Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Starmouth

The pink and black costume Elena is wearing is a bit ick in my opinion. She looks a bit like an old west saloon girl. Not too keen on the dancing either - nice, crisp movement, but stop pointing your bum at me! :lol:

Shanazel

Oh, Orit, Orit. Such a wonderful dancer, such bad judgement about costumes. Looks like she's wearing a white lingerie bra and bicycle shorts under that thing.

I'm not a fan of the pink and black costume because there is much going on: ruffles, straps, arm wraps, etc. etc. Not keen on seeing that much leg during a dance, either.

Ariadne

A few costumes for thought:

It looks unfinished but it's not a bad start.

Thoughts on this outfit?
Her right breast is staring at me.... "Look into the swirl... you are getting sleepy..."

I like the layering she has going on in the costume but it needs a step back to check the balance and focus. A chiffon underskirt wouldn't hurt either.

LadyLoba

I like the dancing...but the costume distracts from it. She does a very impressive pelvic lift into a reverse undulation combination that I almost missed because of that big roll of trim sticking up on the side...and she does a freeze shimmy...one of my favorite moves...(that I cant do)...but you actually cant see the whole movement in the lower abs because that trim is also blocking it. A nice black bra and belt set cut to flatter her figure and a solid pink chiffon skirt would have given the same look without all the distraction.

Harry

The mail viewpoint: Sirene, my thoughts on that outfit is that it is parts of two outfits. Half a costume on the left, half a costume on the right... Or else, I just don't get it... Personally, I prefer seeing outfits that are a bit more... bilateral is the word I think I'm seeking.

LadyLoba

Youre right...it does look like half of one costume haphazardly sewn on to half of another.

I just watched the last video clips Amulya posted...the first one...it makes me think of science fiction movies. and the second one...the sheer with the cutouts and the pink and black sparkles over it...made me remember to go check and see if my laundry is done drying on the rack. That stretchy see through naked look fabric is the same as the lingerie I bought to be invisible under my suits for work :lol:

Last edited:

jenc

The second one I love - however it's unfortumate that it shows her bra when moving - those side cut outs are just too big

Sirène

I'm surprised no one mentioned the hot pink gloves... :lol: The pink & black has potential, I think, and I dare admit... I like the swirl. :redface:

What about this one?

eta: I originally linked the video, but I'll link the "Sale" post instead.

Brown Glitter Print Bella

Video of it was recently posted in the "drum solo" thread, though I remember noticing it a long time ago on the dancer's website. I love her (it's a FABULOUS drum solo) and I love Bella's designs, but this outfit was a complete miss for me. It reminds me of the "thong-belt-skirt combination" from Amulya's earlier post. :(

Last edited:

SeeJaneDance

The skirt is sitting way too low for my comfort, and I think the sparse fringe, combined with the color (which in the video makes her look very monochromatic) wasn't the right choice... I'm sure in a better quality video, or a good photo, it's much prettier...

PracticalDancer

Gentle reminder, folks: we have started discussing costumes that are not for sale. I have been gently reminded not to do that, so now it is my turn to recall that "rule."

Amulya

I'm surprised no one mentioned the hot pink gloves... :lol: The pink & black has potential, I think, and I dare admit... I like the swirl. :redface:

What about this one?

eta: I originally linked the video, but I'll link the "Sale" post instead.

Brown Glitter Print Bella

Video of it was recently posted in the "drum solo" thread, though I remember noticing it a long time ago on the dancer's website. I love her (it's a FABULOUS drum solo) and I love Bella's designs, but this outfit was a complete miss for me. It reminds me of the "thong-belt-skirt combination" from Amulya's earlier post. :(

One of the rare ones I don't like. But can be altered I think :)

Darshiva

Posting this one because the thought the costume provokes in me is envy! Does anyone know who the designer is?

Amulya

Here is some sort of intrepretarion of a belly dance costume in a Bollywood movie from 1982....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: