Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Daimona

I've danced in several mermaid style skirts, and apart from the one beeing too small and with too little flare, they all worked out and behaved well and did not restrict my movements at all (main fabric: jersey/knits, with flare from just above the knee, with or without slits).

Personally, I cannot wear full circle skirts or A-shaped skirts because they make me look like a hobbit dressing up.

But we may all have different bodies, preferences and personal dance style.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'm looking forward to the proposed mermaids - although I may change my mind once I see the reality. I only tried one briefly - and the semi-mermaid that I wear on occasion in mundania sure isn't something I'd want to dance in.

Next up: Hobble skirts! ;)

Harry

I've danced in several mermaid style skirts, and apart from the one beeing too small and with too little flare, they all worked out and behaved well and did not restrict my movements at all (main fabric: jersey/knits, with flare from just above the knee, with or without slits).

Personally, I cannot wear full circle skirts or A-shaped skirts because they make me look like a hobbit dressing up.

But we may all have different bodies, preferences and personal dance style.

Takk for synspunkt, Daimona.

Everybody needs to remember that every dancer has a different body. One type skirt that looks absolutely gorgeous on Dancer A, when worn by Dancer B may look absolutely crappy. :poop:

Greek Bonfire

The girl who made this is on Facebook. Apparently its being sold by a completely different belly dancer she doesn't even know. The lady who made said its 30 years old and is amazed its still around.

I previously owned two bedlahs that were even older than thirty years old. They were still in very good shape. They were really built to last.

Daimona

The girl who made this is on Facebook. Apparently its being sold by a completely different belly dancer she doesn't even know. The lady who made said its 30 years old and is amazed its still around.

That's cool. Once you sell a costume, you have no idea where and when (or if) it comes to the surface again.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That's cool. Once you sell a costume, you have no idea where and when (or if) it comes to the surface again.
Reminds me of a skirt that was passed around the local sisterhood for Goddess only knows how long. Goddess only knows the who/where of it as it was too long on everybody. It eventually found its way to me, and it was too long on me too - and I'm six feet tall, albeit with a long torso and short legs for my height. I cut the top off of it and made a new elastic casing and have been dancing in it ever since!

Super short video of it in action:

Shanazel

The last time I went to the rec center recital to see my former students perform, I had to smile at the sight of several of my veils wafting about the stage. I bought the yellow one in 1978, and that three and a half yards of chiffon has been around the block, lemme tell ya. When I retired, I hauled all my veils to my last class and asked my dancers to each take one to remember me by. It makes me happy to know the veils and parts of my costumes are still dancing even though I'm not.

Greek Bonfire

Not for dancing in for sure, but it has a very interesting history:

View attachment 11445

A thing of beauty, but also a face plant special! I'd need attendants just to walk in the thing...

It looks like some kind of wedding dress!

Amulya

Definitely in a costume exploration mode. Found THIS explanation of costume styles; haven't read all of it yet, but figured I'd better share it before I forgot where I found it. Other costumes below. I love the red one and the deep blue one, though the latter would be better with the skirt closed at the hip band since all the slit to the belt does is reveal the dancer's underwear. I don't much like the bandaged boob look that has been popular the last few years. The colors on that one are just slightly off, just short of being beautiful together.

View attachment 11425

OMG the ‘boob sling for the mammary accident’ is back! Remember on Bhuz that was one of the first posted ‘thought provoking costumes‘ (can’t remember who found it but she called it the boobsling for mammary accident, never forgot that one haha)
That might have been 20 years ago….

Amulya

I wonder if some of mine ever resurface haha. I gave away a costume a few years back that needed a lot of inner work done to make it useable. It had fantastic beading but just badly made on the inside. I wasn’t going to do that, so I asked around if someone was interested, and yes I had a taker. I wonder what she has turned it into!
Costume:

Attachments

• 215BF028-87F2-4716-A848-EC9E22FD6684.jpeg
    215BF028-87F2-4716-A848-EC9E22FD6684.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 6