the problematically centered bra filigrees, though.

When that style of costume first came out, people were making the filigrees with covered wire. I'm not sure if that's what is here or if they are some other base like Cricut-ed leather or plastic. And whatever they are, how well do they hold shape after performing a few times in the costume? Do they bend or get floppy?

Also, this is very pretty on the rack, but I personally am not keen on the showgirl-style naked costumes. I know some customers like ultra-sexy costumes, but I would be too cowardly to wear one. Those glue-ons on the straps fade away at a distance or in dim nightclub light, and we're back to an audience staring at everything but your musicality and wondering if they're going to catch a naughty glimpse of something.

I think wire. Bella costumes have been using wire in the costumes forever. It lasts long, but uit will have to be replaced eventually and I think for those thin ornaments that would be a pain!

I’m not a fan of the ultra sexy costumes, they can look good, but audience would be concentrating, less on the dancing I think. This one could be combined with a more covering skirt and it would be instan different..... except for the bulls eyes 😂

Amulya

I'm not seeing it. Not sure I want to see it. Point it out anyway and satisfy the masochist in my costuming soul. I'm old-fashioned enough to think that costumes should enhance one's performance and not distract from it by revealing or pretending to reveal everything from dancer's soup to nuts (excuse the expression, gentlemen; it was an unintended double entendre but I think I'll leave it because it amuses me in an adolescent way). I've watched more than more than one performance where I was preoccupied by thoughts like, "How in the hell is she keeping that thing on?"

hahahahaha! Seen that too, and more often it was bum cheeks than boobs. But I prefer performance enhancing costumes too.
answer to the question: maybe glue? 🤔

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Bumped into this random costume. can it be changed? All the elements don’t match
To slightly paraphrase Rita Rudner: It would look so much better on fire! I have to say that is the fugliest costume I've seen in awhile - but I can't really put my finger on the "why" of it...