Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

LadyLoba

That yellow one is missing the bottom...it looks like they put an extremely big fringe on the belt to make up for having no pants or skirt...

That santa looking one did have to be a joke....no other explanation for that from an otherwise professional appearing dancer...

Jane

"Pirate Renaissance Belly Dancing Tribal Cropped Choli Bodice"

Besides the unconnected nomenclature f$&k#%y, the main skulls are upside-down.

Belly dance- it's all about the tassel.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

No, I don't have pictures. But today I was at the big sale (local store owned by FABULOUS dancer who sells costumes), and in the "scratch and dent" bin was a forlorn belt.

We think that the design house that made it made a custom costume with the belt the wrong size, made a new belt for the person who ordered it, and threw this in as bonus for the proprietress.

Because it was a lovely blend of sea greens and pearly tones, and because I could always (ahem) take on a new project if I just have the right fabric (hmm . . . beledi dress?), I tried it on.

Not only did it have a crassel, an assel, and a sparkle fart (AB rhinestone with purple tones in JUST the right spot), it had cascaded loop fringe in a location that I christened "the coochie loop."

My friends seemed to revel in all of that "new" terminology.

So, to corrupt Robert Frost, I saved that belt for another day, yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubt I shall ever look back.

;)

LadyLoba

Grandma called, she wants her coasters back.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'd buy this for a belly dance belt...if I were performing for my cat and all his friends...they'd love it. Wouldn't have any concept of what I was doing...but they'd appreciate the giant string toy....

I actually like the second black one...but I like it as clubwear. It doesnt look anything like a belly dance costume at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanazel

"Coochie loop."

*snork*

Has anyone ever bothered to capture all our TPBDC terminology into a cohesive list? Belly dance movement vocab may not be standardized but there's no reason OD can't lead the field in codizing TPBDC terminology.

Aniseteph

.... nomenclature f$&k#%y... "things not remotely belly dance"

Regretsy YAY!

Every time I look at Etsy it is so full of "not remotely belly dance"... where would you start?

Etsy - that reminds me... I saw this and thought a) Shanazel's new years resolution, and b) you'd have to be so careful about geting finger marks.

Shanazel

Close but not quite to the one I wouldn't wear. My never wwear breast plate has spirals on the cups that come to sharp tips at the nipples, like the axle spokes on the chariots in Ben Hur.

Amulya

That horse indeed! It's too cute!

I wish I could come up with a Regretsy-like name for my blog hahaha! Or Regretsy needs a 'not remotely belly dance' section and they can rip off my blog :p
I don't know why they don't have a section already; they do have a 'not remotely steam punk one'. But you could end up making so many of these type of sections, it's endless. Maybe they should just have a 'not remotely'.