Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Greek Bonfire

There's a dancer in Australia who designs her own costumes, and they look like these. She wears them to ultra gigs too. I don't get it.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't get it either. Its not that its *bad*, its just not *good* - and its a bit on the scary side. Slits up to the hip are one thing, but a half inch away from pubic hair is another!

Amulya

Today I got spam from a belly dance shop I had never heard of before, and sadly, basically everything they sell (and they sell a lot of items!) is ….. questionable. Here are two of my favourite most questionable costumes from that site:

Attachments

• F2294030-D513-4199-97ED-0D7C458D9C54.jpeg
    F2294030-D513-4199-97ED-0D7C458D9C54.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 684CA38F-D083-43A6-9DF8-3AACAD808039.jpeg
    684CA38F-D083-43A6-9DF8-3AACAD808039.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 9

Suzanne Azhaar

Today I got spam from a belly dance shop I had never heard of before, and sadly, basically everything they sell (and they sell a lot of items!) is ….. questionable. Here are two of my favourite most questionable costumes from that site:

The black one is just hideous. The purple has a good concept, but quality materials, skilled sewing, and design is completely lacking. The direction of dance costumes is moving toward disposable garments (that look trashy) versus quality product that's cherished and respected.

Shanazel

There's a dancer in Australia who designs her own costumes, and they look like these. She wears them to ultra gigs too. I don't get it.

Such costumes pander to what too many people think of as belly dance: hot girls displaying lots of flesh, all of it jiggling. Genuine cultural and artistic aspects optional. Makes me sound like a prude (which would make anyone who knows me laugh) but I still think the costume should enhance the dance, and I don't see how that's possible if one's audience is wondering how the costume is staying on and/or when it is going to fall off.

Suzanne Azhaar

Such costumes pander to what too many people think of as belly dance: hot girls displaying lots of flesh, all of it jiggling. Genuine cultural and artistic aspects optional. Makes me sound like a prude (which would make anyone who knows me laugh) but I still think the costume should enhance the dance, and I don't see how that's possible if one's audience is wondering how the costume is staying on and/or when it is going to fall off.

Or if they are going to be flashed.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

The black one is just hideous. The purple has a good concept, but quality materials, skilled sewing, and design is completely lacking. The direction of dance costumes is moving toward disposable garments (that look trashy) versus quality product that's cherished and respected.
Pretty much this. The black one is not only fugly, its a pop-out special. The purple one has potential, but please cover the boy shorts at least...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Or if they are going to be flashed.
Exactly. One of my teachers always said "Don't terrify your audience!". Pop-out specials terrify audiences - and they won't see your dancing AT ALL, they'll be too busy waiting for the pop-out. Its actually the same phenomenon as dancing too close to a discarded veil on the floor - the audience will stop watching your dance, and watch your veil instead! :(

Shanazel

Pop out specials. *snork* Wish I'd heard that while I was still teaching.

Years ago I went to a performance in Cheyenne where Kaia was the headliner dancer. I liked her very much, she was a sweetie of a workshop instructor, and could dance, no doubt about it. For the performance she wore what was at the time the most revealing bedlah I'd ever seen. I truly did spend the entire performance wondering if her skirt was going to fall off or show something the audience didn't need to see. Had she appeared before me five minutes after the performance, I'd have had two questions: 1) how is that thing attached, and 2) are you wearing anything under it.

THIS would be very pretty except for the clown face with the gold nose and streamers in the middle of the bra. I think it could be fixed by eliminating the white "eyes." (Photo below)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yea, the bra decoration is unfortunate, but at least it doesn't look like she's gonna pop outta it. I have no problems with revealing costumes, but I want some assurance that the damn thing is under control. The common two panel "wide in back/narrow in front" skirt that results in a pair of slits over the thighs can be beautiful. The pretty much never seen anymore so-called "Turkish" triangular skirt was worn sans underwear back in the day because none would work with it - and I have one. But the key point of all of these are knowing your dance, knowing your venue, knowing your costume and being mindful of what its doing. Pop-out specials with an "explodo-bra" feature aren't the same, it doesn't look under control at all and I've seen more than my share of dancers suddenly streaking off the stage at warp speed as a result! I have lots of understanding and sympathy for my sisters in dance over bras and all their problems (I've heard PLENTY in the dressing room!), but I'm glad I don't have to contend with the things!

Daimona

Argh! Why did I have to see the eyes and the moustache/beard on the bra, when the rest of the costume was so nice?

Shanazel

I know. Once seen, never unseen. Sorry, Daim.

..."Turkish" triangular skirt was worn sans underwear back in the day because none would work with it - and I have one.

Oh, dear. That might create a challenge once things got to, um, swinging.

Ariadne

I think it's just an unfortunate picture with light glinting off the center making it look lighter and the movement creating the "nose".

Publicity photo's are an art for a reason.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I know. Once seen, never unseen. Sorry, Daim.

..."Turkish" triangular skirt was worn sans underwear back in the day because none would work with it - and I have one.

Oh, dear. That might create a challenge once things got to, um, swinging.
Fortunately, my "build" precludes that problem - but I've seen it happen and it ain't pretty!

Shanazel

Had a few minutes to play so went looking for modern costumes online. Visited the Aida Style site and while there were some nice costumes , I came away thinking, "How many design elements can you throw onto a single costume?" My least favorite design elements are 1) enough straps to constitute colorful bondage wear and 2) garters belts. I almost like the one-piece red dress: skin tones of model and dress are so close but so far away, making it look a little out of kilter. Maybe if instead of tanning bed tan for the upper body the skirt fabric color was used? That would be a lot of red, though. I also almost like the orange and blue print skirt costume. Lose the Mardi Gras beads and it might be very nice. The last two are basic sixties costumes that would be improved by losing the garter belts. I like the bras and skirts, though I'd close the skirt in at the sides a bit. I never liked exhibiting that much skin even when my skin was worth exhibiting.

a.jpg b.jpgc.jpgd.jpge.jpg

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Had a few minutes to play so went looking for modern costumes online. Visited the Aida Style site and while there were some nice costumes , I came away thinking, "How many design elements can you throw onto a single costume?" My least favorite design elements are 1) enough straps to constitute colorful bondage wear and 2) garters belts. I almost like the one-piece red dress: skin tones of model and dress are so close but so far away, making it look a little out of kilter. Maybe if instead of tanning bed tan for the upper body the skirt fabric color was used? That would be a lot of red, though. I also almost like the orange and blue print skirt costume. Lose the Mardi Gras beads and it might be very nice. The last two are basic sixties costumes that would be improved by losing the garter belts. I like the bras and skirts, though I'd close the skirt in at the sides a bit. I never liked exhibiting that much skin even when my skin was worth exhibiting.

View attachment 11411 View attachment 11412View attachment 11413View attachment 11414View attachment 11415
I like the last two - although myself I wouldn't wear those terrifying skirts, but I've seen this style many times and it works well for those who can pull it off. Hell, I'm nervous enough with that Turkish outfit I have!

I'm with you on the Mardi Gras bead thing - it might be OK without. "Pailette explosion" needs a pole.