Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Sirène

Got some very strange stuff in my mail, and found those ones with price tags on Etsy. One was advertised as new and the other as vintage...

Number two looks like a refugee from Fredericks of Hollywood "Ultra Sexy Teddies" line :shok:

Jane

Hey...Ive found a solution to my problem of looking down at my hips or abs and not keeping my face in my dancing...I'll just put another face on my butt and perform everything with my back to the audience. :lol:

Let's hope the face is on the butt side...

Amulya

Those enormous tassles on the last one! I think she's trying but just not sure exactly what works and what not. A corset just doesn't make sense, if you're a belly dancer you'd know that.

LadyLoba

I like the second one minus the rope looking things...but as going out/club wear not as a belly dance costume. On some of these...I think people don't realize that "belly dance" isn't the same thing as "moving your hips when you go out dancing at a club." Sure...you can incorporate belly dance moves into social dancing...and as belly dance developed Im sure elements of social dances of the various cultures became a part of it...but belly dancing and dancing at a club arent the same thing and dont take the same clothing...

Harry

Male opinion :cool:: I don't think any of the three are particularly flattering. Indeed, the second one doesn't make me think of belly dance.

LadyLoba

Women Dance Wear Mercerized Cotton Belly Outfits More Colors Available - US$ 19.99

I couldnt get the picture on here...just the link. But the thought it provoked was "pajamas." This doesn't even resemble a belly dance costume...or any kind of dance costume.

Dancewear Mercerized Cotton Practice Belly Tops for Ladies More Colors - US$ 7.59

This one...the top isnt bad and I can see the look they're going for..but something about the belt, and the print and fabric on the pants just makes it look bizarre to me...

Shanazel

Hmm. That first one bears a strong resemblance to my own jammies (different color) and the second looks like something my daughter wears to bed each night. Don't know how she sleeps in those colors; they'd keep me awake. :cool:

Darshiva

That pink thing you posted LL, that looks really fun. I'd definitely give it a go for dancing around in at home with a hipscarf on. It'd be better with a fabulous print though, of course.

SeeJaneDance

But the thought it provoked was "pajamas."

COMFY pajamas!

It's funny, too, because obviously you can ruche up the center of the top, but they don't show it worn that way in any of the gazillion pictures. I'm with Darshiva, I'd wear it to practice in at home, or even in class. Not in public, though.

Darshiva

Given the hedge maze she has growing on her head, it may well be! (I looked at my pattern & couldn't tell, sorry!)

LadyLoba

I'm thinking that hot pink pajamas looking one I found is supposed to be a practice set....something you buy when you want something a little special for belly dance class/practice instead of the same sweats-leggings-yoga pants and a sports bra or tee that you wear for lounging or other kinds of exercise. I practice in sweat pants and a tee shirt that kind of looks like a not as cute version of that.

I'd just hope someone wouldnt buy that for a performance costume....on stage that would look like you jumped out of bed and forgot to take your shower and get dressed.

Shanazel

The olive *snorkle*. Wonder if I have any hazelnuts left from the Christmas basket? They'd be about the right size for a belly button jewel.

LadyLoba

Fot the belly dance addict who wants belly dance pajamas I guess.

That reminds me of the American TV show "How I Met Your Mother"..."Barney" on that show loves dressing up in his suits so much he has a set of suit pajamas. :lol: Just hope they don't decide to add belly dance inspired swim wear to their belly dance pajamas...all those beads and sequins might not float so well :)

Amulya

A few costumes for thought:

(amazing dancer!)
New Baladi by Orit - YouTube

This nude costume got too many holes. Cut-outs on nude fabric don't make sense. The armpit holes, ok on traditional costumes, but here it makes it look like it falls apart and as if the costume is too big at the armpits:

Yana Tsehotskaya @ Primorye CUP '11. - YouTube!

Has the thong-belt-skirt combination from Dina moved to mainstream fashion?
Is There A Worldwide Shortage of Jean Material? - Poorly Dressed People of the World - Fashion Fails

Some more pictures, the one with the face, the person who posted that one put that there to show that the bra looks like crying eyes.

The last one...they used up all the scraps of leftover fringe?

Sirène

I like the pj one. I don't think it should leave the house, but it's cute for prancing from room to room. ;)

A few costumes for thought:
New Baladi by Orit

That outfit is blegh... for so many reasons. The largest offender is the gigantic crotch jewel.

This nude costume got too many holes. Cut-outs on nude fabric don't make sense. The armpit holes, ok on traditional costumes, but here it makes it look like it falls apart and as if the costume is too big at the armpits: Yana Tsehotskaya @ Primorye CUP '11

I suspect the fabric is mesh in which case the armpit holes strike me as unnecessary and only serve to take away from the elegance of the costume. 'Skin' is always sexy, so I can understand the side cut-outs, I just wish she wasn't flashing her bra band everytime she raises her arms. The bra should have been built in, or at least pinned to the dress to prevent that.

There's more trouble in the lower half: the skirt opening is too high (thank heavens she's wearing underwear), and despite the strategic backside beading, the audience is getting occasional crack-in-the-back.

With alterations it could be a winner.

Has the thong-belt-skirt combination from Dina moved to mainstream fashion?

Oh god no :(

Some more pictures, the one with the face, the person who posted that one put that there to show that the bra looks like crying eyes.

The last one...they used up all the scraps of leftover fringe?

1. Has great potential if some TLC was given to the straps.
  2. I can't tell what the hell is going on. Where does her headpiece end and her bra begin? Is that a bandeau with some strategically drapped necklaces? :confused:
  3. Fail on every level.
  4. Ditto.
  5. The sad face has biased me. :lol:
  6. So-so... the dangling decoration under the bra needs to go.

Thoughts on this outfit?